Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:07 AM

60 posts, read 93,152 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are relocating from outside of New York State because my husband is taking a job located near Court Square in LIC. We are an academically oriented family of four, my kids going into 8th and 11th grade.

I am wondering several things:

1). If we can't move before June of next year, does that mean we are basically stuck with what remains at the end of the NY City rat race of a school admissions process (I used to live in NY, so I know the basic framework, though I it may have changed)? If so, are there good zoned schools in Queens?

2). What neighborhoods do folks recommend for a bi-racial, progressive family that loves good food, a walking culture and trees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 11:22 AM

911 posts, read 1,127,620 times
1.) For your 11th grader, no matter what month you move, your only option will be your zoned school. Your 8 grader will have more choices as to what high school they will go to, but middle school will probably be limited to the zoned school. Your only options will be to place them in private school.

2.) Given your children's needs, and where your husband works, I would say the best neighborhoods for your family would be Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. Parts of Rego Park would also be worth considering. They provide a short commute on the E for your husband, and Forest Hills High School would be a decent school for your 11th grader.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:37 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,830,213 times
I second Forest Hills. There are a lot of nice family-oriented neighborhoods closer to LIC in Western Queens, but unfortunately they are all zoned for lower performing high schools with challenging school cultures (LIC HS, Bryant HS, Newtown HS). If you prefer a more suburban neighborhood with good zoned high schools, but with a much longer commute, I'd look into NE Queens (Fresh Meadows, Whitestone, Bayside).

Old 08-28-2018, 11:44 AM

1,486 posts, read 979,903 times
Thats going to be a huge upset for the 7th grader because they wont be able to graduate will all the friends they made over the years in their current school and starting over in a new school in the last year is never fun especially with NYC kids in middle school.

As for the 11th grader they will have it easier because they will have 2 years to create new friends and relationships in time to graduate.

you want bi-racial community? what mix are we talking?
when someone says bi-racial it usually means black mixed with something. If Asian, then queens. If white then Brooklyn/LI. If Hispanic, it wont really matter as that's everywhere....

Welcome back to NYC!!!
Breathe it all in, that smell you will never forget it lol.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
1.) For your 11th grader, no matter what month you move, your only option will be your zoned school. Your 8 grader will have more choices as to what high school they will go to, but middle school will probably be limited to the zoned school. Your only options will be to place them in private school.

2.) Given your children's needs, and where your husband works, I would say the best neighborhoods for your family would be Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. Parts of Rego Park would also be worth considering. They provide a short commute on the E for your husband, and Forest Hills High School would be a decent school for your 11th grader.
Hi ... can you explain more about what it means for my 11th grader? Do you mean that they can't transfer into 11th grade into any school but the zoned school? So none of the screened schools take kids entering the 11th grade?

Rebecca

Old 08-28-2018, 12:45 PM

428 posts, read 498,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeston View Post
Hi ... can you explain more about what it means for my 11th grader? Do you mean that they can't transfer into 11th grade into any school but the zoned school? So none of the screened schools take kids entering the 11th grade?

Rebecca
i know the specialized high schools do not take in 11th graders.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Rebecca
As far as I know, most admissions based high-schools only accept transfers up until the 10th grade. I do not know of any non zoned academically rigorous public high schools that will accept transfers for the 11th grade. That is why I suggested forest hills. Forest Hills Highschool has is a decent zoned school, with a respectable honors program. If your child has the grades to prove it, I see no reason why they wouldn’t be admitted into the honors program at the school.

I know this may sound unfair to you, but in reality it makes sense. Any rigorous academic school worth their salt will not want half of their student’s grades coming from a school where they have no control over the quality of the education. It’s also unfair to the other students. Class ranking plays a large role in college admissions, and having a student gain an advantage because half their grades come from a less challenging school would be unfair to the other students. Ergo, most (if not all) screened schools will not accept transfer after the 10th grade.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:01 PM

Wow. Much to consider ... thanks for letting me know all of this. It may be that we can head to Gorest Hills, but more likely, will try Westchester County or NJ to avoid this rat race. My kids are actually honor students and we care a great deal about college prep options, so this is pretty discouraging.

But thanks for the info ... it’s exsctky what I needed!

Rebecca

Old 08-28-2018, 01:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 978,103 times
do you have any idea how long it takes to commute from NJ to Queens? why not LI? it has the best schools in the country

Quote:
Wow. Much to consider ... thanks for letting me know all of this. It may be that we can head to Gorest Hills, but more likely, will try Westchester County or NJ to avoid this rat race. My kids are actually honor students and we care a great deal about college prep options, so this is pretty discouraging.

Rebecca

Old 08-28-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Rebecca
Try not to be too discouraged. Study after study has shown that having a parent involved in their child’s education is one of the most important factors to the child’s academic success. The fact that you’re on this forum looking for answers can only mean that they already have an advantage.

The reason I suggested Forrest Hills to you is because you mentioned diversity as something you were looking for. Forest Hills is certainly more white than many neighborhoods in NYC, but compared to the places you’ll be considering in N.J. and west Chester, it’s a lot more diverse.

What I suggest to you is to visit the Board of Education or Forest Hill Highschool in Person. Explain to them that you’ll be moving soon to the area and you want your children to go to the best possible academic program available to them. Remember, while your 11th grader may have somewhat of a limited choice, your 8th grader is at the right time to get into one of the specialized schools. Plus, it’s not all negative for your 11th grader. The city offers many programs to city kids that either helps them get ready for college or allows them to take college courses in Highschool (I am not talking about AP courses.) it’s all about being proactive enough and taking advantage of such programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: