Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:24 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Where and when did you graduate?
Not going to answer that on a public forum and it does not matter. CUNY should be a University with only professional and serious students - it should not be like some 13th grade that allows easy access to higher education for kids that simply are not serious and just go to college because they get freebie scholarships for their color of skin or whatever other country they are coming from.

CUNY's community colleges are practically like adult day care centers for local high school students from the hood who are clueless so they just do what they are told.

Anyways, here is what I want to do with CUNY's community colleges: kick everyone out of there and gut the place for a major remodel. Turn each campus into a mix of shared Entrepreneurial start-up offices, on-site residences, copy/print/internet/library/ resource centers, good food sources that allow each campus to be self sufficient, professional meeting rooms, and state of the art performance stages and broadcasting.

I really do not want any CUNY students hanging around my futuristic campuses, because they just slow down everything with their "diverse" thinking. Just keep those CUNY students - away.

I'd like to put those campus properties into good use for the future, and get those community college students outta there!! They can go online and learn all the same stuff for free somewhere else. Go to the NYPL. Go online. It's all free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 07:41 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksobotka View Post
Lol where did you go that you don’t realise the most significant and better performing CUNY schools were literally founded by and to serve poor/working class minorities (mostly Jewish students and later students of color)? Go to a private white college if this grates on you so much. I love CUNY and have been receiving an excellent education. My main issue is the growth of tuition and lacking accommodating for student families/accessibility issues for students with mobility disabilities. Which is a common thread in the world of higher ed anyway.
Sometimes you just need that dose of reality.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Franksobotka again."

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
NYWriterdude got his masters degree in Writing but definitely is not Researching anything he writes about.
My masters is in English Education, not in writing.

There is no such thing as a degree in researching.

My undergraduate degree is in history and my specialty Latin American studies.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I am a strong supporter of education, however, when I hear the word CUNY, all I can think of is an administrative nightmare, red tape, bureaucracy, and the list goes on and on.

I looked at the campus map for Kingsborough and it's a pretty huge property. My suggestion is to improve that property and improve transportation to that property for people.

The commute time is where I see the most opportunity for improvement because they already have the largest education system in our country. They have an entire constellation of interconnected schools.

During my time with CUNY, I would be clear that I want to attend a specific campus at a specific borough and they really could care less if a students commute to class was 10 minutes or 2 hours.

Also in my opinion, CUNY is overboard on "diversity". Too many poor me I'm a Girl, or poor me I'm a Person of Color. Blah. Not a fan of that sort of diversity BS.
What do you expect from a public university that has mandates from the city to serve its populace, half of whom were not born in the US? CUNY is doing what NYC politicians require of it.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
At first I read that bolded text above as un-deserving, not under-served. Ha.

I only have experience as a student at numerous schools. If I was in charge of CUNY, I would can their entire administration, do a complete 180 with their leadership processes, and get rid of all of their community colleges. No more "diversity", "equal opportunity", gender cleansing, affirmative action, and all that ultra Liberal garbage. In my opinion, those processes have ruined CUNY's entire ecosystem and their product (education) is just background noise now. Education is really not what CUNY is for anymore. CUNY is really just a machine for propagating the buzzwords: diversity, equal opportunity, affirmative action, etc..

That is just my experience with CUNY, which was not a good one in any way shape or form.
Did you graduate from any of those schools?

CUNY is a public university receiving massive taxpayer subsidies. So of course they accept working class people, immigrants, the poor, those needing second chances. CUNY is not meant to be Columbia or Harvard and it never will be.

You would never be allowed to run CUNY as your stance is too contrary to the City Council, the Mayor, and NYC politics.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:18 AM

116 posts, read 77,889 times
Quote:
Not going to answer that on a public forum and it does not matter. CUNY should be a University with only professional and serious students - it should not be like some 13th grade that allows easy access to higher education for kids that simply are not serious and just go to college because they get freebie scholarships for their color of skin or whatever other country they are coming from.

CUNY's community colleges are practically like adult day care centers for local high school students from the hood who are clueless so they just do what they are told.

Anyways, here is what I want to do with CUNY's community colleges: kick everyone out of there and gut the place for a major remodel. Turn each campus into a mix of shared Entrepreneurial start-up offices, on-site residences, copy/print/internet/library/ resource centers, good food sources that allow each campus to be self sufficient, professional meeting rooms, and state of the art performance stages and broadcasting.

I really do not want any CUNY students hanging around my futuristic campuses, because they just slow down everything with their "diverse" thinking. Just keep those CUNY students - away.

I'd like to put those campus properties into good use for the future, and get those community college students outta there!! They can go online and learn all the same stuff for free somewhere else. Go to the NYPL. Go online. It's all free.

You sound bitter. Admissions and financial aid are two separate things. Admissions are score based on non community college campuses. Community colleges are supposed to be open to all to help them get back on track. This is basic common sense. Financial aid is based on income, not on race. There are few to none race based or gender based scholarships that could cover any significant portion of cost of tuition.

CUNY schools perform well statistically. They have one of the highest rates of social mobility. They work. They could work better, absolutely. I will continue to argue that this is because a) rising tuition rates and lacking affordable accommodation drive more students into full time employment which means less study time, b) not all public schools in NYC are equal or have equal access to resources to adequately prepare students for college, c) as with any university, 18 is really young so of course half the kids aren’t taking t seriously. This is the truth on any non-ivy league college campus and exists in the Ivy League as well d) professors are not being paid enough. When you hire all adjuncts and pay them less than minimum wage to teach, you’re playing with fire and it will begin to affect staff morale. That said, those adjuncts generally work very hard.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:55 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,501 times
That was a pretty spectacular fail you just dished out. I rest my case your honor.

I'd have all of those CUNY community colleges demolished to the ground and then hold a series of glorious celebrations for the whole city with big champagne parties, with free steaks for everyone. London broils. Together we will forge into the future and teach people about the availability of free information, in the Information Age. Everyone is invited to my parties people from every background and shade of color in the world - even college students who have a decayed ability to think for themselves, we welcome all to the parties. Maybe people will even enjoy learning a thing or two.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:12 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
I am all for it as long as you employ non liberals.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:08 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I am all for it as long as you employ non liberals.
Well, I think shying away from politics in classrooms is generally a good idea, but also don’t think it should have any bearing on the matter unless is impacts instruction in the subject matter.

I think a jobs-oriented STEMs focus might make sense.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:30 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
As SeventhFloor stated, Kingsborough is the one and only community college in Brooklyn. It's a sizable one, but it's also all the way out at the very end of Manhattan Beach. For those living in and near downtown Brooklyn, BMCC is accessible, and for North Brooklyn, LaGuardia is accessible. However, these are quite a bit further out for eastern Brooklyn. Setting another community college in Broadway Junction serves eastern Brooklyn which can use it, and would also help serve parts of Queens like the Rockaways and southwestern and southeastern Queens given where the A train and J/Z trains run as well as the LIRR.
I'm pretty sure CityTech has a 2 year program in addition to a 4 year program (the same thing with CSI and probably a few of the other 4 year CUNYs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City