Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 04:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Rockaway had dollar vans since the 1980s. Two routes. One goes to Parsons and Archer, roughly following the path of the 113, and the one route goes down the beach to Beach 90th, sometimes to Beach 116th, similar to the Q22.
I stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 11:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I always assumed these dollar vans are for Hudson County to Manhattan.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:28 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I always assumed these dollar vans are for Hudson County to Manhattan.

Nope, as previously stated dollar vans have been around for about three decades now.

Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, etc.... any area poorly served by taxis, buses or subways. Even bus routes would see action as people would pay for rides to subway stations or whatever.

There were debates/arguments going back also decades to allow livery/for hire cars to "hail" fares which was supposed to (in theory) cut down on dollar vans. IIRC under Bloomberg some of that did happen, but would have to research further.

For those who can afford/have the technology Uber and other share services have largely replaced dollar vans.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
They are all over Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn. Honestly, people use them because they are cheaper than the bus, and they are much quicker than the bus as they are smaller and can maneuver more easily than buses can. I've been in one less than a handful of times. Probably wouldn't do it again, though, unless I was in a hurry to get someplace and the bus just wouldn't cut it.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:13 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
They are all over Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn. Honestly, people use them because they are cheaper than the bus, and they are much quicker than the bus as they are smaller and can maneuver more easily than buses can. I've been in one less than a handful of times. Probably wouldn't do it again, though, unless I was in a hurry to get someplace and the bus just wouldn't cut it.
Curious. If they're cheaper and quicker than the bus, why wouldn't you want to ride the vans again? What's the drawback?

Old 09-02-2018, 12:57 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Curious. If they're cheaper and quicker than the bus, why wouldn't you want to ride the vans again? What's the drawback?
You're kidding right?

These are unlicensed vehicles with drivers of questionable skills and or even themselves with no license. You don't know who these drivers are, and worse since they don't carry proper (taxi/livery/for hire) insurance. If something happens to you while in such a vehicle you're on your own, as it will be near impossible to collect anything.

Even if drivers have required NYS automobile insurance including liability carriers will refuse to pay any claims if the guy was operating a for hire vehicle, as that requires different insurance.

None of this touches the fact you don't know who you're getting into those vans with or are being driven by. You think Uber/share drivers invented rape and or abuse of passengers?

Remember news stories back it the 1980's and 1990's about NYPD stops on these drivers finding a bizarre and vast array of egits behind the wheel. Ex-cons (some with very nasty and or long rap sheets), unlicensed drivers, those who had repeated/long list of license suspensions, illegal aliens, etc....

Old 09-02-2018, 02:52 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
They take only cash, which can be a good thing or bad thing (I like the convenience of a Metrocard, etc.). But I also don't trust them as most aren't even licensed. They are just a bit too shady for me to be using regularly.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:54 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
I took dollar vans to see my voice teacher who was in a double fare zone at the time. I did it because the wait for the bus to get was sometimes ridiculously long. I was 16 years old. One dollar van took me as a passenger, and then pulled over, without my permission and started playing with his monkey in front of me. That's why people would be deterred.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

The sweat smell, the crowding, the often changing routes. I've done them twice and got the feeling I was in Dogpatch.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:55 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
They take only cash, which can be a good thing or bad thing (I like the convenience of a Metrocard, etc.). But I also don't trust them as most aren't even licensed. They are just a bit too shady for me to be using regularly.
Oh, ok. Like the Chinatown buses, I guess. Never rode those but heard nightmare stories about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City