Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times

Advertisements

The stories told by subway panhandlers all sound the same. I have my doubts about them especially when they look well feed, have a clean coat, or carry along a plump little child. I've read plenty on "beggers" who make more money an hour than working a minimum wage job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 02:51 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,729,934 times
Oh, one of those jerks has been back on the 1/2/3 in the last couple of months. You'll notice that most of the time you don't see much actual food. I bet if they have anything at all in there they get discarded sandwiches that they use for a week or more.

On the other hand, man, it's amazing how credulous "sophisticated" NYers become when they hear from a friend of a friend of a friend of a social worker that she knew a subway panhandler who went home to bathe in caviar in a Park Avenue penthouse. It has to be better than nothing or people wouldn't do it over time, but LOL at people trying to pencil the math out as if they went continuously from train to train, receiving consistent amounts, for hours straight, and without expenses.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:22 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Anyone out there in that situation should not be on the subway begging for change. they have so many government services that can help. Job Corp is one of them if they are under 24. They get a free bed, food, education, and job placement as long as they behave themselves.

I have family members that went through that program where they lived on site and came out a nurse, and an electrician making good money.
So many non profits too. You can get internet access for free at a public library and find help somewhere. I don't believe anyone on the train.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:35 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Anyone out there in that situation should not be on the subway begging for change. they have so many government services that can help. Job Corp is one of them if they are under 24. They get a free bed, food, education, and job placement as long as they behave themselves.
I have family members that went through that program where they lived on site and came out a nurse, and an electrician making good money.
Technically, you're absolutely right. There are abundant government avenues.

But in the real world, I have to say that I am constantly stunned by the basic ignorance and helplessness of so many people.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:38 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
So where do they get the food from? Those sandwiches always looked suspect.

If you are referring to the homeless, I've said repeatedly but some of you are trying not to hear.

Large answer to your query is the trash thrown out nightly by supermarkets, bakeries, Starbucks and other places that sell food.

As have said over and over again; every single homeless person knows (or soon learns) who throws out what when and acts accordingly.

You can't pass a pile of Starbuck's garbage backs without observing they have been molested/opened.

Got off subway last week and right in front of Starbuck's at 8th and 23rd was a big ole homeless guy with an opened bag of garbage having a picnic from all that thrown away food/sandwiches. All those unsold meal/lunch kits from SB get thrown out every other day or so as well. So the homeless and dumpster divers have a feast.

Lather, rinse and repeat.

Pick a shop/store; Agatha Valentina, Morton Williams, Starbucks, Gristedes, D'agostino's, Pain de Quotidien, Maison Kayser, etc...anyplace that sells food, go by after closing (if not before), and you'll see homeless along with dumpster divers digging through dumpsters, cans and bags.

Think about it; how many *under nourished* homeless do you see on NYC streets? Aside from the obviously ill nil to none. More so many have been living rough for years if not decades. That means some how or way they are obtaining food. Given the obesity one sees in that population it doesn't seem as if any are in danger of starvation anytime soon.

Some places now to get a jump on the competition homeless will camp out near closing time and or when they know trash is being put on curb by workers.

Now in this heat and humid weather one questions the wisdom and or sanity of eating anything from a plastic bag or whatever off the street, but guess beggars can't be choosers. Equally gross is seeing these people dig/move around trash bags while on the other side rats or mice are scurrying out of the way.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:19 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If you are referring to the homeless, I've said repeatedly but some of you are trying not to hear.

Large answer to your query is the trash thrown out nightly by supermarkets, bakeries, Starbucks and other places that sell food.

As have said over and over again; every single homeless person knows (or soon learns) who throws out what when and acts accordingly.

You can't pass a pile of Starbuck's garbage backs without observing they have been molested/opened.

Got off subway last week and right in front of Starbuck's at 8th and 23rd was a big ole homeless guy with an opened bag of garbage having a picnic from all that thrown away food/sandwiches. All those unsold meal/lunch kits from SB get thrown out every other day or so as well. So the homeless and dumpster divers have a feast.

Lather, rinse and repeat.

Pick a shop/store; Agatha Valentina, Morton Williams, Starbucks, Gristedes, D'agostino's, Pain de Quotidien, Maison Kayser, etc...anyplace that sells food, go by after closing (if not before), and you'll see homeless along with dumpster divers digging through dumpsters, cans and bags.

Think about it; how many *under nourished* homeless do you see on NYC streets? Aside from the obviously ill nil to none. More so many have been living rough for years if not decades. That means some how or way they are obtaining food. Given the obesity one sees in that population it doesn't seem as if any are in danger of starvation anytime soon.

Some places now to get a jump on the competition homeless will camp out near closing time and or when they know trash is being put on curb by workers.

Now in this heat and humid weather one questions the wisdom and or sanity of eating anything from a plastic bag or whatever off the street, but guess beggars can't be choosers. Equally gross is seeing these people dig/move around trash bags while on the other side rats or mice are scurrying out of the way.
LMAO... Pain de Quotidien... Well I can’t think of any of these places having peanut butter and jelly sandwiches which is what these guys claim to have on the subway... That and fresh fruit. The bread looks cheap though, nothing of good quality... Just plain ol’ white bread, so I don’t know.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
LMAO... Pain de Quotidien... Well I can’t think of any of these places having peanut butter and jelly sandwiches which is what these guys claim to have on the subway... That and fresh fruit. The bread looks cheap though, nothing of good quality... Just plain ol’ white bread, so I don’t know.

Sorry, but wrong.

SB has P&J along with several other lunch box meals that come with fresh fruit.

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/...?foodZone=9999

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/...b-j-bistro-box

Again those dumpster divers/homeless know what they are doing. In fact it could be argued many are eating far better than those of us who earn and get our food via normal channels. This or at least they are paying far less, which goes a long way to explaining why people who aren't homeless or whatever "dumpster dive".

I've said; there is a woman who lives in an upscale building on East 80th off York who routinely goes through the garbage at SB, D'agostinos, Morton Williams and Agatha Valentina in that area. Myself and others have seen her far north as 86th street.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:36 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Sorry, but wrong.

SB has P&J along with several other lunch box meals that come with fresh fruit.

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/...?foodZone=9999

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/...b-j-bistro-box

Again those dumpster divers/homeless know what they are doing. In fact it could be argued many are eating far better than those of us who earn and get our food via normal channels. This or at least they are paying far less, which goes a long way to explaining why people who aren't homeless or whatever "dumpster dive".

I've said; there is a woman who lives in an upscale building on East 80th off York who routinely goes through the garbage at SB, D'agostinos, Morton Williams and Agatha Valentina in that area. Myself and others have seen her far north as 86th street.
LOL I've been shopping at Agata & Valentina for years, but only for dry things like cookies from Italy or that imported Ice Tea. They've been known to have questionable food otherwise, not to mention the prices. I think if anything dumpster diving at Citarella would make more sense.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
LOL I've been shopping at Agata & Valentina for years, but only for dry things like cookies from Italy or that imported Ice Tea. They've been known to have questionable food otherwise, not to mention the prices. I think if anything dumpster diving at Citarella would make more sense.

A&V IMHO survives because there are few other choices in that area of UES. Well there was anyway; plenty of people are going up to Fairway and Whole Foods even from First or York in the low 70's on north.

Can honestly say have never seen anyone going through Citarella's trash. Maybe they do I don't know; but nothing on scale of the other local supermarkets. But IIRC they do have their trash collected pretty early, which deters some of the "diving".

Old 08-31-2018, 05:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I wished I had an information card to hand him, saying, Okay, kid, first set yourself up with a free counselor...

It would be nicer if there were people who could occasionally hand out useful information which would be better than spare change.

And the first time you had the card thrown back at your face would be the LAST time you did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: