Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:54 PM

12,751 posts, read 8,221,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
They learn Spanish too. They strike me as very smart workers.
Shouldn’t be that much of a shocker for you. The Moors had a huge presence in Spain, including on the language, so Arabic and Spanish share some roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
they also refer to everyone as 'brother'
Yes my brother...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 08:17 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,445,620 times
i refuse to eat turkey bacon!

Old 09-08-2018, 08:32 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,584,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Shouldn’t be that much of a shocker for you. The Moors had a huge presence in Spain, including on the language, so Arabic and Spanish share some roots.

Yes my brother...
Spanish has words from tbe arabic. English has many words from French due to Normans ruling England but doesnt mean we can speak French.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Spanish has words from tbe arabic. English has many words from French due to Normans ruling England but doesnt mean we can speak French.
No one said that. At the same time, stop acting like the two cultures have nothing in common. You may not like to hear it, but the Moors ruled in Spain for a few hundred years and definitely left their mark on the culture and the language, despite the Spaniards doing their damnest to “cleanse” the country of that part of their history and cling to its “European” roots. Talking about Arabs learning Spanish as if it’s an anomaly is just stupid. I speak several languages, and yes it requires a skill set, but having similarities sure as hell doesn’t hurt. That’s like acting as if people who speak several Latin based languages with similarities doesn’t help. In short Arabs learning and speaking Spanish should not come as a shock to you or anyone else.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:31 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,427,992 times
Quote:
No one said that. At the same time, stop acting like the two cultures have nothing in common. You may not like to hear it, but the Moors ruled in Spain for a few hundred years and definitely left their mark on the culture and the language, despite the Spaniards doing their damnest to “cleanse” the country of that part of their history and cling to its “European” roots. Talking about Arabs learning Spanish as if it’s an anomaly is just stupid. I speak several languages, and yes it requires a skill set, but having similarities sure as hell doesn’t hurt. That’s like acting as if people who speak several Latin based languages with similarities doesn’t help. In short Arabs learning and speaking Spanish should not come as a shock to you or anyone else.
I have to imagine that their decision to learn Spanish is more so due to working in Latino neighborhoods or having Latino cooks than it is because of centuries old Spanish-Moor connections. Most of the Arab bodegas to my knowledge are run by Yemenis anyway, rather than the Arab countries close to Spain.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
My ananlogy to Arabic influence on modern Spanish is a good one to French words to English. Arabs also left some words in the Italian language. I am not a Spaniard so I have no motivation to do what ever it is that you attributed to be my motivations. Certainly the Moors left surnames, and many words in the language tbat remain. But so did thd Germanic tribes that also rulex Spain for centuries. So by your logic you should be speaking French easily or better yet German, since English is a Germanic language with French, Greek/Roman words tossed in to what was once a. native Anglo language. Hey, wait when the Saxons first went to England the English people spoke Latin and the tribal languages of England rigbt ?

Old 09-09-2018, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I have to imagine that their decision to learn Spanish is more so due to working in Latino neighborhoods or having Latino cooks than it is because of centuries old Spanish-Moor connections. Most of the Arab bodegas to my knowledge are run by Yemenis anyway, rather than the Arab countries close to Spain.
Exactly just saying how these guys " Shmooze " Yemen had nothing to do with Moorish Spain. So chill out Pierre. But since we are all English speakers German should just roll off out tongues too. Give it up to the guys at tbe Deli they are smart.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You’re confusing the two. Regardless of what their reason for learning the language is, the point is they already have a base to work from. In other words, they aren’t going in learning Spanish as someone who is monolingual. They already come in speaking two languages already. Once you speak multiple languages, the others come a lot easier. I say this as someone who is multilingual. Only in America do people think that speaking several languages is such a big deal.

Quote:
My ananlogy to Arabic influence on modern Spanish is a good one to French words to English. Arabs also left some words in the Italian language. I am not a Spaniard so I have no motivation to do what ever it is that you attributed to be my motivations. Certainly the Moors left surnames, and many words in the language tbat remain. But so did thd Germanic tribes that also rulex Spain for centuries. So by your logic you should be speaking French easily or better yet German, since English is a Germanic language with French, Greek/Roman words tossed in to what was once a. native Anglo language. Hey, wait when the Saxons first went to England the English people spoke Latin and the tribal languages of England rigbt ?
My point is you’re acting like the fact that they can learn Spanish is SO amazing. It isn’t. There’s this habit that some Spanish speakers have that I find annoying. News flash. Spanish is not that hard to learn or speak if one understands how close it is to several other languages. And yes, I speak Spanish, Italian and also speak some French and German. If we were talking about Chinese then I could understand. They have a base to work from, just like I did having already spoken Italian and Spanish growing up. Learning French was definitely not a problem. The only people that make such stupid claims are those who are ignorant and don’t know much about languages. They already come here speaking Arabic and in some cases English, so you think Spanish is supposed to be such a barrier? God knows how many of the “ar” ending verbs in Spanish are very similar to words in English. Both languages have a good amount of Latin in them.

You also seem to not realize that many Arabs grow up speaking French too, so if they speak Arabic, English and French, Spanish is really not a big deal. You hang around different Spanish speakers and you can pick up the slang terms by simply understanding the context and using your language skills.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 09-09-2018 at 08:29 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
You’re confusing the two. Regardless of what their reason for learning the language is, the point is they already have a base to work from. In other words, they aren’t going in learning Spanish as someone who is monolingual. They already come in speaking two languages already. Once you speak multiple languages, the others come a lot easier. I say this as someone who is multilingual. Only in America do people think that speaking several languages is such a big deal.

My point is you’re acting like the fact that they can learn Spanish is SO amazing. It isn’t. There’s this habit that some Spanish speakers have that I find annoying. News flash. Spanish is not that hard to learn or speak if one understands how close it is to several other languages. And yes, I speak Spanish, Italian and also speak some French and German. If we were talking about Chinese then I could understand. They have a base to work from, just like I did having already spoken Italian and Spanish growing up. Learning French was definitely not a problem. The only people that make such stupid claims are those who are ignorant and don’t know much about languages. They already come here speaking Arabic and in some cases English, so you think Spanish is supposed to be such a barrier? God knows how many of the “ar” ending verbs in Spanish are very similar to words in English. Both languages have a good amount of Latin in them.

You also seem to not realize that many Arabs grow up speaking French too, so if they speak Arabic, English and French, Spanish is really not a big deal. You hang around different Spanish speakers and you can pick up the slang terms by simply understanding the context and using your language skills.
Ok let it go

Old 09-09-2018, 01:13 PM

33,881 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Yes my brother...
Yes my friend

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City