Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 06:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times

Advertisements

I just spoke to a friend in Pittsburgh and he said some Pittsburgh schools are either cancelled or having early dismissal today due to the heat advisory. Apparently a "heat day" (as opposed to a snow day) is unprecedented.

I imagine the weather there is pretty similar to here so I started to wonder what's happening in the schools here. I guess the students, teachers and staff just have to suffer through the heat this week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 06:51 AM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I just spoke to a friend in Pittsburgh and he said some Pittsburgh schools are either cancelled or having early dismissal today due to the heat advisory. Apparently a "heat day" (as opposed to a snow day) is unprecedented.

I imagine the weather there is pretty similar to here so I started to wonder what's happening in the schools here. I guess the students, teachers and staff just have to suffer through the heat this week?
No AC in NYC schools.

My kids will be fine this week.

Heat day in NYC? I dont think that will ever happen.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-04-2018, 06:53 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Most schools have air conditioners and if they don't or if they're not working, they put out those huge fans.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:58 AM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
wow!

I just asked my son if his school had AC and he said yes.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-04-2018, 07:05 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
wow!

Good! I think they should have them. If this year is any indication, future springs/summers/falls will have temps that are too high to be considered a comfortable learning environment.

Of course students and staff can just soldier through it, just like we do out and about and in the subways on sweltering days (in addition to people who have jobs outside where it's even hotter than it would be inside a school), but when teachers are trying to get kids to learn and to enforce discipline, I think comfortable temps would make things a lot easier.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:11 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
wow!

All NYC public schools should have ACs installed. If one is broken in a classroom, they try to switch classrooms to a different one or at least bring in those big fans.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:42 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Good! I think they should have them. If this year is any indication, future springs/summers/falls will have temps that are too high to be considered a comfortable learning environment.

Of course students and staff can just soldier through it, just like we do out and about and in the subways on sweltering days (in addition to people who have jobs outside where it's even hotter than it would be inside a school), but when teachers are trying to get kids to learn and to enforce discipline, I think comfortable temps would make things a lot easier.
I agree! I don't know how any kid or teacher of any age can concentrate when their clothing is stuck to them like a wet rag and those big fans don't do anything except move hot air around.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:00 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,648 times
We didn't have AC's in classrooms growing up even into college, they may have been a few fans. I know most classrooms have them these days, how did we survive back than I don't know ...but subways didn't have them either

Old 09-04-2018, 11:15 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Most have them. If a school/ classroom doesn't it probably means the principal is ****ty.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:16 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
We didn't have AC's in classrooms growing up even into college, they may have been a few fans. I know most classrooms have them these days, how did we survive back than I don't know ...but subways didn't have them either
It wasn't as hot as it has been these days. We had heat waves but these of late have been much more severe for longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: