U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 05:42 AM

114 posts, read 92,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Learn how to DIY. Materials can be pretty cheap (look at Ikea and other prefab cabinets.) Get it done and save some money.
We are doing our kitchen ourselves. Ikea, too! But we need someone to do the small countertop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 286 times
How quickly can I find a one bedropm for sale

Old 01-02-2019, 08:20 PM

23 posts, read 8,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanchette02 View Post
How quickly can I find a one bedropm for sale
In a Mitchell Lama? Depending on the Co-op maybe 3 to 10 years.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:12 AM

21,184 posts, read 27,797,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStine View Post
So i managed to snag a Mitchell Lama apartment in the Bronx after only being on the waiting list for 2 years. I decided to buy the apartment instead of renting with the option to buy. Its a great place with security and nice views of Yankee Stadium, Upper Manhattan, all the way to NJ and wonderful sunsets. Huge balcony like any ive ever seen

So here is my conflict. The floor tiles, bathroom tiles, kitchen cabinets, and light fixtures are all dated with looks of the 1960s.

The purchase price was about $20,000.
If i want to change change all the dated stuff it will cost allot. Redoing the kitchen with new cabinets alone will cost about $5000 for parts and labor, replacing the floor tiles and bathroom tiles will cost about the same bringing the cost to a little above half the cost of the apartment.

Knowing that if i decide to move in the future i can only sell it back for the initial purchase price, is it a good idea to spend about $10,000 to redo the apartment?

I am in the same boat. Kitchen with cheap dark cabinets. Hateful 12x12 Vinyl asbestos tile.
So I did some little stuff, forced building to give me a new toilet. I replaced the faucets, got riid of hideous "landlord's halo" ceiling fixtures (all my own labor.) Some neighbors have covered floors with plank vinyl or wood laminate for $1000-$2000 but I am stuck because of a lot of furniture makes that impossible. I should have done this before moving in. I have to setle for carpets to mostly hide the hideous floor.

Advice: I would not spend $10 grand unless you are VERY young and have no need to move EVER.

Last edited by Kefir King; 01-09-2019 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-18-2019, 01:21 PM

6 posts, read 124 times
Quote:
So i managed to snag a Mitchell Lama apartment in the Bronx after only being on the waiting list for 2 years. I decided to buy the apartment instead of renting with the option to buy. Its a great place with security and nice views of Yankee Stadium, Upper Manhattan, all the way to NJ and wonderful sunsets. Huge balcony like any ive ever seen

So here is my conflict. The floor tiles, bathroom tiles, kitchen cabinets, and light fixtures are all dated with looks of the 1960s.

The purchase price was about $20,000.
If i want to change change all the dated stuff it will cost allot. Redoing the kitchen with new cabinets alone will cost about $5000 for parts and labor, replacing the floor tiles and bathroom tiles will cost about the same bringing the cost to a little above half the cost of the apartment.

Knowing that if i decide to move in the future i can only sell it back for the initial purchase price, is it a good idea to spend about $10,000 to redo the apartment?

i was just approved and waiting on the approval by the state....can u tell me how long you waited for them to approve the app. I already did the credit check and the home visit.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyezonchonte View Post
i was just approved and waiting on the approval by the state....can u tell me how long you waited for them to approve the app. I already did the credit check and the home visit.
It took about 2 - 3 months to get the state approval, it can be sooner l if they are doing their job. Once you pass the credit check, and got the home visit.

Welcome to the complex. Hopefully you already saw the unit you will be in and everything is in order. Dont let them cut any corners on your unit and pray you get good quiet neighbors above, below and on the sides of you.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:16 PM

6 posts, read 124 times
Quote:
It took about 2 - 3 months to get the state approval, it can be sooner l if they are doing their job. Once you pass the credit check, and got the home visit.

Welcome to the complex. Hopefully you already saw the unit you will be in and everything is in order. Dont let them cut any corners on your unit and pray you get good quiet neighbors above, below and on the sides of you.

I was told 4-6 weeks I hope itís sooner .... I lived in concourse villages a clp yrs ago and couldnít remember the timeline .... repurchasing again thanks for the reply

Old Today, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyezonchonte View Post
I was told 4-6 weeks I hope it’s sooner .... I lived in concourse villages a clp yrs ago and couldn’t remember the timeline .... repurchasing again thanks for the reply
How did your exit go when you sold the unit back?

Ive heard a few stories that when owners sold the unit back to the company, management added so much BS fees and charges that resulted in receiving less than half the equity they initially purchased the apartment for. Also heard that they refuse to release the equity to the prior owner once they move out until management can get someone to rent or buy the apartment.

Old Today, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 124 times
Quote:

Ive heard a few stories that when owners sold the unit back to the company, management added so much BS fees and charges that resulted in receiving less than half the equity they initially purchased the apartment for. Also heard that they refuse to release the equity to the prior owner once they move out until management can get someone to rent or buy the apartment.

This is all true but my situation was worst I did the rent to own and didnít complete the 36
Months I missed it by three months and lost ALL my equity every penny

Old Today, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 124 times
Quote:

And they charge three months main alcause they wanna steal ur money ML waiting list mad long and u saying itís gonna take at least three months to find the next person ... bull****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or