Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 07:03 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I had this problem in Harlem (Hamilton Heights) not too long ago. I was drinking beer so I needed a restroom, but all the businesses had restrooms that were conveniently out of order (presumably to avoid junkies shooting up in there or degenerate people messing up the bathrooms). Eventually I just asked a bodega clerk if I could use the bathroom if I buy something and he said yes.

Normally when I have this issue I just go to bars since they don't tend to hassle people who walk in and use the bathroom without buying anything.

Employees get tired of homeless and others using public restrooms for everything from taking a shower to shooting up junk. That and any or all in between.

Seeing some of the homeless going into public bathrooms I pity those who have to go in there and hose the place down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Employees get tired of homeless and others using public restrooms for everything from taking a shower to shooting up junk. That and any or all in between.

Seeing some of the homeless going into public bathrooms I pity those who have to go in there and hose the place down.
Exactly what I had guessed. But I was surprised to see it that far North in Manhattan.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One night several months ago was walking up Lexington Avenue near Lenox Hill Hospital around 8PM. Between two cars (right in front of Duane Reade) some chick lifted her skirts and squatted down between two parked cars. When finished doing her business she ran across the street and towards/into the hospital.

After first going "ewww" wondered why she just didn't use any of the bathrooms in the hospital. Even the ER has pubic restrooms.
That's weird that she would do that if she was going into the hospital.

But aside from that I wouldn't care that she did that, I would just be surprised since I rarely see women urinate in public.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
That's weird that she would do that if she was going into the hospital.

But aside from that I wouldn't care that she did that, I would just be surprised since I rarely see women urinate in public.
Didn't "care" per se; just was rather shocked to see something like that on the UES. But then again since Northwell bought Lenox Hill Hospital that area (Lexington between roughly 76th and 78th), has changed.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:51 AM

478 posts, read 774,067 times
This problem affects the quality of life to a big degree in this town. I'll stay clear of shopping in a particular neighborhood, for instance, if I don't know of any public rest rooms nearby. I'm always checking google maps, to see where the nearest parks are located, and their rest rooms.
There's a city or state law that was passed in the first half of the 20th century, outlawing coin-accessed facilities. So of course since then businesses have no motivation to open their restrooms to anyone but their own customers or employees.
Then around the 70s or maybe the 80s there was all this talk and planning of installing small public restrooms all around the city, but then when it was found out that not all would be ADA accessible, all hell broke loose, and nothing was opened.
It wasn't til much later -- this century I think -- that a precious handful were opened, such as the one in Herald Square.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
As someone who often works in the field and at times in residential areas with less commercial zones I've learned that public library is way to go (no pun intended). There's usually one no more than 5 to 10 minutes away. Restrooms aren't always the cleanest though so that can be an issue for some.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
As someone who often works in the field and at times in residential areas with less commercial zones I've learned that public library is way to go (no pun intended). There's usually one no more than 5 to 10 minutes away. Restrooms aren't always the cleanest though so that can be an issue for some.
But how late are those open?

Old 09-07-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
This problem affects the quality of life to a big degree in this town. I'll stay clear of shopping in a particular neighborhood, for instance, if I don't know of any public rest rooms nearby. I'm always checking google maps, to see where the nearest parks are located, and their rest rooms.
There's a city or state law that was passed in the first half of the 20th century, outlawing coin-accessed facilities. So of course since then businesses have no motivation to open their restrooms to anyone but their own customers or employees.
Then around the 70s or maybe the 80s there was all this talk and planning of installing small public restrooms all around the city, but then when it was found out that not all would be ADA accessible, all hell broke loose, and nothing was opened.
It wasn't til much later -- this century I think -- that a precious handful were opened, such as the one in Herald Square.

*Thank you!*

Finally get all those gags in Bugs Bunny cartoons and elsewhere made during 1930's through 1950's where Bugs, a female or someone was always asking for "nickel" before going to the WC. Always thought it was to tip the bathroom attendant. *LOL*

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ld-everything/

https://www.neatorama.com/2016/08/25...o-Pay-Toilets/

Old 09-07-2018, 01:20 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
I made a map of restrooms and attempt to coordinate my travel as such.

For a wiz, easy peezy, most anywhere secluded. For a deuce, I use that map; not so easy to be clean or discrete when droppin' that deuce.

During the middle of the day, keep track of Libraries, Barnes and Nobles, Home Depot, Lowes, Target (stays open slightly later), Best Buy, 24-hour Shoprites, bus stations, train terminals and, playgrounds*

*Only in good neighborhoods, bad neighborhood playgrounds got rust on the locks and probably haven't been opened in years.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
But how late are those open?
True if you are out late that's another story. If out late it gets a little trickier. At that point it'll depend more where you are in the city.

I would think most libraries close around 7 maybe 8 latest. The main borough branches keep longer hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City