Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 11:24 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,323,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Her father is a Colombian immigrant. She most certainly can say she is an immigrant. She's a first generation American.

What? This is a first for me---I've never heard someone born in America claiming to be an immigrant just because his or her parents were born in another country.

This forum is a special place.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,967,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
yes, I read that as well. Most Latin names ending with "ez" have Jewish origins: Sanchez, Hernandez, Velasquez, etc.

Back in the day, Spain was half Muslim and half Jewish. The Christians fled to the north, and eventually conquered/ or regained Iberia again.
Spain was not half Jewish or half Muslim. Spain was always majority christian. However Spain had been conquered by the Arabs in 711 whichel ended germanic rule. The rulers of the germanic tribe known as the goths fled to the mountains in the north. Those that remained, the remaining Latin Greek Celtics and German people's lives under Arab rule and kept their Christian faith. Christians jews and Muslims lived together in Muslim portions of Spain, and lived peacefully under the umayyad, and fellow taifa rulers. In Muslim Spain. Jews made up a larger portion of the merchant class, while Muslim made up the portion of the ruling class and ruling elite. Christians in Muslim Spain did not make up the merchant or ruling class.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:00 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,967,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
First generation American =/= immigrant.
I can attest to this. Pro blacks and white racist want me to me deported even though I was born here.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:56 PM

782 posts, read 523,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm surprised nyt published this hit piece especially since the times has been historically pro Jewish and pro left for nearly a century. I find this article to be odd.
The Times is left leaning but overall does solid balanced reporting. Where do you get your news?

Don’t understand your pro Jewish comment anyway and why, if true, it would surprise you that the Times is reporting on this story. One issue with Julia Salazar is how she appears to have made inaccurate statements about her Jewish background for political purposes.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:59 PM

782 posts, read 523,727 times
Regarding Salazar’s previous claims that she was an immigrant, from the NYT article:

Quote:
She attempted to clarify her background, while continuing to embrace the idea of herself as a child of immigration, saying she had spent a lot of emotionally significant time in Bogotá as a child.

“I’m not an immigrant myself,” she said. “Rather, I have always felt a deep connection to my father’s immigrant experience because of the time I spent with our family in Colombia at such a young age.”

Old 09-07-2018, 02:15 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,029,460 times
Brother of Julia Salazar says they grew up with a maid and went to private school | Daily Mail Online

Old 09-07-2018, 02:20 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,413,163 times
Not surprising

Old 09-07-2018, 02:47 PM

9,240 posts, read 24,006,384 times
Sounds like this one is another pathologigical liar like Trump.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:55 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,576,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
She is Jewish. She converted, and anyone is entitled to convert. She's of Sephardic descent, and legally Jewish in both Portugal and Spain.

There's a huge movement of Colombians like her who are of Jewish descent who were not RAISED Jewish, but who identify as Jewish due to Sephardic descent. This is also big in the Southwestern United States, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Ecuador, etc.

Some of these people have even immigrated to Israel itself, as the Orthodox rabbinate considers them Jewish due to Sephardic descent. Though they must undergo Orthodox conversions.

She did not lie, as her mother identified the family as of SEPHARDIC descent though there were not practicing Jews.

Now I'm giving no opinion on whether people should vote for her. She isn't in my district and I voted absentee ballot.

But someone with an immigrant father has every right to say that they are immigrants themselves (racists certainly consider them foreigners) and yes anyone of Sephardic descent has every right to identify as Jewish if so they chose and convert if so they chose.

The vast majority of people in Colombia have some degree of Jewish ancestry, and this is the problem that kills a lot of Ashkenazi as yourself. In sheer numbers Latin Americans of Sephardic descent (most Latin Americans) outnumber the handful of Ashkenazi.
Why would it bother me that there are many Sephardic Jews, in Columbia or elsewhere?
My husband, in fact, is Sephardic.

By the way, many Columbian Jews are Ashkenazi . I know some Ashkenazi Columbian Jews.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:04 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,519,964 times
My parents were born in another country, I was born here.

They were immigrants to this country. Since I was born here, I am not an immigrant but a citizen of this country.

I have visited their country of origin but my visiting that country does not make me an immigrant from said country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City