Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 12:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
Chipotle is comparable in price to an actual taqueria. Chipotle isn't so expensive that only rich white people eat it. There's a Chipotle in the Queens center mall which is filled with lower income Latinos.

Chik Fil A probably would do well in East New York or Soundview. I bet they have them in other "unngentrified" parts of the country.
Queens Center mall has a lot of co-ops nearby, and neighboring Jackson Heights has a lot of Latino homeowners. Central Queens is not the richest district but it is far from the poorest. Latino does not equal lower income either.

Central Queens was never as poor as the bad parts of Brooklyn, the Bronx, or Upper Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 01:05 PM

497 posts, read 283,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Queens Center mall has a lot of co-ops nearby, and neighboring Jackson Heights has a lot of Latino homeowners. Central Queens is not the richest district but it is far from the poorest. Latino does not equal lower income either.

Central Queens was never as poor as the bad parts of Brooklyn, the Bronx, or Upper Manhattan.
You're right, my point was just that Hispanics, including Mexicans, do eat Chipotle.

And on that note, many of the Latino "natives" in Bushwick and elsewhere are not that poor. Even the undocumented immigrants aren't all poor.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:12 PM

766 posts, read 505,586 times
Quote:
Chipotle is comparable in price to an actual taqueria. Chipotle isn't so expensive that only rich white people eat it. There's a Chipotle in the Queens center mall which is filled with lower income Latinos.

Chik Fil A probably would do well in East New York or Soundview. I bet they have them in other "unngentrified" parts of the country.
That area of queens center mall isn’t low income, that mall also serves other areas of Queens.

Nyc is unique and real estate is highly expensive. I can’t speak on them Being in ungentrified areas elsewhere

But it’s a reason why low income areas are food deserts. Businesses have less incentive to be there because the disposable income isn’t there

Last edited by Wakanda18; 09-11-2018 at 02:45 PM..

Old 09-11-2018, 03:06 PM

497 posts, read 283,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
That area of queens center mall isn’t low income, that mall also serves other areas of Queens.

Nyc is unique and real estate is highly expensive. I can’t speak on them Being in ungentrified areas elsewhere

But it’s a reason why low income areas are food deserts. Businesses have less incentive to be there because the disposable income isn’t there
Chik Fil A is no fancier than Popeye's, but they don't operate on Sundays, so maybe they have to be more conservative about where they open locations. Plus their existing locations seem to do so well based off the novelty value.

There are middle class neighborhoods in NYC that are food deserts too so I think it's more complex than that. Business owners seem to be more adventurous in opening restaurants where a certain type of people live.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:33 PM

329 posts, read 298,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Not for nothing, but was just hanging out tonight at a bar on Halsey and Lewis and man is that area changed. All around the Utica stop on the A it's at least 50% white. Kinda neat to see the mix of old timers and young adults in the area.
I say much less than 50%, you got the projects right there. I would put it at much less than 50 percent

Old 09-11-2018, 03:57 PM

37,026 posts, read 39,094,778 times
Quote:
Chik Fil A is no fancier than Popeye's, but they don't operate on Sundays, so maybe they have to be more conservative about where they open locations. Plus their existing locations seem to do so well based off the novelty value.

There are middle class neighborhoods in NYC that are food deserts too so I think it's more complex than that. Business owners seem to be more adventurous in opening restaurants where a certain type of people live.
It is more complex than that, as there are also working class neighborhoods that aren't food deserts, and there are methodologies for saying what is and is not a food desert that don't seem to account for things accurately (i.e. a topic some time back where there was a study that stated Jackson Heights was supposed a food desert, but is patently absurd to just about anyone who has ever stepped foot in Jackson Heights in the last decade).

I think there is an overarching point that businesses that charge more for what are essentially equivalent items in existing shops is reasonable sign of gentrification makes sense.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:15 PM

14,022 posts, read 13,838,474 times
Coming to Brooklyn soon

New luxury apartments and town homes in Oakland for rent: Up to $8,000 a month - Story | KTVU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City