U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2018, 03:27 PM
 
184 posts, read 103,849 times
Reputation: 105

Advertisements

This is what I see. I am glad De Blasio wants to diversify the high elite public high schools in NYC, but I agree he is using the wrong method. Getting rid of the exam should at least not be the first solution because it will bring down the standards of these elite schools because they are supposed to be high standard high schools.
------------------------------------------------

De Blasio Should Try Adding More Tutoring/Academic Centers in Minority Neighborhoods
Instead of taking out the exams in favor of just taking a certain number of the most high academic performing students from every middle school, first he should try to invest in adding more tutoring/academic centers and to include these programs/services to encourage the students especially the high academic performing students to study for the SHSAT exams to get into these elite schools in the minority areas because it is not easy finding it in the Black/Latino areas and if it is not so easily accessible, it could be playing a role in not providing enough encouragements to the students to compete to be on the top. In addition, a lot of the parents may not always have the money to pay for their children to be in tutoring/academic centers.

Accessibility To Tutoring/Academic Centers
There is maybe one tutoring/academic center every mile or more apart in the Black/Latino neighborhoods whereas in the Chinese communities, there is at least one tutoring center sometimes more on almost every single block and is a lot more accessible to them and yes, partially because the Asian parents take education so seriously that they are willing to pay money for their children to be in these programs. But yes, the parents also need to provide more encouragement/discipline to their children to do well in school. There are already a lot of straight A students in the Black/Latino communities, but many of them are not able to take the SHSAT exams to compete to get into these schools because of the limited available accessibility to tutoring/academic centers in their neighborhoods along with many of their parents not always having the money to pay for tutoring programs. If there were more accessible tutoring/academic centers available and maybe provide a subsidized cost for parents based on their incomes in their communities, there would be a lot more of them practicing/preparing for the SHSAT exams to compete to get into these elite public high schools and there would be a lot more cultural/ethnic diversity in the elite public high schools this way and it would be unnecessarily harmful to get rid of the SHSAT exam.

My Thoughts About The SHSAT Protests
As much as I understand the protests, especially since most of them are Chinese Americans regarding that since many of the parents already paid money for their children to practice and prepare for SHSAT exams to get into these elite public high schools and now to take the exams away would mean they wasted a lot of money, energy, and time for these exams as well as it would bring down academic standards in these schools, I also feel a lot of the Asian Americans protesting, overwhelmingly the Chinese Americans are protesting way more than just about taking away the SHSAT exams will decline the elite schools' standards and are subliminally racist against minorities and do not want diversity. It is the equivalent to when whites protested against blacks moving into their neighborhoods or into their schools during the 1950s-60s, the only difference is the whites were more straight forward and said it out loud honestly and the Asians are just being more subliminal about it and not saying it out loud.

Not all Asian/Chinese Americans protesting are being racist against other non white minorities. A lot of them are simply just protesting against getting rid of shsat exams and are not being racist against other minorities and want to have other methods of diversifying the elite schools, but unfortunately there are a lot of other Asian/Chinese American protesters that are using this as a cover to not want more ethnic cultural diversities in their elite schools.

__________________________________________________ _______________________


Racial/Ethnic Population Makeup of The Student Bodies of The Elite Schools

Check out these links below.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/14/174587...-asian-protest
https://www.apnews.com/4352aa3a5028451a9246ac96e30e571a

In one of them, it shows the racial statistics of the student body at these elite schools. 62% are Asians. Latinos/Hispanics are 6%, Blacks are 4%, Whites are 24% and 8% others.

The Protestors Do Not Match The Actual Population Of The Elite Public Schools' Student Bodies
Now look at these youtube links. Has anyone noticed something does not look right? After any of you have seen the videos, you will understand why I made the statements down below these video links.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfeFGb9ZN3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWg2pCZfi8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpfEnoyH5b8

The protesters here are overwhelmingly Asians like over 90% probably close to 97% and overwhelmingly are Chinese Americans.

With the racial makeup of these elite schools and let's pretend if the students of these schools or either competing to get into these schools and their parents were just simply outraged in general about getting rid of shsat exams fearing it will bring down the academic standards and had nothing against other ethnic groups, how come there were very little whites in these protests? To represent the 24% white student population, there should have been at least one Caucasian protester for every 10-15 Asian protesters or there should have been a considerable cluster(s) of them in the crowds. I did not even see a single Latino/Hispanic or Black person in the protest from all of the videos I have viewed of this protest, if there were, most likely only 2-4.

There Were Very Little Other Asians(Non Chinese) And Very Little Non Asians Protesting Here.
As for the Asian American student population, which only represent 62% of the student population in these schools and although the Asian Americans are mainly Chinese Americans, there are also a lot of other Asians, which largely are Koreans and southeast Asians, but still some other Asians. So the Chinese Americans are maybe somewhere between 40%-45% of the student body and another 15%-20% should be largely Koreans/Southeast Asians with some other Asians. Other than the English protest signs, of all of the Asian language protest signs at least I have seen, were almost all Chinese and maybe I saw one or two signs with Korean writing in the news, however I cannot find such video on youtube unless someone else knows a video that showed a Korean language protest sign. I did not even see any other Asian language signs. Since there is such a significant Southeast Asian student population as well, there should have been more of them in the protest, but I saw maybe one or two of them in some of the youtube videos.

If anyone has seen these youtube video links I posted here, you can clearly see it is 95% Asian Americans in the protest, overwhelmingly Chinese Americans. The fact that there were very few or no Korean language signs shows that there likely was very little Korean Americans or none protesting here. Since the numbers of whites and other Asians protesting here were so little and totally underrepresented their actual population in these elite schools by a lot and since there were almost no single black or Latino/Hispanic probably none at the protest to support this outrage goes to show they are not as outraged by this move to get rid of the shsat exams and are opened to this method for diversity or just remaining neutral on this issue.

The Protestors Are Overwhelmingly Chinese Americans
The fact that so many of the Chinese Americans came out to protest that their numbers disproportionately far surpassed their actual populations in these elite schools shows that not all of them, but many of them just do not want more Blacks/Latinos/Hispanics in their schools and are not for diversity and using this protest as a cover to stop it from happening and thinking these schools are their places. Also if anyone saw the first video by "Chasing News", one Chinese woman said many Asians worked hard and paid a lot of money to put their children to practice and prepare for the shsat exams to get into these elite schools. She made a great point, but a mistake in her statement and it was the wrong time and place to use that term. She obviously did not realized that the Asians are only 62% and there is a significant population of other ethnic students. She should have left out the word Asian and just said parents in general. Now she made it sound like the elite schools belong exclusively to the Asians. There were other videos I saw on youtube where some protesters made similar statements and even used the word Chinese, but I am having trouble finding it and if I am able to track any of them down, I post them up to this discussion thread.

__________________________________________________ __
Additional Videos Showing Mostly The Chinese Americans Outraged By This Move
Now take a look at the additional videos below. The only Asian American Associations that are getting outraged by this is actually the Chinese. This association may say Coalition for Asian American for Civil Rights, but the members of this association are almost all Chinese or at least shown in this video. Even in this meeting, very few other non Asians were participating here. In another video, this shows Flushing's Chinatown. How come any youtube viewer cannot find other videos of other Asian American Associations not run by Chinese or Asian American communities that are not Chinese largely protesting against this move? Forget about the fact that the Chinese are 2/3 of the Asian population, but there still should have been other Asian Associations and communities coming out to protest this and there should have been videos of them if they were just as equally outraged about this.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxG74nicXYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPa1dSOxGBQ
==================
If you are all interested, try to look up all of the videos on youtube regarding this shsat protest and all you see are just overwhelming numbers of Chinese Americans outraged by this with very few numbers of other ethnic cultures and then you give your views about this.

Last edited by toby2016; 09-21-2018 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2018, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,231 posts, read 3,475,434 times
Reputation: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
how come there were very little whites in these protests?
That is simple, for the same reason literally no one protested BdB policy in Park Slope in the OP. In the social justice warrior victim hierarchy 'privileged' whites cannot protest against any minorities, because that would be racist. I mean, the person in the OPs article was even afraid to reveal their gender (!), much less visibly protesting on the streets with a sign. If a white person would've done it, they run a very high risk of losing their job via social media manufactured outrage machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 04:09 PM
 
692 posts, read 276,327 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I agree.
One would think there would be a way to both help struggling/under-represented students, while not thwarting the progress of NYC students who are already thriving and excelling academically.
nope...the communist nyc govt plan is the make things equal by bringing high achieving students down and bring low achieving students up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 04:35 PM
 
18,242 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Reputation: 11855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
That is simple, for the same reason literally no one protested BdB policy in Park Slope in the OP. In the social justice warrior victim hierarchy 'privileged' whites cannot protest against any minorities, because that would be racist. I mean, the person in the OPs article was even afraid to reveal their gender (!), much less visibly protesting on the streets with a sign. If a white person would've done it, they run a very high risk of losing their job via social media manufactured outrage machine.

People need to do some research (and no, am not providing links this time); as a number of white parents in the district attempted to protest. They were slapped down by their peers with things like being called "racist" and so forth.


Some of you obviously do not know the UWS/Park Slope uber liberal progressive democrats. They pretty much roll like Animal Farm; either you are on board with whatever scheme or you're ostracized and deemed no longer part of the crowd.


The liberal whites who pushed this change now having won are going to *LEAN* hard on others in that district not to pull their kids out of these integrated schools. You've read some of this already in news reports where they say their job now is to *educate* other white parents to get on board...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 06:00 PM
 
184 posts, read 103,849 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
People need to do some research (and no, am not providing links this time); as a number of white parents in the district attempted to protest. They were slapped down by their peers with things like being called "racist" and so forth.


Some of you obviously do not know the UWS/Park Slope uber liberal progressive democrats. They pretty much roll like Animal Farm; either you are on board with whatever scheme or you're ostracized and deemed no longer part of the crowd.


The liberal whites who pushed this change now having won are going to *LEAN* hard on others in that district not to pull their kids out of these integrated schools. You've read some of this already in news reports where they say their job now is to *educate* other white parents to get on board...

There was a big protest in a high academic achiever elementary school in the upper west side because they wanted to lower the standards to allow more minorities to come into the public school and they all protested that it would lower the standards of the school. They were all whites protesting. This was not even a public elite high school.




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck-ms4BHl7Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 06:14 PM
 
184 posts, read 103,849 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
That is simple, for the same reason literally no one protested BdB policy in Park Slope in the OP. In the social justice warrior victim hierarchy 'privileged' whites cannot protest against any minorities, because that would be racist. I mean, the person in the OPs article was even afraid to reveal their gender (!), much less visibly protesting on the streets with a sign. If a white person would've done it, they run a very high risk of losing their job via social media manufactured outrage machine.
I do not think they were afraid to protest and it is not like they would protesting against other minorities, and if they did largely get involved with the protest, they most likely would have strongly used a more neutral approach to say they want to have diversity and added more written signs that said add more educational resources to black/Latino communities and would want to strongly promote the idea to use a different method to promote diversity in the elite schools and would not have been called a racist at least for the most part. The reason why most of them did not participate was because they obviously wanted diversity and were open to this approach or either were neutral on the issue. But there were a few protesting along with the Asians though including a few Caucasian politicians.

The Asians protesting, mainly Chinese Americans barely spoke of wanting diversity. Only a decent number mentioned diversity with using a different approach including adding more educational resources to Black/Latino neighborhoods and held up signs saying to keep the shsat exam, merit and diversity. Those I applaud.

But most of the other Chinese American protesters did not mention anything about wanting diversity and to add more educational resources to the other minority neighborhoods. All they said was to keep the test and only spoke of their ethnic community being attacked and even held up signs writing those words. Those only cared about maintaining and increasing their statistic status in the elite schools and were biased against Blacks/Latinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 07:33 PM
 
40 posts, read 11,516 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
The Asians protesting, mainly Chinese Americans barely spoke of wanting diversity. Only a decent number mentioned diversity with using a different approach including adding more educational resources to Black/Latino neighborhoods and held up signs saying to keep the shsat exam, merit and diversity. Those I applaud.

But most of the other Chinese American protesters did not mention anything about wanting diversity and to add more educational resources to the other minority neighborhoods. All they said was to keep the test and only spoke of their ethnic community being attacked and even held up signs writing those words. Those only cared about maintaining and increasing their statistic status in the elite schools and were biased against Blacks/Latinos.
The Asians are protesting because they know they get discriminated in America, and a meritocratic system based on grades is as objective as it gets. Asians live in the same neighborhoods as Latino/Hispanic such as Sunset Park, Ridgewood, and Corona. The Chinese American parents protesting didn't mention about diversity because they themselves are a minority, they are diversity itself.

Under the SHSAT, an Asian student, a Black student, a Latino student all has the same chance to take the SHSAT to get into a specialized high schools.

Under a new system like the top 7% from each middle school, most Asian students are DENIED an opportunity to get into specialized high schools. And it's not based on grades, but on location, because DeBlasio knows that the majority of middle schools are Latinos and African Americans, and this way, there will be those students coming in no matter what happens. You say Asians are biased against Blacks and Latinos. Why? Because the parents care about their kid's education, more so than Black parents or Latino parents.

Plus everyone knows that DeBlasio isn't improving schools, all he is doing is mixing up the population to average out all the schools and pull down standards. If the kids who can't get even into a specialized high school by taking the SHSAT, then the specialized high schools will be a nightmare for those students.

Asian parents are mad because they put everything they have into education, and for that to be denied to them seems absurd. Now they have to send their kid to a high school that is deemed a failure, that even the Black and Latino students don't want to go to (because they want to get into specialized high schools), the kid will feel like he or she is a failure.

Many Asians go above and beyond to put themselves in positions to succeed. The ones in specialized high schools don't get pregnant or disrupt class, now they have to deal with disruptive students and a dumbed down level because of "diversity". Asians are diverse. Even the Chinese Americans, who you see as a monolith is pretty damn diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 07:50 PM
 
40 posts, read 11,516 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post

__________________________________________________ _______________________


Racial/Ethnic Population Makeup of The Student Bodies of The Elite Schools

Check out these links below.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/14/174587...-asian-protest
https://www.apnews.com/4352aa3a5028451a9246ac96e30e571a

In one of them, it shows the racial statistics of the student body at these elite schools. 62% are Asians. Latinos/Hispanics are 6%, Blacks are 4%, Whites are 24% and 8% others.

The Protestors Do Not Match The Actual Population Of The Elite Public Schools' Student Bodies
Now look at these youtube links. Has anyone noticed something does not look right? After any of you have seen the videos, you will understand why I made the statements down below these video links.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfeFGb9ZN3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWg2pCZfi8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpfEnoyH5b8

The protesters here are overwhelmingly Asians like over 90% probably close to 97% and overwhelmingly are Chinese Americans.

With the racial makeup of these elite schools and let's pretend if the students of these schools or either competing to get into these schools and their parents were just simply outraged in general about getting rid of shsat exams fearing it will bring down the academic standards and had nothing against other ethnic groups, how come there were very little whites in these protests? To represent the 24% white student population, there should have been at least one Caucasian protester for every 10-15 Asian protesters or there should have been a considerable cluster(s) of them in the crowds. I did not even see a single Latino/Hispanic or Black person in the protest from all of the videos I have viewed of this protest, if there were, most likely only 2-4.

There Were Very Little Other Asians(Non Chinese) And Very Little Non Asians Protesting Here.
As for the Asian American student population, which only represent 62% of the student population in these schools and although the Asian Americans are mainly Chinese Americans, there are also a lot of other Asians, which largely are Koreans and southeast Asians, but still some other Asians. So the Chinese Americans are maybe somewhere between 40%-45% of the student body and another 15%-20% should be largely Koreans/Southeast Asians with some other Asians. Other than the English protest signs, of all of the Asian language protest signs at least I have seen, were almost all Chinese and maybe I saw one or two signs with Korean writing in the news, however I cannot find such video on youtube unless someone else knows a video that showed a Korean language protest sign. I did not even see any other Asian language signs. Since there is such a significant Southeast Asian student population as well, there should have been more of them in the protest, but I saw maybe one or two of them in some of the youtube videos.

If anyone has seen these youtube video links I posted here, you can clearly see it is 95% Asian Americans in the protest, overwhelmingly Chinese Americans. The fact that there were very few or no Korean language signs shows that there likely was very little Korean Americans or none protesting here. Since the numbers of whites and other Asians protesting here were so little and totally underrepresented their actual population in these elite schools by a lot and since there were almost no single black or Latino/Hispanic probably none at the protest to support this outrage goes to show they are not as outraged by this move to get rid of the shsat exams and are opened to this method for diversity or just remaining neutral on this issue.

The Protestors Are Overwhelmingly Chinese Americans
The fact that so many of the Chinese Americans came out to protest that their numbers disproportionately far surpassed their actual populations in these elite schools shows that not all of them, but many of them just do not want more Blacks/Latinos/Hispanics in their schools and are not for diversity and using this protest as a cover to stop it from happening and thinking these schools are their places. Also if anyone saw the first video by "Chasing News", one Chinese woman said many Asians worked hard and paid a lot of money to put their children to practice and prepare for the shsat exams to get into these elite schools. She made a great point, but a mistake in her statement and it was the wrong time and place to use that term. She obviously did not realized that the Asians are only 62% and there is a significant population of other ethnic students. She should have left out the word Asian and just said parents in general. Now she made it sound like the elite schools belong exclusively to the Asians. There were other videos I saw on youtube where some protesters made similar statements and even used the word Chinese, but I am having trouble finding it and if I am able to track any of them down, I post them up to this discussion thread.

__________________________________________________ __
Additional Videos Showing Mostly The Chinese Americans Outraged By This Move
Now take a look at the additional videos below. The only Asian American Associations that are getting outraged by this is actually the Chinese. This association may say Coalition for Asian American for Civil Rights, but the members of this association are almost all Chinese or at least shown in this video. Even in this meeting, very few other non Asians were participating here. In another video, this shows Flushing's Chinatown. How come any youtube viewer cannot find other videos of other Asian American Associations not run by Chinese or Asian American communities that are not Chinese largely protesting against this move? Forget about the fact that the Chinese are 2/3 of the Asian population, but there still should have been other Asian Associations and communities coming out to protest this and there should have been videos of them if they were just as equally outraged about this.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxG74nicXYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPa1dSOxGBQ
==================
If you are all interested, try to look up all of the videos on youtube regarding this shsat protest and all you see are just overwhelming numbers of Chinese Americans outraged by this with very few numbers of other ethnic cultures and then you give your views about this.

Most of the people protesting are Asian because they are the one who bear the brunt of this change. Asians put everything into education, and you think DeBlasio and Carranza taking a giant dump on them will be met with indifference. Asians put up with abuse, racism, etc all so their kid can get a good education. If you can't satisfy that one criteria which is education, all bets are off.

Of course no other racial group is complaining about it, because they are benefiting from it. Why would a Latino parent or African American parent complain about keeping the SHSAT when they stand to gain from this change. If the NBA was forced to have a racial quota which added Asians, I can assure you that African Americans will protest because there will be fewer opportunities for them to make a living.

The Asian American population in New York City is dominated by Chinese and Koreans. The Southeast Asians in New York tend to be also Chinese from Vietnam or Philippines or Malaysia, etc. Koreans are also very angry about it, they have their own protest. Whites aren't complaining because they will just make a mental note about this, and sent their kid to private schools.

Most Asian Americans are protesting at their chance of losing an opportunity to get into Stuy, or Brooklyn Tech, or Bronx Science. They aren't maliciously tearing down other groups like you make them out to be like. You compared this to "Whites protesting Blacks moving in the neighborhood", misleading people to think that Chinese are racist.

So it turns out being Asian is a hinderance to getting into a specialized high school. So 62% of specialized high schools are Asian, so what? They took the SHSAT and got in. It's already bad enough Asians are told to be "less Asian" when applying to colleges. Mixed race feel lucky to put "mixed race" instead of Asian. I bet you most Asians if they have the opportunity to not disclose their race because it is a hinderance, will not put Asian.

Of course Chinese are mainly the ones protesting because they are the one being shat upon. The other racial groups tend to gain from this change in admission. Common sense. That's why many white parents send their kids to private school to avoid this trainwreck. It's just that Asian American immigrant parents aren't rich enough to afford private school, so they do the best with what they can work with. And now that road got a whole lot more limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 08:07 PM
 
3,335 posts, read 3,126,190 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboom View Post
Most of the people protesting are Asian because they are the one who bear the brunt of this change. Asians put everything into education, and you think DeBlasio and Carranza taking a giant dump on them will be met with indifference. Asians put up with abuse, racism, etc all so their kid can get a good education. If you can't satisfy that one criteria which is education, all bets are off.

Of course no other racial group is complaining about it, because they are benefiting from it. Why would a Latino parent or African American parent complain about keeping the SHSAT when they stand to gain from this change. If the NBA was forced to have a racial quota which added Asians, I can assure you that African Americans will protest because there will be fewer opportunities for them to make a living.

The Asian American population in New York City is dominated by Chinese and Koreans. The Southeast Asians in New York tend to be also Chinese from Vietnam or Philippines or Malaysia, etc. Koreans are also very angry about it, they have their own protest. Whites aren't complaining because they will just make a mental note about this, and sent their kid to private schools.

Most Asian Americans are protesting at their chance of losing an opportunity to get into Stuy, or Brooklyn Tech, or Bronx Science. They aren't maliciously tearing down other groups like you make them out to be like. You compared this to "Whites protesting Blacks moving in the neighborhood", misleading people to think that Chinese are racist.

So it turns out being Asian is a hinderance to getting into a specialized high school. So 62% of specialized high schools are Asian, so what? They took the SHSAT and got in. It's already bad enough Asians are told to be "less Asian" when applying to colleges. Mixed race feel lucky to put "mixed race" instead of Asian. I bet you most Asians if they have the opportunity to not disclose their race because it is a hinderance, will not put Asian.

Of course Chinese are mainly the ones protesting because they are the one being shat upon. The other racial groups tend to gain from this change in admission. Common sense. That's why many white parents send their kids to private school to avoid this trainwreck. It's just that Asian American immigrant parents aren't rich enough to afford private school, so they do the best with what they can work with. And now that road got a whole lot more limited.

Were you one of the protesting parents on the loud speaker...so well prepared and forceful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2018, 09:23 PM
 
184 posts, read 103,849 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboom View Post
The Asians are protesting because they know they get discriminated in America, and a meritocratic system based on grades is as objective as it gets. Asians live in the same neighborhoods as Latino/Hispanic such as Sunset Park, Ridgewood, and Corona. The Chinese American parents protesting didn't mention about diversity because they themselves are a minority, they are diversity itself.

Under the SHSAT, an Asian student, a Black student, a Latino student all has the same chance to take the SHSAT to get into a specialized high schools.

Under a new system like the top 7% from each middle school, most Asian students are DENIED an opportunity to get into specialized high schools. And it's not based on grades, but on location, because DeBlasio knows that the majority of middle schools are Latinos and African Americans, and this way, there will be those students coming in no matter what happens. You say Asians are biased against Blacks and Latinos. Why? Because the parents care about their kid's education, more so than Black parents or Latino parents.

Plus everyone knows that DeBlasio isn't improving schools, all he is doing is mixing up the population to average out all the schools and pull down standards. If the kids who can't get even into a specialized high school by taking the SHSAT, then the specialized high schools will be a nightmare for those students.

Asian parents are mad because they put everything they have into education, and for that to be denied to them seems absurd. Now they have to send their kid to a high school that is deemed a failure, that even the Black and Latino students don't want to go to (because they want to get into specialized high schools), the kid will feel like he or she is a failure.

Many Asians go above and beyond to put themselves in positions to succeed. The ones in specialized high schools don't get pregnant or disrupt class, now they have to deal with disruptive students and a dumbed down level because of "diversity". Asians are diverse. Even the Chinese Americans, who you see as a monolith is pretty damn diverse.
You obviously did not see my first response to this discussion thread, which is long one and contained video links and hopefully you will take your time to read it.

As I mentioned before, I agree that this method of taking out the shsat is not a good way of diversifying the schools, but instead more resources should be added to the other minority areas to give them more access and encouragement to them to practice and pass the shsat exam to compete for the seats in the elite high schools. This is a much better way of increasing cultural diversity in the elite high schools.

If you have ever walked or passed by Black/Latino neighborhoods, it is not as easily convenient to access tutoring/academic centers because although they are available, there are not as many of them and there is like one in every 10-15 blocks and if they are not as easily accessible, there will be much less resources available to provide extra academic help and/or more encouragement to the students even high academic performers to compete to be at the top of their grades and/or for these schools, especially if there is no one to tell them where they are available unless they luckily happen to live near a tutoring/academic center or if someone they know encourages them to walk long distances to participate in a tutoring/academic center. The Chinese American communities have tutoring/academic centers almost on every block, so it is a lot more convenient for the parents to access them for their children to participate in and it is easier for them to get that encouragement to want to do better and excel academically. I do agree, the quota system to mandate 45% of seats to be given to Latino/Black students is not fair. There should just be an equal or somewhat equal amount of academic centers in all ethnic neighborhoods to give every students an equal chance to practice to pass the exam and compete fairly to for the seats in the elite schools.

Every ethnic group unfortunately get discriminated in the USA including Asians, no question about it.

Statistically speaking yes, on average in the Black and Latino cultures, they do not always have the same values or standards about getting an education like the Asians do. However, it does not mean all Blacks/Latinos are like this. As a matter of fact there are many that want their children to get a good education to get out of the neighborhood they are growing up in that may not be very great to live in, it is just that they do not put all this pressure and stress on them to be perfect in everything and would rather they just do the best they can and would rather be more concerned they are able to maintain a stable passing grade in the B range or so instead of expecting them to be a straight A in everything. As a matter of fact, many Caucasian Americans are like this as well. The Non Asian Americans are more likely to not to want to put more pressure on their children that could possibly make their performance in academics or anything worse and would rather just be concerned they are doing the best they can and they are in the passing grade of B or so, however if they are C or D grades, then they will get concerned and want them to push their grades a little up at least somewhere in B range and getting an A is an extra blessing to them. As for the Asian Americans, it is nice they have high standards of getting an education, but they sometimes overdo it and put too much pressure onto their children to have to be perfect and get a straight A in everything including expecting them to take on college majors that will give them a multimillionaire career and if it is not a straight A or there is some slight imperfections, the parents scold them like they broke the law. Sometimes it causes an opposite effect and their children may become unhappy and start getting lower grades in their classes or even fail and sometimes drop out of college and put themselves in a worse situation, however sometimes if they are lucky, they may just switch to a regular liberal arts major and just get the BA degree to get it over with and they are working a regular job like any regular average Joe.

Also, about the high school students who are getting pregnant early, usually it is the ones that do not care about education. How do you know there are no students in the specialized high schools getting pregnant? There may be lower numbers of them, but it does not mean it does not exist. Are you suggesting that high school pregnancy only exist in Black/Latino cultures? There may be lower numbers of these cases in Asian/Chinese American communities, but there are cases of this happening as well in Asian/Chinese American communities. As with the disruptive students, usually they are also not very serious in taking their education as important.

As I had said, De Blasio is using the wrong approach by getting rid of the shsat exam, but his intended approach is not to let in B/C grade students into these schools. He wants to maintain the straight A grade student population or somewhere along that line and he wants to instead just take a certain number of the highest academic performing students from each middle schools to recruit them into these specialized high schools and it would be up to the students/parents to want to go to these specialized high schools. The A grade and even B grade performing students usually are not disruptive regardless of whatever their race/ethnicity is.

If De Blasio were to successfully go through with his plan to take out the shsat exam in favor of just selecting a certain number of the highest academically performing students from each middle school, not that I agree to taking out the exam, yes the academic standards would be lower, but it would not bring in more disruptive students. As I have said before, students who get A or B grades are not as likely to be disruptive and less likely to get pregnant in high school whether they are in a specialized public high school or regular public high school and the specialized high schools would still be for straight A students coming from middle school anyway and still have to maintain the straight A or somewhere in that range to stay in the specialized high school through graduation or they will be mandated to transfer to a regular high school if their grade starts to drop. The elite high school students may not be as disruptive like other high school students, but there are still some disruptive behaviors sometimes, so you cannot say there are no disruptive students in these elite schools, they just may do it in a different maybe more subtle way. It sounds like you are implying disruptive student behaviors only exist in Latino/Black communities and not in Asian/Chinese communities.

As you said, most of the Asians are not able to get into these specialized High Schools in NYC and that is because the seats are limited. You make it sound like Asians going to lower standard high schools or as you call failing high schools as if this would be a big surprise or new news. This is nothing new and there have always been a lot of them going to a majority Black/Latino student body high school and most of them graduate out just fine and are able to go to college and get a degree. They may not have had the same quality education, but at least they still got an education and most of them are still able to get their high school diplomas and college degrees.

As for the Chinese communities being diverse, exactly what do you mean? Are implying about there are different regional dialectal groups or socioeconomic levels? Because I know you are not talking about race or skin color. The only diversity that exist in Chinese communities are the different educational and socioeconomic, values, personalities, and different dialects from different regions of China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Let's face it, most of the Chinese Americans protesting here do not want cultural diversity from Blacks/Latinos. Just watch, if De Blasio changes his mind and says he is going instead start off with bringing in more educational resources like academic tutoring centers to the Latino/Black communities, the Asians are going to have another excuse to come out and protest again and they will start making up claims that they will be watering down the questions on the exams.

Last edited by toby2016; 09-21-2018 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top