Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 08:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,042,481 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this?

https://pix11.com/2019/03/17/residen...heir-landlord/

I think it's overkill to require an app. I also think the LL is possibly up to some funny business if the app lets him monitor all the longtime RS tenant who he probably want out of there.

We recently switched to key fobs from regular keys but I don't think I'd be too happy if we were required to have an app to get in and out. Plus we have elderly people living here who probably don't own smartphones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 08:50 PM

1,199 posts, read 716,674 times
I think it’s a bad idea unless he provides free WiFi for the building. I don’t think most people have data plans I sure don’t.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:28 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,191,133 times
FOB keys are fine. This is overkill and the tenants should indeed sue. Our landlord installed the system for FOB keys but hasn't used them as of yet, but he installed cameras by the front entrance and outside as well.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 PM

15,787 posts, read 14,382,511 times
If I were a LL in NYC, I'd put fingerprint scanner to drive the front door lock. There's no question about who's coming in.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
FOB keys are fine. This is overkill and the tenants should indeed sue. Our landlord installed the system for FOB keys but hasn't used them as of yet, but he installed cameras by the front entrance and outside as well.
Key fobs suck if you sub let.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Key fobs suck if you sub let.
I like them because I don't want random people in my building, and I like having the security cameras too.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I like them because I don't want random people in my building, and I like having the security cameras too.

A lot of times random people sit in my lobby to charge phones. I don’t begrudge them the need to charge a phone. My friend says they are “heads” but i don’t see it.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
A lot of times random people sit in my lobby to charge phones. I don’t begrudge them the need to charge a phone. My friend says they are “heads” but i don’t see it.
I’m not putting up with that, not with what I pay. I’d call the cops and complain to management.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:28 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,191,270 times
Just an excuse for another frivolous lawsuit by people not doing as well as they would like in their own life that hope to cash in. They found a money hungry lazy lawyer too.

This is the product the landlord seems to be using. All those tenants have to do is request a Keycard. https://www.latch.com/products?fbcli...mDlVmCmi5KPZH4

We use this for one of our apt buildings and it is just fine. No complaints yet. Everyone loves it. Can't blame this landlord. It's a sign of the times & has been for years. Smart homes are more popular than ever as well. Tenants want to see progress.

It will attract a better class of tenants for this landlord. It did for us. People will sue for anything these days if they could. They need to suck it up & stop whining. Then just ask for a Keycard & stop complaining & be happy they have decent place to live. All people want to do is complain,complain,complain. They really need to get a life & be grateful they have a landlord that cares & upgrades a building. Instead of just letting things rot. Do they prefer to rent from a landlord that just ignore things & does not move forward with upgrades to this generation?

Guess they probably want to call this landlord a slumlord & start protesting. Typical for so many people these days.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:04 AM

11,195 posts, read 9,021,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Just an excuse for another frivolous lawsuit by people not doing as well as they would like in their own life that hope to cash in. They found a money hungry lazy lawyer too.

This is the product the landlord seems to be using. All those tenants have to do is request a Keycard. https://www.latch.com/products?fbcli...mDlVmCmi5KPZH4

We use this for one of our apt buildings and it is just fine. No complaints yet. Everyone loves it. Can't blame this landlord. It's a sign of the times & has been for years. Smart homes are more popular than ever as well. Tenants want to see progress.

It will attract a better class of tenants for this landlord. It did for us. People will sue for anything these days if they could. They need to suck it up & stop whining. Then just ask for a Keycard & stop complaining & be happy they have decent place to live. All people want to do is complain,complain,complain. They really need to get a life & be grateful they have a landlord that cares & upgrades a building. Instead of just letting things rot. Do they prefer to rent from a landlord that just ignore things & does not move forward with upgrades to this generation?

Guess they probably want to call this landlord a slumlord & start protesting. Typical for so many people these days.
The landlord should have provided the keycard option in the beginning to all tenants. When a building switches from a regular key to a FOB key, the building has to provide all tenants a FOB key free of charge.

It should be the same with this system. It seems like the landlord was trying to bypass that option to save money on buying keycards. "just get the app, bye!"

Also, they have to use this app to access the elevator and mailbox room. That is a little bit too much. If you have a food delivery you will have to go downstairs to fetch your food or generate a code so the delivery person can input. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: