Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:20 AM

497 posts, read 282,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post
I work very closely with my local precinct. Unfortunately 99% of these places are illegal, around NE Queens anyway. Been this way for 20 years. The NYPD vice used to take them down, but as the area shifted Asian, so did our local politicians, which put the kabosh on the cops from doing there job. Now we're stuck. But I will say this, since Trump was elected they have been a lot less visible.
If your neighborhood's worst problem is happy ending places, you have it pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 03:13 AM

I also don't think the presence of single family houses means an area is automatically suburban. Elmhurst and Corona seem to have a lot, yet nobody could make any reasonable argument that either neighborhood is suburban or not walkable.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
All of NYC is overrated to a lot of people.

There has been plenty of construction with the yuppies in Long Island City and the influx of East Asian, mostly Chinese money into Flushing. Whether or not that's better than the hipsters of Bushwick is really up to the person. Personally, I like the shops and entertainment that comes from the hipsters of Bushwick and the Chinese immigrants of Flushing much more than what comes with the white collar yuppies of Long Island City.
I like both immigrant stuff and hipster stuff. That's why Bushwick is so cool, you could go to a string of hipster bars, then eat some authentic tacos or cemitas to satisfy your drunk munchies. There are even 24 hour spots like in Sunset Park. I actually think Bushwick might be just as important to NYC's Mexican community as Sunset Park, if that makes sense.

I want to make a thread about Bushwick's bars and other activities, but I take it that most people on this forum are not bar people

Old 09-21-2018, 05:26 AM

15,909 posts, read 6,706,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Nah.

Unless they do things differently in Queens!

https://brooklynreporter.com/2017/04...dyker-heights/

They just do this on repeat, as this happened a few years before:

Unhappy ending for 12 dirty Bay Ridge massage parlors * - NY Daily News

awwww shucks. So many commoners losing out on a happy ending. Dang...........
as momma used to say...........Go to church you bums.................

Old 09-21-2018, 05:31 AM

15,909 posts, read 6,706,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
I like both immigrant stuff and hipster stuff. That's why Bushwick is so cool, you could go to a string of hipster bars, then eat some authentic tacos or cemitas to satisfy your drunk munchies. There are even 24 hour spots like in Sunset Park. I actually think Bushwick might be just as important to NYC's Mexican community as Sunset Park, if that makes sense.

I want to make a thread about Bushwick's bars and other activities, but I take it that most people on this forum are not bar people

You should have been around Ridgewood Queens
( aka Brooklyn back then 11227 zip code) in the 60' and 70's.
There was a bar for all intensive purposes on every block.
Made the Guinness Book of World Records for that distinct feat.
Would have been right up your alley. Just sneak out the backdoor
after hours as the beat cop was waiting outside with baton in hand.
Bars have been replaced by houses of worship ................

Note: Does anybody remember the Funnels of tap you could take home? Dang....Good old times.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
You should have been around Ridgewood Queens
( aka Brooklyn back then 11227 zip code) in the 60' and 70's.
There was a bar for all intensive purposes on every block.
Made the Guinness Book of World Records for that distinct feat.
Would have been right up your alley. Just sneak out the backdoor
after hours as the beat cop was waiting outside with baton in hand.
Bars have been replaced by houses of worship ................

Note: Does anybody remember the Funnels of tap you could take home? Dang....Good old times.
There are still a lot of bars there! I live nearby and hang out there sometimes.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,263,382 times
Quote:

Bushwick Open Studios is this weekend. So is the Ridgewood Fall Festival.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:09 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,263,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Bushwick Open Studios is this weekend. So is the Ridgewood Fall Festival.
Actually the BOS is next weekend.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 AM

25,351 posts, read 36,904,601 times
Yeah, people in Corona are keeping hipsters out with harssmentt. Sure, THAT'S why no hipsters

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-21-2018 at 10:05 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 10:17 AM

8,641 posts, read 11,009,723 times
Quote:
How? There is Subway service as far East as 179th st. The places East of that are designed to be autocentric anyway
not everyone is close to the subway. The rent usually reflects that

Kew Garden Hills, College Point, Utopia.... many parts of Ridgewood, Maspeth, North Jackson Heights...to name a few is a combo bus-subway commute to Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: