Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 03:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

So ultimately they will build a deck over Sunnyside Yards and put buildings on top.

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/3/29/1717...an-chakrabarti

It’s 180 acres and a huge part of it is owned by the MTA. The rest by Amtrak. Both transit entities can earn a lot by selling the air rights and can get a portion of whatever rental income businesses pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 03:37 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times
I was hoping this would host Amazon HQ2.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:55 PM

497 posts, read 284,560 times
I dig Sunnyside, it might be one if the most urban neighborhoods in Queens.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:07 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
Just Say NO! we dont need neighbors, traffic is congested enough. LIC is over built already, NO NO NO.

The area needs Parkland or School, nothing more. HS, JHS, Elementary. And a College. Why wont they fix up the messy MTA and use the space for turning around trains or add a dedicated queens/brooklyn line that is not the G.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:33 PM

202 posts, read 165,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
I dig Sunnyside, it might be one if the most urban neighborhoods in Queens.
Not really. I lived there as a kid, still know it well. Just walk 3 blocks North off Qns Blvd and it's all lovely, quiet row houses with beautiful trees. When I think of urban I think of projects, not single family homes.

For decades Sunnyside was a well kept secret but is now slowly being invaded by transients, many of which are homosexuals. I'm not homophobic in any way, but it's interesting how you can walk down just a regular common street in Sunnyside and you're likely to see men staring/gazing at you (if you're also male). In old Sunnyside, this would likely end up in a beating (just being honest). I think the gay community, when moving into old school blue collar areas like Sunnyside/Woodside need to be careful and not assume everyone there is cool with being gawked at (as they might be in Astoria). Just a heads up to folks.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:44 PM

497 posts, read 284,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post
Not really. I lived there as a kid, still know it well. Just walk 3 blocks North off Qns Blvd and it's all lovely, quiet row houses with beautiful trees. When I think of urban I think of projects, not single family homes.

For decades Sunnyside was a well kept secret but is now slowly being invaded by transients, many of which are homosexuals. I'm not homophobic in any way, but it's interesting how you can walk down just a regular common street in Sunnyside and you're likely to see men staring/gazing at you (if you're also male). In old Sunnyside, this would likely end up in a beating (just being honest). I think the gay community, when moving into old school blue collar areas like Sunnyside/Woodside need to be careful and not assume everyone there is cool with being gawked at (as they might be in Astoria). Just a heads up to folks.
Rowhouses are urban, especially if they have no off street parking. That being said, I'm not too familiar with Sunnyside but remember it having a high share of buildings.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
This could be good if that Sunnyside station for a LIRR/Metro-North station were built, the development made a better walk and bike ride between LIC/Astoria and Sunnyside and the mix tilted heavily towards public infrastructure needs such as parks and schools and a large retail and office component rather than just heavily residential.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:48 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I am sure the people in Sunnyside Gardens must LOVE this idea <yes, sarcasm>

Old 09-24-2018, 06:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am sure the people in Sunnyside Gardens must LOVE this idea <yes, sarcasm>
It’d depend on what this brings. There might be some iterations of this that some or even a majority of Sunnyside Gardens residents might be overall for once developed.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post

These days you’re going to be convicted of a hate crime if you gay bash someone. The same jerks supposedly do upset of men looking at them likely catcall and worse to women. Hypocrites.

The trash has largely been gentrified out of Sunnyside anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City