Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 05:11 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
If it looks like it's going to hit my face I just put my hand up to block it. I don't care if it bothers them, they should have moved it themselves. Odds are they are not gonna try to box in the rain so I've never had an issue.

Other than that I try to walk in the street to avoid them all because I typically just wear a rain coat. Umbrellas are useless and break often and it's tiring to hold one up.
A rain coat?? The only people I see in raincoats are the old people over 60 who look like they shouldn't be out there in the rain in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 05:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
I dont use umbrellas. Umbrellas are for people who are afraid that their raincoats will get wet

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-25-2018, 05:16 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
My backpack is an essential part of my body. It holds my lunch and my laptop along with emergency deodorant (lets face it, we all been there rushing out the door for work and forget to tend to the underarms), toothbrush, tooth paste, mouthwash , portable charger, and other necessary essentials for me to survive the commute.
You have a right to bring your backpack with you on the train, but you do not have the right to keep it on your back in a crowded train. That's the same as taking up space for two people. As per MTA guidelines and basic civility you are supposed to take off the backpack and hold it at your feet / between your legs

Old 09-25-2018, 05:52 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You have a right to bring your backpack with you on the train, but you do not have the right to keep it on your back in a crowded train. That's the same as taking up space for two people. As per MTA guidelines and basic civility you are supposed to take off the backpack and hold it at your feet / between your legs
Yeah and then to top it off, they keep moving around on the damn train banging into everybody with it. People are so stupid. I have a portable bag that I use for my iPad, and other papers I need, but when it’s crowded, it stays in my hand and I refrain from banging people with it. Extremely annoying to keep turning around looking to see who or what can’t stop banging into you when you keep moving away on a crowded train. That’s something else people need to be trained on... Personal space... I don’t want to smell your damn perfume on the subway, express bus or elsewhere early in the morning. Just take a damn shower, put on deodorant and you shouldn’t stink. These people get on with a whole container of perfume or cologne on. That and then you have the people that have to get as close as possible to you with their stinking breath.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:09 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
I like big wind layer umbrellas for the nice personal space barrier.

I'll fold it down when walking under long stretches of covered sidewalk.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:37 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
I wear a North Face raincoat and sway pass the umbrella holders. I bought this raincoat back in 2002. $20.00

THe North Face FTW

Old 09-26-2018, 05:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomgirl View Post
I am tall and I usually try to lift my umbrella up so it doesn't crash into other peoples.

That's my approach too.

But my favorite umbrella is a bubble type from Channel 13 that wraps around my head and shoulders with one triangular see-through panel. It keeps me dry without extending beyond my perimeter AND allows me to see where I am going in a headwind. I fear though it will not last much longer, it's getting a bit threadbare.
I have no idea where it came from, like most of the umbrellas we have: neither of us has ever subscribed to the Channel.

But my usual approach is: If it is raining I stay HOME.

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-26-2018 at 06:08 AM..

Old 09-26-2018, 09:21 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Ill take off my backpack and put it between my legs when people prioritize holding the rail while the train is in motion instead of prioritizing reading the paper, or on their phones while holding their coffee. ill take a bump with a backpack any day over scalding coffee in my lap.

Also when I have my backpack on im either standing by the door to move between carts or against the doors that wont open for 90% of my commute so im out of peoples way, and my backpack is not some campers wilderness survival backpack, its a Belkin Slim Polyester Backpack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City