Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 01:16 PM

555 posts, read 616,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedThatApt View Post
Sure was 100% better. FOR MEN
i think for everyone. Life seems much more stressful now for both sexes, trying to keep up. and women having to decide between careers and family...etc..etc. A lot of is just not natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 01:22 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
$2,700 for a two bedroom lottery apartment? What a sucky deal. Mom better be helping you out.
If you are making those salary figures then you shouldn't be living at home (unless a family member needs medical help) or with roommates.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:31 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
$2,700 for a two bedroom lottery apartment? What a sucky deal. Mom better be helping you out.
I wish my one bedroom was $2,700 going by market rate.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:38 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
If you are making those salary figures then you shouldn't be living at home (unless a family member needs medical help) or with roommates.
$2,700 for a family of 4 making 95K is a lot. Everyone's gotta eat too.

I don't understand the bias against living with roommates. It's a smart thing to do in my opinion for lots of reasons.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
i think for everyone. Life seems much more stressful now for both sexes, trying to keep up. and women having to decide between careers and family...etc..etc. A lot of is just not natural.
When it was harder for women to support themselves, they were more likely to stay in relationships that were unhappy or abusive. It wasn't across the board easier back then. It's funny that Trump talks the "make America great again" talk but seems uninterested in the problem of wage stagnation, which is a big reason why it's so much harder to live on one salary now.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:46 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:

I don't understand the bias against living with roommates. It's a smart thing to do in my opinion for lots of reasons.
I am single dude; i am not thinking of about a family of 4. A family of 4 needs to be making $100K to $200K between 2 parents.

I am not against roommates but if you are making that much you can easily save a down-payment and buy something. (which is what i am doing).

Old 09-26-2018, 01:51 PM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
Quote:
When it was harder for women to support themselves, they were more likely to stay in relationships that were unhappy or abusive. It wasn't across the board easier back then. It's funny that Trump talks the "make America great again" talk but seems uninterested in the problem of wage stagnation, which is a big reason why it's so much harder to live on one salary now.
i understand that POV, but I'm not suggesting we should go back to the stone age. Women should always make sure they are educated and can take care of themselves. Unfortunately it seems it's no longer an option but a necessity.

Even so, there are still many women that stay in abusive relationships.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I am single dude; i am not thinking of about a family of 4. A family of 4 needs to be making $100K to $200K between 2 parents.

I am not against roommates but if you are making that much you can easily save a down-payment and buy something. (which is what i am doing).
Some people don't like living alone anyway, so if it doesn't bother them and they can save faster, it seems like a good idea to me.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:52 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:

To me this comes down to dating or becoming an adult.

The bias is that if you are in your 30s you should have been successful enough or planned enough to be living on your own. By not doing this, its basically throws a red flag when dating of "what did you do in those 10 years of your life after high school till now?" Men has a stigma when dating that its embarrassing to be living under your parents roof or have roommates as its a sign that that person never actually "grew up" or haven't figured out what they want to do with themselves. Meanwhile females who live at home with their mother and sometimes even their grandmother as well do not carry this same penalty while dating.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:00 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
I moved to the burbs in 2015. But when I use to own a condo in Dumbo, I estimated over 50% of the tenants were funded by their parents. My wife were friends with 2 of our neighbors, and both neighbors freely admitted their parents paid the downpayment for their condo. This is the only explanation of how young people with seemingly low paying jobs can own expensive condos in Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City