Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 10:33 AM

497 posts, read 284,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Well I was originally told by a New York born (black) girl I lived with that Hamilton Heights is really just Harlem. She was a sharp babe and really street tough and seemed like a black history historian of sorts.

If you research the boundries of HH it is not very clear records across the board, almost like it does not deserve having its own neighborhood name.

At the same time Washington Heights (what I categorize as Little Dominica) begins north of Trinity Cemetary where Audubon is buried. Look at the store fronts on Broadway in HH snd compare those store fronts on Broadway in WH and it is clear which one has more Dominican food options.
It's just a subsection of Harlem. I've spoke to people who grew around there and they said it's a real thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 11:39 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
It's just a subsection of Harlem.
Well said.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:45 PM

329 posts, read 299,365 times
Brooklyn, East New York , Bushwick

Old 09-27-2018, 08:43 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,684,525 times
Btw the name Little Dominica makes no sense.

Dominica is a completely different island.

The island the DR is on is called Hispaniola and also houses Haiti.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:36 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensCeltic View Post
An enclave makes it sound so nice! Unfortunately you may get butchered to death by a gang wielding machetes.

Queensceltic calls balls and strikes.
I find Dominicans to be very family oriented and polite. They tend to get married and have kids at a fairly young age.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:26 PM

213 posts, read 508,703 times
Quote:
Well I was originally told by a New York born (black) girl I lived with that Hamilton Heights is really just Harlem. She was a sharp babe and really street tough and seemed like a black history historian of sorts.

If you research the boundries of HH it is not very clear records across the board, almost like it does not deserve having its own neighborhood name.

At the same time Washington Heights (what I categorize as Little Dominica) begins north of Trinity Cemetary where Audubon is buried. Look at the store fronts on Broadway in HH snd compare those store fronts on Broadway in WH and it is clear which one has more Dominican food options.
Boundaries do change over time; Washington Heights' southern boundary was considered to be 135th St. (which includes Hamilton Heights/West Harlem) in the early part of the 20th century.

West Harlem/HH, from 135th to Trinity Cemetery, and from Amsterdam Ave. to the Hudson River has been a predominantly Dominican enclave for decades, obviously giving way to gentrification in the last decade.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:34 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:

Like shadypinesma stated the nickname of Little Dominica makes no sense for the Dominican based neighborhood of Washington Heights.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:38 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Not for long?

Havent you noticed the expansion projects for Columbia University campus are mostly completed. WEST Harlem has changed more than it looks. Some of the deeper infrastructure of Harlems real estate is set to change into "luxury" residential. Man luxury is boring me now but people at Columbia University deserve better housing options. To live in any level of hard environment while attending a school like that just seems wrong.

Rumor I heard former president Clintons own some significant portions of buildings in West Harlem and their money surged a lot of that luxury build ups in Harlem near Columbia University.
At least at the graduate level we deal with Harlem's population DIRECTLY. I taught English to immigrants at Harlem, and other teachers work with them on other subjects. Medical students are the doctors to Harlem's population. Dental students are the dentists to Harlem's population. Law students give them legal advice.

It can be very important for students to learn from these interactions first hand, without the filter of a professor's lecture or a book.

Of course the university administration knows what it's doing. Bottom line it's easier and cheaper to buy in Harlem. Trump wanted to sell them 9 acres close to Lincoln Center years ago. Columbia ended up rejecting that in favor of buying 17 acres in Manhattanville for much cheaper than what Trump's property would have cost. The University was downtown. They then moved to midtown and then to the present location. And yes they know what they're doing, the University is now ranked number three by US News and World Report.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Btw the name Little Dominica makes no sense.

Dominica is a completely different island.

The island the DR is on is called Hispaniola and also houses Haiti.
Well said. Thanks

Old 09-28-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Like shadypinesma stated the nickname of Little Dominica makes no sense for the Dominican based neighborhood of Washington Heights.
Got it. Thanks for the correct info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City