Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 08:36 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
At least at the graduate level we deal with Harlem's population DIRECTLY. I taught English to immigrants at Harlem, and other teachers work with them on other subjects. Medical students are the doctors to Harlem's population. Dental students are the dentists to Harlem's population. Law students give them legal advice.

It can be very important for students to learn from these interactions first hand, without the filter of a professor's lecture or a book.

Of course the university administration knows what it's doing. Bottom line it's easier and cheaper to buy in Harlem. Trump wanted to sell them 9 acres close to Lincoln Center years ago. Columbia ended up rejecting that in favor of buying 17 acres in Manhattanville for much cheaper than what Trump's property would have cost. The University was downtown. They then moved to midtown and then to the present location. And yes they know what they're doing, the University is now ranked number three by US News and World Report.
Yeah but what is their Housing like? If they live in apartments with so much noise they can not Sleep or if there are poisons and too many rodents. Columbia students need hygenic places or they could not study and learn over the long term.

I understand they need to interact with the public but to actually live in the projects or a uncomfy place would be too hard to keep up with studies. That and the rate of tuition says they should not be in some building with drug dealers and crime like the building Im in.

How about this. The young female nursing students at Columbia. They intern at NY Presbeterian Hospital. Those girls are taken care of better than I am. They do not look run down with distress from living in the Hood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 08:44 AM

497 posts, read 284,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Yeah but what is their Housing like? If they live in apartments with so much noise they can not Sleep or if there are poisons and too many rodents. Columbia students need hygenic places or they could not study and learn over the long term.

I understand they need to interact with the public but to actually live in the projects or a uncomfy place would be too hard to keep up with studies. That and the rate of tuition says they should not be in some building with drug dealers and crime like the building Im in.

How about this. The young female nursing students at Columbia. They intern at NY Presbeterian Hospital. Those girls are taken care of better than I am. They do not look run down with distress from living in the Hood
West Harlem isn't that bad dude.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:00 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
West Harlem isn't that bad dude.
Oh I know. It costs around $1200 to Rent and Room that is halfway decent without some major hidden issue that will drive them crazy while they are trying to complete their studies.

If they pay $1200 per month for 6 years of schooling --- that adds up.

Also NY Presbyterian Hospital and their nursing school is in Washington Heights.

You can find nicer places in Washington Heights but it is going to be about the same ordeal if you want to live in a Room that does not have some major hidden issue like an infestation, cooking drugs downstairs, major mold issue they painted over, loud nuisance tenants keeping them up all night. Things like that.

$1000 per month minimum for a Room.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:01 PM

215 posts, read 200,206 times
i used to live near a dominican enclave and this is what i have noticed. comparing this nationality to puerto ricans and african americans is stupid. these folk vote democratic on the whole but for all other purposes are similar to republican conservatives. from west 125th and broadway all the way up to its inwood, manhattan ending, the dominicans have energized and revived a formerly sluggish area with vast amounts of ambition and energy. they with middle easterners and asians, own all of the businesses virtually. the more impoverished members reside between 125th and 168th street, between the hudson and the harlem river. the community gets progressively more middle classed between 168th to 218th as long as it's west of broadway. east of broadway is rowdier, more crowded, and more impoverished. the group has moved into the marble hill section of the bronx, but because of the housing projects, they are living amidst a different crowd that doesn't value self-reliance as much as they do. they are by no means completely self-reliant and anti-governmental aide as are the asians, west indian blacks, and africans, but they are at the level of asians as far as being entrepreneurial. those craving quasi-suburban tranquility have moved up to the woodsy enclave of the riverdale section right up the hill, which resembles a forest hills, queens or even a lesser scarsdale or mamaroneck type of atmosphere. others not bothered by heavy south american influx but don't want to reside around african americans or puerto ricans have settled in corona and jackson heights, queens. others who are crave assimilation have branched out to nassau or even suffolk county, to hempstead. in new jersey, those who would otherwise be drawn to jackson heights and corona but want a less swift pace, have chosen union city, west new york, paterson, and passaic, although they have fewer establishments there due to the taciturn diligence of mexican and south american who are less flamboyant culturally and are able to delay gratification easier because of this.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:36 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Top Dominican Enclave: THE WHOLE ****ING CITY
Not Brooklyn. Caribbean immigrants run that borough .

Old 01-20-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
They seem like the dominant ethnic group in Hamilton Heights still
Dominicans definitely run Broadway but Amsterdam looks like a mix between Dominican and black.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Well I was originally told by a New York born (black) girl I lived with that Hamilton Heights is really just Harlem. She was a sharp babe and really street tough and seemed like a black history historian of sorts.

If you research the boundries of HH it is not very clear records across the board, almost like it does not deserve having its own neighborhood name.

At the same time Washington Heights (what I categorize as Little Dominica) begins north of Trinity Cemetary where Audubon is buried. Look at the store fronts on Broadway in HH snd compare those store fronts on Broadway in WH and it is clear which one has more Dominican food options.
It’s called Harlem World for a reason.

Harlem world are all those neighborhoods in one. From Hamilton Heights to East Harlem.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:54 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1974 View Post
i used to live near a dominican enclave and this is what i have noticed. comparing this nationality to puerto ricans and african americans is stupid. these folk vote democratic on the whole but for all other purposes are similar to republican conservatives. from west 125th and broadway all the way up to its inwood, manhattan ending, the dominicans have energized and revived a formerly sluggish area with vast amounts of ambition and energy. they with middle easterners and asians, own all of the businesses virtually. the more impoverished members reside between 125th and 168th street, between the hudson and the harlem river. the community gets progressively more middle classed between 168th to 218th as long as it's west of broadway. east of broadway is rowdier, more crowded, and more impoverished. the group has moved into the marble hill section of the bronx, but because of the housing projects, they are living amidst a different crowd that doesn't value self-reliance as much as they do. they are by no means completely self-reliant and anti-governmental aide as are the asians, west indian blacks, and africans, but they are at the level of asians as far as being entrepreneurial. those craving quasi-suburban tranquility have moved up to the woodsy enclave of the riverdale section right up the hill, which resembles a forest hills, queens or even a lesser scarsdale or mamaroneck type of atmosphere. others not bothered by heavy south american influx but don't want to reside around african americans or puerto ricans have settled in corona and jackson heights, queens. others who are crave assimilation have branched out to nassau or even suffolk county, to hempstead. in new jersey, those who would otherwise be drawn to jackson heights and corona but want a less swift pace, have chosen union city, west new york, paterson, and passaic, although they have fewer establishments there due to the taciturn diligence of mexican and south american who are less flamboyant culturally and are able to delay gratification easier because of this.
There are some Dominicans that have moved into Riverdale, but overall if they can't afford to live in Manhattan, they sure as hell can't afford Riverdale. The prices for rent are pretty much the same. Hudson Heights, Inwood and Riverdale for the nice apartments are going to run you $1900 for a one bedroom and up. Kingsbridge still has Dominicans mainly east of Tibbett. West of Tibbett still has yuppies, whites and the like. Some have also left entirely and moved on to New Jersey in areas that are cheaper. Like other immigrant groups, Dominicans are struggling with high rents, but yes some are doing just fine. I know an interracial couple living in Hudson Heights. The wife is Dominican and the husband is white (not from NYC). They live right near the Hudson River near Cabrini Blvd. Nice block. Nice apartment, etc. The wife made a point of saying that while she is Dominican, she does not want to live in a hood environment and noted that some of her people are hood. I told her I understood her point, which was that she works hard and she wants to come home to a safe and quiet environment for her and her kid who is Dominican (previous marriage).

Old 01-20-2019, 07:05 PM

179 posts, read 109,284 times
Quote:
Well I was originally told by a New York born (black) girl I lived with that Hamilton Heights is really just Harlem. She was a sharp babe and really street tough and seemed like a black history historian of sorts.

If you research the boundries of HH it is not very clear records across the board, almost like it does not deserve having its own neighborhood name.

At the same time Washington Heights (what I categorize as Little Dominica) begins north of Trinity Cemetary where Audubon is buried. Look at the store fronts on Broadway in HH snd compare those store fronts on Broadway in WH and it is clear which one has more Dominican food options.

I believe the far west side of Harlem was known as Vinegar Hill before the Hamilton Heights designation was used.

My family on the UWS was displaced by the construction of Frederick Douglass Houses in the late 1950s -- this was Amsterdam Avenue in the low 100s --- no problem --I love Frederick Douglass.

They wound up on W136th near Broadway before splitting to Flatbush mostly.

Fast forward to 1993 and I'm picking up a transcript for some Summer classes I took up the hill at CCNY --- I stop in a Dominican restaurant on the same block where my family lived and was flat out refused service-- the waitress shook her head and her hands and pointed me towards the door.

Times change I guess.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,077,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There are some Dominicans that have moved into Riverdale, but overall if they can't afford to live in Manhattan, they sure as hell can't afford Riverdale. The prices for rent are pretty much the same. Hudson Heights, Inwood and Riverdale for the nice apartments are going to run you $1900 for a one bedroom and up. Kingsbridge still has Dominicans mainly east of Tibbett. West of Tibbett still has yuppies, whites and the like. Some have also left entirely and moved on to New Jersey in areas that are cheaper. Like other immigrant groups, Dominicans are struggling with high rents, but yes some are doing just fine. I know an interracial couple living in Hudson Heights. The wife is Dominican and the husband is white (not from NYC). They live right near the Hudson River near Cabrini Blvd. Nice block. Nice apartment, etc. The wife made a point of saying that while she is Dominican, she does not want to live in a hood environment and noted that some of her people are hood. I told her I understood her point, which was that she works hard and she wants to come home to a safe and quiet environment for her and her kid who is Dominican (previous marriage).
I can agree to this. I lived on the East and West side of Washington Heights.

186/187 Audubon Ave

179/180 Bway/Ft Washington

I would pick 179/180 Bway/Ft Washington every time. This would be my last full year here. 2020 would be the exit for me. Here i come NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City