Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 07:45 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I can agree to this. I lived on the East and West side of Washington Heights.

186/187 Audubon Ave

179/180 Bway/Ft Washington

I would pick 179/180 Bway/Ft Washington every time. This would be my last full year here. 2020 would be the exit for me. Here i come NJ.
I've actually met quite a few Dominican families that make a point of noting that they DON'T live East of Broadway but West of it, especially in Washington Heights or shall I say "Hudson Heights".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I've actually met quite a few Dominican families that make a point of noting that they DON'T live East of Broadway but West of it, especially in Washington Heights or shall I say "Hudson Heights".
No disrespect but that is hysterical.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:14 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVinney View Post

Fast forward to 1993 and I'm picking up a transcript for some Summer classes I took up the hill at CCNY --- I stop in a Dominican restaurant on the same block where my family lived and was flat out refused service-- the waitress shook her head and her hands and pointed me towards the door.

Times change I guess.

WOW. That is horrible. I'm sorry that happened to you!

I wish you spoke Spanish just to tell her off or even just to say something like "¿Mi plata no vale?" (My money isn't good here?). It's so helpful in NYC to be a Spanish speaker sometimes...

Old 01-21-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
No disrespect but that is hysterical.
None taken. Just speaking the truth. lol

Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 AM

215 posts, read 200,540 times
riverdale is much cheaper than the upper west side below w. 125th street. it's also cheaper than hudson heights, as far as rent and coop values are concerned. for an immigrant moving there, it is merely the next step to greener pastures, unlike the judaic senior citizen apartment dwellers who fled the concourse and coop city and will remain there for the rest of their lives. unless you are talking about fieldston exclusively, it is a mere enclave at the forest hills, queens level minus youthful israelis. it is not an upper west side, a scarsdale, or even a mamaroneck.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 AM

now you got it. we left for new jersey in 2001. nothing like fort lee! the whole mentality is entirely different, indeed.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:35 AM

real estate agents are big on that descriptive term, as well. 'anything west of broadway.................'

Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1974 View Post
riverdale is much cheaper than the upper west side below w. 125th street. it's also cheaper than hudson heights, as far as rent and coop values are concerned. for an immigrant moving there, it is merely the next step to greener pastures, unlike the judaic senior citizen apartment dwellers who fled the concourse and coop city and will remain there for the rest of their lives. unless you are talking about fieldston exclusively, it is a mere enclave at the forest hills, queens level minus youthful israelis. it is not an upper west side, a scarsdale, or even a mamaroneck.
I disagree. The rents are quite comparable to Hudson Heights and in fact are just about the same. The couple that I know that live in Hudson Heights in fact were looking in Riverdale and noted the exact same thing. Now co-ops are another thing entirely. Riverdale has a GLUT of co-ops compared to Hudson Heights, so naturally the prices would be different, not to mention that Riverdale does not have a subway and Hudson Heights does. Big difference in terms of living, so you can't compare the two. Riverdale is also much further away and requires a car for some areas and it is NOT Manhattan, so you saying that it is cheaper... It's basically the same prices rent rise as Forest Hills.

You make it sound like Forest Hills is cheap. It is not as if any immigrant can simply afford to live there. Now if you're talking about several family members splitting the rent that's a different story, but for a one bedroom you need to be making around $80,000 as a single individual. There are several studios right now going for $1,900 there. Not exactly something that any old immigrant can afford. A lot of the Dominicans I meet don't even speak English, so given that barrier, they are not going to be raking in money like that to afford anything but to live at home with other family members.

Fieldston has homes in the millions just like Forest Hills Gardens, Scarsdale, Mamoroneck and the like. I'm not sure what you're talking about. I know people that live in Forest Hills Gardens and they are established professionals. The husband is a doctor and the wife is a translator/interpreter. Together, combined, I'm sure they bring well over $200,000 and they don't have kids either.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 01-21-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 AM

caribbean immigrants are self-reliant and earn more than caucasian americans statistically, as do african immigrants. the partially british engrained ability and desire to delay gratification and advance themselves educationally makes them a functional lot at all levels. frugality is another factor which blesses them. due to a racist nation, though, they are taken for the same biases that native born american blacks have endured for century, even though they have nothing in common with them.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1974 View Post
caribbean immigrants are self-reliant and earn more than caucasian americans statistically, as do african immigrants. the partially british engrained ability and desire to delay gratification and advance themselves educationally makes them a functional lot at all levels. frugality is another factor which blesses them. due to a racist nation, though, they are taken for the same biases that native born american blacks have endured for century, even though they have nothing in common with them.
What does any of that have to do with an immigrant that has come here and isn't established? I think you've been drinking too much of the Kool-Aid. My girlfriend is Dominican, and came here when she was very young. She earns over $100,000 a year, but her family overall is not doing that hot. Parents live in Spanish Harlem in a modest apartment. Her siblings are all working but they live in the Bronx. One in Throggs Neck, another in the South Bronx. The one in the South Bronx just recently moved out from my mom's place and wanted to live in Manhattan but couldn't afford it. That isn't to say that they aren't doing well because she still earns around $60,000 - 70,000/yr, but you seem to be putting Caribbean immigrants on this pedestal as if their s*** doesn't stink. They struggle just like every other immigrant group does.

I also know plenty of Dominicans that struggle and live at home because they can't do any better, primarily because they haven't learned English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City