Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 02:59 PM

454 posts, read 448,468 times

Advertisements

I have to renew my nys non driver id. The last time i did this was years ago and i recalled i did it at a brooklyn location. Previously before that, i always did it at the manhattan location... i think it was midtown and i did it once downtown before that etc. I will be going there from brooklyn.

Does anyone have advice on which location is best in terms of not having to wait the longest? I recalled back then the midtown one you wait a very long time... so thats why last time i went to brooklyn one. Also is it best to go very early?

The other thing i want to know is how long does it take to receive the nondriver id. I read online it takes about 2 weeks. Is that accurate? Also i just have to bring my old non driver id that expired as proof correct? Also does anyone know if its possible to receive the non driver id quicker than 2 weeks? Also i assume this all has to be done at dmv office and can't be done online right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 05:59 PM

133 posts, read 130,353 times
Lower Manhattan DMV: 11 Greenwich St, New York, NY 10004
I went there to take my permit test and it was quick and fast. I believe it's fast for other transactions as well. My experience there was fast and painless. Hope that helped.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:33 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,032,914 times
I went to the Harlem one on 125th to renew my ID, it was also pretty fast and painless. I could have actually done it by mail (or maybe online) but I wanted a new photo so I had to go in.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadlove View Post
Lower Manhattan DMV: 11 Greenwich St, New York, NY 10004
I went there to take my permit test and it was quick and fast. I believe it's fast for other transactions as well. My experience there was fast and painless. Hope that helped.

I agree with this. 11 Greenwich is not bad.

Don't go to midtown one. Is terrible there. I went there once, and I will never go back to that place ever again.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
If you want the same kind of license you formerly had, go to West 30th Street. They have an automatic machine that require no long waits. I was amazed and done in less than 20 minutes.
It's almost as easy as putting money on your MTA card.
(Bring a credit card.)

If, however, you want a different level of license you will wait a long time.

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-29-2018 at 09:43 AM..

Old 09-30-2018, 10:28 AM

Hi there. I recently just came back to the US. I was out of the US for a few months. So there is a letter that is from department of motor vehicles and it's a mail that says to renew your non driver id.

The one issue i have right now is my current non driver id is already expired. I did not mention this earlier as i thought that was not a big deal.

There seem to be option at the bottom of the letter to renew it by filling out the renew application and seems to be very quick if your address is the same. Has anyone done this? So if i do it this way, i mail it to them and just write a check? The mail was already opened so I do not have the envelope. But this takes 2 weeks at least to receive? But could i do this if my non driver id is already expired?

Kefir, when you say same type of license, you mean same everything including same picture id so i don't have to take a new id? How long did it take for you to receive it? Well the thing is i want the same nondriver id but not sure if i want to take a new photo or not. If i do, then that would take few hours no matter which location i go? I most likely will go to the greenwich one based on you people saying that takes the fastest of them all?

Also if i wanted to have the same nondriver id with everything the same except take a new picture, what do i have to bring there? Because in letter it says

To renew, and change to a real id ndid you must visit DMV office

Bring original or certified

Valid NYS driver license or ndid, unexpired us passport or us birth certificate

Lawful precense in the US, example us unexpired passport or passport card, us birth certificate

social security number... social security card or w2 form with your full ssn

nys home/residence... example utility bills or mortgage statements. You must bring two proofs issued within the previous 120 days. Document with a po box address is not acceptable proof.

Okay so here i have a few questions. How many of these things do i have to bring? Do i need to bring one for each point? Because i do have a valid us passport. As for my social security card, i have to look for that one. I do not have any w2 forms... the only thing i have is a 1099 from a bank for savings account.

Also I live in my family's house... thus I do not have any bills in my name. The only thing that is in my name would be my bank accounts like bank of america, capital one etc.

So based on this, what should i do? Does this complicate the situation more because my non driver identification card already expired?

The thing is i recalled when i renewed my nondriver id the last time, i went to the dmv and filled out the forms, then took a picture and then they sent it to me in the mail. I don't recalled what i brought there but i do recall i did bring my us passport and i think that was it. So did this change from a few years ago? I don't recall having to bring any social security number or w2 etc or anything else on this list. And back then i also lived with my parents. But i believe when i last did this, my nondriver id card did not expire yet.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:37 AM

I like to mention that my nys non driver expired about a month ago. Thus its not expired for years etc.

So i like to know what is my best option if

1. I want to renew my nys non driver id but take a new photo

2. I want to renew my nys non driver id but use same photo... so everything the same

Also no matter what one i choose, it will still take the same amount of time to receive it... is that correct?

Old 09-30-2018, 01:21 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
If it still exists, there was a mid-town Manhattan one (West 34th, maybe?) which was supposedly faster.

There also used to be a telephone line that could answer questions.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:16 PM

Hi there thanks. But isn't that mid manhattan very slow? I went there a long time ago and said to myself never go there again because oft the long lines.

But in my situation where my non id card already expired, could i just bring that and my valid passport and that is good enough?

Thanks.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:30 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Hi there thanks. But isn't that mid manhattan very slow? I went there a long time ago and said to myself never go there again because oft the long lines.

But in my situation where my non id card already expired, could i just bring that and my valid passport and that is good enough?

Thanks.

Do not understand why such a simple query generates so much bother and nonsense.

https://dmv.ny.gov/id-card/renew

https://transact2.dmv.ny.gov/photodocrenewal/

Just what is it from either of the two above that is so very difficult to comprehend?

Gather up required documents and go to whatever DMV office suits and be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City