Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:12 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,488,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Good points. What's best for one person may not be best for another person. So it's really up to the individual or the family to decide what's best for them. There really isn't an answer for what is best for Black Middle Class New Yorkers because at the end of the day, you're dealing with individual people who have every right to decide on how to live their lives as individuals, not as a political ideology or a race.
If people are forced to leave because they can no longer afford to live in NYC and because they aren't able to enter into the economic segments with the better paid jobs it isnt them just choosing to live where they want to live.

Many have moved South to find that the opportunities aren't there and the pay is too low.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I think the future of Black New Yorker is AA/Caribbean will be replaced by Africans.
Immigrants from Senegal, Guinea and Mali are living in over crowded conditions and are worse off than are either middle class AAs or Caribbean blacks. When west Bronx becomes gentrified or rents move beyond what their minimum wage jobs can sustain what will they do? Yonkers and Mount V can only accommodate but so much.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well said!
Funny you have always said that middle class blacks are under represented in the more lucrative parts of NYC's private sector. They dont earn enough to live in the city and so many leave. They then find GA and FL not always offering the opportunities that they expected.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some just move further inland, if they stay in the Northeast, as well. People may not realize that besides Mount Vernon, the bigger cities in NY State with the highest Black percentages are in Upstate. While they are primarily African American, there are people coming from Africa and the Caribbean as well. They aren’t just moving within city limits in these areas either.
When Caribbean people leave NYC they go South. What is there to do in the North? At least the weather is usually better down South. Black populations in the North are largely legacies of when ample blue collar jobs existed, but those days are long gone. No point moving for cheap rent if no jobs exist.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:46 PM

92,474 posts, read 122,730,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
When Caribbean people leave NYC they go South. What is there to do in the North? At least the weather is usually better down South. Black populations in the North are largely legacies of when ample blue collar jobs existed, but those days are long gone. No point moving for cheap rent if no jobs exist.
There are Caribbean populations in Upstate NY(Rochester comes to mind immediately) and there are other jobs besides factory work in other parts of the North(inc. Upstate).

There are also African immigrants/refugees in many other Northern cities/areas as well.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:03 PM

15,931 posts, read 6,720,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post

What is the future of these black middle class neighborhoods in NYC? What will St. Albans look like in 10-20-30 years?
Don't feel bad .....................
Many folks from many different neighborhoods are slowly leaving the city to more tax and job friendly states.
Those on decent fixed pensions will attempt to stay and survive in New York only to realize they too will
eventually have to leave New York out of necessity thanks to Billy and Andy's overspending. It will take a huge
government bailout to pull this city out of the toilet in which it is heading within the next two years........
that's when the crap really begins to hit the fan.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:26 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,275,971 times
Middle Class?

New York?

Future?

Heheheh.
Attached Thumbnails
The future of the black middle class in New York City in the 2020s and 2030s-free-printable-giraffe-coloring-pages-kids.jpg  

Old 02-16-2019, 09:28 AM

983 posts, read 926,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpCitizen View Post
So apparently I'm "racist" (a lot of people complained to the moderator 'cause I noted the fact that all black societies have been failures when SOMEONE ELSE brought up race in a thread that wasn't even about race!!) but I will say that I'd rather have Chinese neighborhoods than any other non-white kind.

Is that racist? Is this a black forum? If so I'll avoid like I avoid black and brown neighborhoods in the city.

Chinese neighborhoods are safe, even the low-income ones, and they're full of inexpensive but fairly good food (whether "authentic" ones or the old-fashioned corner chop suey joints).

Higher-income Chinese neighborhoods (Asian, whatever -- am I "racist" now 'cause I'm lumping them all in together with Koreans/whatever???) of course have all the benefits of most higher income locales: quiet and cleanliness in addition to safety and cheap decent eats.

I don't think I'm racist simply for telling the truth. And I'm not even the one who brings race into the conversation! Why am I penalized for it??? Why the hell is anti-white/anti-Chinese (Asian, whatever) okay but calling a spade a spade????? Are most people here black/hispanic, is that it???

I get some of your points but stereotypically (and probably truly) Chinese are very insular and don't integrate or learn English in highly concentrated neighborhoods, which is why I would NOT rather have Chinese neighborhoods over, say, south american ones or west asian (Indian etc) ones

Old 02-16-2019, 09:30 AM

983 posts, read 926,091 times
The entire middle class is disappearing from the city, whether black or not

Old 02-16-2019, 10:54 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,267,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
The entire middle class is disappearing from the city, whether black or not
Because the middle class is the liberal politicians worst nightmare. Get rid of the middle class and the so-called liberal politician knows they'll have full control of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City