U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 09:44 AM

1,885 posts, read 1,908,795 times

Advertisements

Are you in a preference group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 11:08 AM

4,470 posts, read 3,794,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
This is really not at all complicated.

Your lottery number is assigned by chance. It has nothing to do with when you submit your application (as long as you do so within the period the lottery is open). That's what makes it a lottery.

Once your number has been assigned, a lower number is better than a higher one. They start with #1 and work their way down. However, higher log numbers with preferences may be chosen before lower log numbers without. If there are fifty apartments set aside for people with preferences, they will work their way through the preference group--from lowest to highest number--before returning to the non-preference group. So a person with a log # of 3000 with a preference may be chosen while a person with a log # of 1500 without may not be.

Who struggles with this? How is this hard?

i gave reps

Old 12-26-2018, 08:06 AM

7 posts, read 4,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Are you in a preference group?
I am not, but the apartment I have now i was not in the preference group and got called 3 months after the lottery closed. maybe all cases are different but i was living in Brooklyn and had a log number 143 for an apartment in the bronx and got the apartment right away.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:08 AM

7 posts, read 4,421 times
Quote:
This is really not at all complicated.

Your lottery number is assigned by chance. It has nothing to do with when you submit your application (as long as you do so within the period the lottery is open). That's what makes it a lottery.

Once your number has been assigned, a lower number is better than a higher one. They start with #1 and work their way down. However, higher log numbers with preferences may be chosen before lower log numbers without. If there are fifty apartments set aside for people with preferences, they will work their way through the preference group--from lowest to highest number--before returning to the non-preference group. So a person with a log # of 3000 with a preference may be chosen while a person with a log # of 1500 without may not be.

Who struggles with this? How is this hard?

I have to disagree randomperson2 - maybe all cases are different but i was living in Brooklyn and had a log number 143 for an apartment in the bronx - i got called about 3 months after the lottery closed and i was not in any of the preference group.... Do all boroughs have different rules?

Old 12-26-2018, 08:42 AM

1,885 posts, read 1,908,795 times
No, the boroughs do not have different rules, but different buildings can. By that I mean that for instance, not all developments have community preference. It is being phased out, and some buildings have it and others do not. Did your Bronx building have it?

The PDF for each development gives important information. You should read that carefully. I didn't realize that when I was helping my friend with her applications in 2015. We had no idea what community preference was and how it was crucial in helping her get selected.

In the case of the Fulton development, I just found the PDF and looked at it. This is a special case because the land for it was taken from NYCHA. For that reason, current NYCHA residents get an additional priority. Here's what the PDF says:

Preference for a percentage of units goes to:
 NYCHA Residents* (25%)
 Residents of Manhattan CB 4 (50%)
 Municipal employees (5%)

So as you can see, when you add up all the preferences, "outsiders" are eligible for only 20% of the units.

I'm sorry if anything I've posted here is repetitive. I haven't read the rest of the thread. My bad, I know!

Old 12-26-2018, 03:02 PM

850 posts, read 388,690 times
Why do you think what happened contradicted what I said? You had a very low log number. Depending on how many preference setasides had to be filled first and how many applicants there were, it's not at all surprising that you got called relatively early. They finished the preferences and started in on the regular applicants.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:13 AM

12 posts, read 3,704 times
My log is in the high 5#,### but I have NYCHA preference but not CB. I'm in the 160% bracket. Do I have a good chance?

Old 01-06-2019, 09:57 PM

850 posts, read 388,690 times
Anyone in the 160% bracket has a decent chance most of the time. I've gotten calls in that bracket with log numbers 10K and 20K higher. That said, it was a full year or more into the process. I wouldn't base any life plans around it.

...Uh, how are you NYCHA and earning that much?

Old 01-06-2019, 10:20 PM

6,154 posts, read 5,586,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMorty View Post
My log is in the high 5#,### but I have NYCHA preference but not CB. I'm in the 160% bracket. Do I have a good chance?
Quote:
Anyone in the 160% bracket has a decent chance most of the time. I've gotten calls in that bracket with log numbers 10K and 20K higher. That said, it was a full year or more into the process. I wouldn't base any life plans around it.

I was going to ask the same thing?

Old 01-07-2019, 08:57 AM

2,565 posts, read 2,059,923 times
Quote:

MrMorty, if you are cheating NYCHA you will not only owe all that back rent,but you may also face prison time. In addition, you will be submitting to NYCHA the proof that you make 160% AMI whilst having lived in NYCHA. You can bet your bottom dollar that the proof you submit will be used against you!

Read here: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doi/down...ycha_30904.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or