Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 AM

64 posts, read 61,098 times

Advertisements

Walking around there the garden last week was amazing. I saw a bunch of other mothers strolling their babies around and it seemed like you left the city. Are there any good neighborhoods right near there, walking distance to the Bronx Botanical Gardens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 09:34 AM

106 posts, read 59,659 times
I like Belmont (Italian neighborhood) it doesn't feel like you are in The Bronx at all, then I would say Morris Park which is solid middle class (Italians, Albanians, Indians).

Old 10-12-2018, 10:28 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,597,767 times
Depending on how you feel about it, Norwood and the northern part of Bedford Park, particularly what struts against Moshulu has been considered good in the past. I haven't been up there much, but I find it's not bad at all. Some trouble areas, but at least it's more like a neighborhood rather than a huge swath of ghetto/slum like say, Morrisana.

I'm also partial to Pelham Parkway. I don't have any issues with any part of it except the projects on the northside of the actual parkway. Van Nest is fine, but kinda gives me an eerie desolate rundown feel. That neighborhood needs more commerce maybe.

Then of course Woodlawn.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:02 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,613,261 times
We live in Bedford Park, and the NYBG was one of the things that attracted us to the neighborhood. As others said, Pelham Parkway is next to the park too, and Belmont and Norwood are close also. Woodlawn is only a few minutes on the metro north and Van Cortlandt Village is within walking distance.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:17 PM

15,909 posts, read 6,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowery View Post
I like Belmont (Italian neighborhood) it doesn't feel like you are in The Bronx at all, then I would say Morris Park which is solid middle class (Italians, Albanians, Indians).

I have never in all my days on this planet ever seen a run down neighborhood that had an Italian population.
I believe it all had to do with the old culture. Old Italians always put money into their houses as a sign of wealth.
They kept their gardens beautiful. They dressed modestly but always clean. They believed Cleanliness is next to
Godliness. They swept their stoops .They swept the sidewalks. They swept the streets. Don't know about today but
that's what I grew up around for years. There would be no such thing as a bad or run down neighborhood if these ideas
were employed in every neighborhood in New York instead of just a few. Got to love it.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:33 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,261,135 times
I don't know the Bronx very well, but the area where Mosholu Pkwy runs through seems nice.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:59 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,577,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I have never in all my days on this planet ever seen a run down neighborhood that had an Italian population.
I believe it all had to do with the old culture. Old Italians always put money into their houses as a sign of wealth.
They kept their gardens beautiful. They dressed modestly but always clean. They believed Cleanliness is next to
Godliness. They swept their stoops .They swept the sidewalks. They swept the streets. Don't know about today but
that's what I grew up around for years. There would be no such thing as a bad or run down neighborhood if these ideas
were employed in every neighborhood in New York instead of just a few. Got to love it.
You mean that in Italy there arent bad and dirty neighborhoods ? I recall Belmont being cleaner at one time in the recent past. I know that Morris Park and Throggs Neck that have Italians in them are also clean. Yet, I know that in Morris Park and Throggs Neck, cause my sisters own houses there, have Hispanics and non Italians and beautify their homes. Its about neighbors, landlords caring. Also how visitors to neighborhoods percieve them. I for one know that teachers, construction workers, and people who shop on my block in Castle Hill usually dont litter on my quiet block which is well tended by the Hispanic and Black owners of the one and two family homes. And I have been known to sweep up across the street, which does not have any houses, where people who park, often outsiders, and empty their cars dirt onto the curb. Its just about home owners as you said caring. I blame programs like section 8 and absentee landlords who take any tenant with a voucher and City policies who promote the rights of bad tenants for dirty areas.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:25 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,573,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Oh thats just QC. That is one of his least questiable posts.
Oh that's not good

Old 10-13-2018, 05:09 PM

5,075 posts, read 2,282,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Racist much?

("the demographics seem to make it questionable"??)
And what are the demographics of your neighborhood?

Old 10-13-2018, 05:51 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,573,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
And what are the demographics of your neighborhood?
I'm really curious: why does it matter?

What is the point of all this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City