Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times

Advertisements

And I don't get why people trick themselves into thinking that their area is immune to crime. Even most of the so-called "desirable" areas have major drug issues and other problems beneath the surface. Its always hilarious when those ditzy soccer moms are interviewed on the news and act completely shocked when something happened in their neighborhood. They don't even care about the crime or the victim.. just the fact that it happened near them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 07:45 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Kind of interesting. My grandmother lived in Inwood on the top of Manhattan...The last block or so of Riverside Drive. She was a very long term Democrat ward gal. She could actually get you a city job. I know...I worked on a Manhattan construction crew my sophomore summer in college. That was actually my Grandfather but they both had pull.

One morning coming back home from shopping on Dyckman street she got mugged on Riverside Drive. She however had her wallet buried deep in a constructed pocket. And she fought back screaming loudly...the super from the next building to where she lived heard her and came running. They then jointly beat the chit out of the mugger. He ended up in the hospital for a couple of weeks then went up for 15 years or so. She was vindictive and knew the DA well. And this is an 85 year old.

So beware of old broads...some still have teeth and claws.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:51 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Excuse you?

I was born and raised in NYC, thus didn't have much of a "choice", so get down off that cross we need the wood.
You didn't have a choice where you are born but once you are old enough you do have a choice. Many people leave "home" as teenagers.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:57 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You didn't have a choice where you are born but once you are old enough you do have a choice. Many people leave "home" as teenagers.

Happy and well adjusted kids don't "leave home" as teenagers.

Everyone I know and or things hold dear was on SI when growing up, so why would I want to leave?

Maybe in *YOUR* world kids pack up and move to get away from their families; me and mines don't roll that way.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
See? You people keep going on about how South Shore isn't "changing" on SI. Well just look at the homeless perp and his lengthy rap sheet.

https://abc7ny.com/exclusive-video-s...on-si/4469793/

https://www.silive.com/news/2018/10/...rt_river_index

Back in the day you didn't have this mess south of the expressway. Largely because certain elements kept themselves to their own neighborhoods on North Shore. Now thanks to over development, diversity and "inclusion" they are free to wander all over.

That was a horrible crime...those violent subhumans should all be caged instead of being let loose on any NYC street...

politically, I assume it is de blasio's way of giving back to conservative communities like SI who didn't vote for him...or his way of claiming war on the republican base by deploying a lot of undesirables into your community. it is a white collar crime, mr de blasio...

Old 10-13-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post

do you truly prefer to see productive and tax-paying residents like bugyspal (i assume he is, correct me if I am wrong, bugyspal, lol) to leave NYC to make room for those violent subhumans? how will that benefit your agenda in the long run...

what is wrong with those of you who are nasty to members when they speak up against criminal acts??

Old 10-13-2018, 08:46 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
do you truly prefer to see productive and tax-paying residents like bugyspal (i assume he is, correct me if I am wrong, bugyspal, lol) to leave NYC to make room for those violent subhumans? how will that benefit your agenda in the long run...

what is wrong with those of you who are nasty to members when they speak up against criminal acts??

Nobody is asking him to leave; that is fully his personal choice.

Its just that if he doesn't like diversity, things changing and is scared of different "elements" being around him then there's a million better places in this vast country that would better suit him. Its not his complaints of the homeless that is problematic [they get on all of our nerves] *but* his unhappiness with diversity and things changing (which is what our city was founded on). New York is a tough town and you gotta have thick skin; if not then you're bound to be miserable.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 10-13-2018 at 09:03 PM..

Old 10-13-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Nobody is asking him to leave; that is fully his personal choice.

Its just that if he doesn't like diversity, things changing and is scared of different "elements" being around him then there's a million better places in this vast country that would better suit him. This city was founded on diversity and things always changing. New York is a tough town and you gotta have thick skin; if not then you're bound to be miserable.

If diversity brings horrible violent crime like the one posted, any sensible people will be and should be against it. I am not a fan of SI by any means, and will never move there, but I hate to hear that criminals are finding their way into a safe community which will likely turn it into a ghetto in no time.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
A homeless man with an extensive criminal record is not an example of diversity in a neighborhood. An example of diversity in a neighborhood is for example the block I grew up on, where Black people, Jewish people, Puerto Ricans, and Chinese were all homeowners. A lot of you like to take these contemporary terms and just twist it until it suits your logic.

Mr. 7th, I don't think that any reasonably educated people would be against any peaceful diversification process. it is the ongoing political movement that packs crime-prone "elements" into the diversification bag and dump them upon established and safe communities is problematic. Let's hope that this posted crime might be a single isolated incident occurring in the south shore of SI; but it could mark the beginning of a new era for SI as OP fears. You have lived in NY long enough to know how many safe middle class neighborhoods went downhill when the undesirables found their way into them. And most often, it started with ONE incident, followed by two, three, and on and on until things went completely out of control.

Not long ago there was someone here crying about how Pomonok changed from an oasis to a crime-ridden place, and that is typical how things evolve:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-flushing.html

After you see enough of how things evolved, it is legitimate for OP to worry about the future of his beloved rock. Nothing wrong with that. It is sad that people don't learn from those tragic precedents to be proactive in preventing the fall of the remaining safe neighborhoods for your fellow NYC residents.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:22 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Eric Coleman was arraigned on a misdemeanor assault charge and harassment.

Guy will be out before his soup gets cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City