Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:50 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Large part of the problems with homeless and other egits on South Shore is same as in the city; the trains.

Ferry/Saint George is lousy with homeless and whatever. The SIRT (which is has been free to ride for years) runs from the ferry out into SS; so just as with the subway in city you have "bums", homeless, drug addicts and so forth riding out to areas they shouldn't be, and or just going back and forth on trains all day and night until service ends.

Back in the day even with the fare people who had no business being out on SS didn't bother going. There was nothing out there for them and they got what was coming to them if started any mess.

Now of course NYPD in name of "equality" or whatever won't do anything to homeless or whatever unless or until they commit a crime, and or are a clear threat to themselves/others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol

So if the problem is the free trains, then how come the North Shore has the higher crime and no trains? Mariners Harbor, Castelton Avenue, Richmond Terrace, no train.....

Every neighborhood that the SIRT runs through should be just as bad as any real hood on the North Shore

Sorry but to blame your problems on a free train all of a sudden (when the train has always been free) makes absolutely no sense
Did not say NS did not have crime, and yes parts of those areas have been bad for years.

OTOH you did *NOT* have homeless, drug addicts and whatever other suspects wandering out around SS back in the day. Please don't tell me otherwise, I grew up on SI remember?

Once past Rosebank trestle and looping around through Grasmere and on down to New Dorp and so forth you barely saw AAs period. Wandering around (especially after dark) was something they just didn't do, well not if they were smart. Same as for parts of Bayridge and Bensonhurst.

You didn't belong out there, and people knew it; so only reason for being there likely was *suspect*.

For your further information a good part of the North Shore largely was fine well into the 1980's. Yes, you had pockets of "hoods" in New Brighton, West Brighton, Port Richmond and Mariners Harbor, but it was contained. Rest was perfectly fine, that began to change as the "hoods" expanded.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:46 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Translation: Us whites believe the negros are destroying everything and we long for the good ol days when hate crimes against minorites was commonplace on staten island.
You have to be honest though, black people do have a tendency to ruin neighborhoods.
I've seen this myself in multiple US cities from Cincinnati to Baltimore to Miami.

I'm not saying all black folks are bad, but when large numbers of them move into white areas, those areas tend to go downhill.

If you go into any major metro area in the US, the black neighborhoods are almost always run down, high crime, high poverty, etc.

How can you blame white folks for wanting to avoid those problems?
I don't hate black people, I just don't want them screwing up my neighborhood.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:50 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
If nobody brought us here in the first place we wouldn't have these problems

Should have left us in Africa.

LOLOL...x100...you just won the most compelling argument of the year, mr 7th...

I am waiting to hear what the white human smugglers have got to respond...

Old 10-15-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
We used to say the same about a lot of gentrified neighborhoods in NYC. Only time you saw White people in certain areas was to buy drugs. Wandering around after dark was something they didn't do if they were smart either. Isnt that funny Bugs?

Always has been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALE6ENavvJQ

Old 10-15-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Welp

We should have never been brought here to begin with
If it wasn't to USA, blacks were going to end up in the new world either way. Or have you forgotten the Portuguese (and later Spanish IIRC) had a strong slave trade (helped along by Africans selling Africans into bondage) long before first blacks set foot on these shores.

So if not "here" then it would certainly have been nearly all of South America, and much of the Caribbean Islands that were colonized, invaded or whatever by Europeans.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:04 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
You have to be honest though, black people do have a tendency to ruin neighborhoods.
I've seen this myself in multiple US cities from Cincinnati to Baltimore to Miami.

I'm not saying all black folks are bad, but when large numbers of them move into white areas, those areas tend to go downhill.

If you go into any major metro area in the US, the black neighborhoods are almost always run down, high crime, high poverty, etc.

How can you blame white folks for wanting to avoid those problems?
I don't hate black people, I just don't want them screwing up my neighborhood.
Its much more complex than that and there's a lot more to it under the surface. It's actually not just the black people ruining those neighborhoods. It's also:

1. The white slumlords who own most of the properties that let everything fall into disrepair.
2. The depopulation and abandoned homes caused by *white flight*.
3. White companies targeting even well-qualified blacks/hispanics with sub-prime mortgages leading to high foreclosures, abandoned homes and decimated property values.
4. Legal systems that arrests/charges blacks at much higher rates for minor offenses (like smoking weed); which results in them entering the criminal justice system and being unable to get jobs (and much more likely to be homeless, resort to crime for survival and unable to support their families). Studies show that whites and blacks smoke at about the same rate but blacks are still up to 15x more likely to get arrested.

If none of these points make any sense to you and you think that this is all some sort of "liberal conspiracy" then congratulations, you are priveleged [and blind]!

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 10-20-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City