Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 08:35 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,353 times

Advertisements

On the 1-2 or A/C trains the guy I see often is a black guy with the congo drum. He tells a story about the history of the drum and congo and its origins. But its a scripted story and drum line too. He's a cool New York guy and does not pressure riders too hard about money. Ive seen him mentoring another younger guy with another congo:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
So was/is the late Jerry Lewis for reasons wholly known only to the French.
You might have your reasons why you don't like break dancing, best known to you. I hate rock so sue me!

Old 10-19-2018, 10:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I'm with caribny. Breakdancing was dope. I'd love to see some bboys contorting to some Kraftwork remixes.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:34 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,756 times
They are still around it usually dips when school starts because the trains get more crowded. I am yet to witness someone actually get kicked in the face. I just dream of that day I see it, and then that person be a CD data poster and come on here and post about how they were just racially attacked on the train..., I'd crack up.....

Old 10-19-2018, 01:10 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It's been a long time scence I have such people doing thier buck dancing over the top moves that defy the laws of gravity and bojangling kicks. Did these dancers now have jobs now? What gives. Just wondering.
Subway Gentrification

Old 10-19-2018, 01:24 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
On the 1-2 or A/C trains the guy I see often is a black guy with the congo drum. He tells a story about the history of the drum and congo and its origins. But its a scripted story and drum line too. He's a cool New York guy and does not pressure riders too hard about money. Ive seen him mentoring another younger guy with another congo:
I've seen him! On the downtown 1 train on Sundays. He's alright. Doesn't really bother me. Most musicians don't but one or two are just...awful.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:18 PM

31,908 posts, read 26,970,741 times
If these "Showtime" or whatever people/kids put half the effort they do into their some kind of performances towards education, they wouldn't be in such a sorry position in life.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:00 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It's been a long time scence I have such people doing thier buck dancing over the top moves that defy the laws of gravity and bojangling kicks. Did these dancers now have jobs now? What gives. Just wondering.
yeah I was noticing the same thing recently I havent seen showtime in a long while

maybe one too many took an upper cut to the jaw during a top bar flip move

Old 10-20-2018, 08:59 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,353 times
There's subway dancers who do the bare minimum, and then there's the subway dancers who use the ceiling and walls of the subway, and they seriously have some crazy subway practice. The whole subway dancer thing likely originated in NYC? The performers who use the ceiling and stuff are the real deal street kids and their feet will be swinging around and come within inches of passengers faces and stuff. It's weird how some people do not move and just sit there so close to them swinging around.

I see the Mexican mariachi band often. They are Mexican singers and guitarists and a bass guitar too, with the one women who doesn't sing or anything and just goes around with the hat for cash after the song. They really get the cash in there, and the women always has the look on her face like she is disgusted with everyone who put cash in there? She never says thank you or anything but people put cash in her hat. They may be my favorite performance. I really like the pureness of traditional Mexican songs like that but I never put down any money and they are obviously not US nationals. Times Square may be their home base in the subway system.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:25 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If these "Showtime" or whatever people/kids put half the effort they do into their some kind of performances towards education, they wouldn't be in such a sorry position in life.
Some people are not the studying type. Nothing wrong with that. They should join some dance troupe & tour or join a dance academy and become professional dancers, acrobats, whatever. I have a feeling some of these kids are really talented and love what they do. It would be nice if some scout recruited them. Maybe they did! Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: