U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:12 PM
DAS

2,276 posts, read 3,729,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Yes Longwood is now the name of the area East of the Prospect Ave/Intervale stations, and West of the Bruckner...it is part of Hunts Point, however they are now trying to expand Longwood West of Prospect Ave/Intervale ave stations. I don't agree with expanding into that area because Longwood is strictly a subsection of Hunts Point, and not Morrisania. Areas west of the train are definitely Morrisania, and you can tell a significant difference when you cross either side of the train stations.
Maybe it will take an expansion of Longwood, or a name change, or whatever you would consider this change to be, in order for there to be any real change in Morrisania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 03:56 PM

731 posts, read 1,270,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
In another thread concerning the names of Bronx neighborhoods, what you are referring to as East Morrisania is now considered part of Longwood.
Maybe, specifically the portion between East 163rd Street and East 167th Street. What I consider East Morrisania can be blended into Crotona Park East from East 163rd Street to the Cross Bronx Expwy east of Prospect and Crotona Avenues.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 11,300 times
Default Its a bad place

"My husband and I are buying our first place and it seems that South of Bronx is an easy commute to Manhattan and is also affordable. Real estate agents are doing their part of the job and promoting Concourse Village near Yankee Stadium as the "next hot thing"."

I had a kid pull a shot gun on me in the court yard in Concourse Village fifteen years ago. Almost got killed. I worked as a security guard there for one night, worst night of my short security guard career. Never went back.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 PM

66 posts, read 143,969 times
There's a bldg called Executive Towers that is coop and has luxe amenities but is relatively inexpensive, though prices have gone up. You can see it from the concourse or the 4 train. I'd check the NY Times real estate section since there's a fair amount of places going coop or that are already coop. The South Bx, esp in the Bruckner Blvd area, is becoming more hip and artsy. There is already a well established antiques district, along with the Bronx museum of the arts and other cultural amenities. A lot of build up in terms of attracting tourists to the area for Bronx cultural tours. SoBro is a real phenom, but has not taken off as much as one might imagine, probably because of the economy, but I'd say the area is up and coming.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:49 PM

66 posts, read 143,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvatore1989 View Post
"My husband and I are buying our first place and it seems that South of Bronx is an easy commute to Manhattan and is also affordable. Real estate agents are doing their part of the job and promoting Concourse Village near Yankee Stadium as the "next hot thing"."

I had a kid pull a shot gun on me in the court yard in Concourse Village fifteen years ago. Almost got killed. I worked as a security guard there for one night, worst night of my short security guard career. Never went back.
The area has improved since then, and as I said, there are a lot of coop developments in this area of the Bronx and others. Just look online in the NY Times real estate and you're good to go; you'll have more listings than you'll know what to do with.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,648 times
Default concourse village

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
My husband and I are buying our first place and it seems that South of Bronx is an easy commute to Manhattan and is also affordable. Real estate agents are doing their part of the job and promoting Concourse Village near Yankee Stadium as the "next hot thing".
We live in Washington Heights right now and we would be willing to move to what would be considered as a less safe neighborhood, but with hopes that that will change.
Any opinions about this?
Perhaps someone who just moved there from Manhattan could voice their thoughts, impressions?

I grew up in the area, less than 2 blocks from there. I lived there from the age of 7 til about 28, I'm now 40. The east side of concourse village near the projects has always been plagued by robberies and drugs. There used to be shootings almost daily from the projects directly across the street. The Concourse Village security seems to be scared of diverting the droves of young kids that hang out on Concourse village east. Now as far as Concourse Village west, this side is more quiet well kept and "safe". I often drive to the neighborhood to see family and friends and though the police presence is more noticeable things still seem to be the same. The area is definitely making building improvements, but now the new problem for that area is traffic jams. with 2 new malls a new courthouse a new stadium new apartment buildings and the worst highway in the city (the cross bronx expressway) all in the same area traffic is crazy. it can take over an hour to drive 1 exit on the major deagan. The apartments inside Concourse village are decent and are being renovated but the areas crime and traffic should definitely be considered. On a nice evening just cruise around the ENTIRE neighborhood in either direction before you make your final decision. Good luck hope this helps

Old 06-28-2011, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
I'm sorry to respond to such an old thread, but I'd just like to give my own input. The Concourse Village area will always receive plenty of attempts at gentrification(New Yankee Stadium, Gateway Center, Park land), but at the end of the day, these will simply be tourist attractions. There is too great of a number of low lives here for there to be any real chance of true gentrification for a very long time. There is no such thing as "luxury" housing in this neighborhood! Make all of the comparisons you'd like between the West and East sides of Concourse Village, but at the end of the day they are both part of a run-down lower end Mitchell-Lama housing complex. Just yesterday, Concourse Village Management removed the benches from the courtyard on the West side because of continued vandalism and drug-dealing that occurred in the late night/early morning. Are the temptations of inexpensiveness and proximity to Manhattan enough to make you overlook how much of a hellhole this place is? The Concourse Village neighborhood and the pockets near Yankee Stadium will be nothing more than a tourist attraction. After those 81 home games and 2 college football games, everyone goes home, because they have better sense than to bother living in such a decrepit place. I too, moved to this place with my family 9 years ago in the hopes that it would get better. But to tell you the truth? It's probably gotten worse. The neighborhood sure looks better from the outside looking in, but the increasing number of undesirable people moving here is increasing every day. This neighborhood needs much more than a nice ballpark and a mall before anyone wealthy can even consider moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City