Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 02:57 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times

Advertisements

I walk by this block weekdays during my lunch hour. They are out in the open soliciting massages to any non Asian walking down the block. They are all middle age with heavy make up on their faces, not the least bit attractive. There are undercover cops in a car at the corner of this block as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 05:56 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Post picked this up a while back.

40th Road has been cleaned up. No more happy endings in downtown Flushing. They ran through the KTV circuit putting pressure on the Korean "mob" ( if you will) as well.

NYT - this is not your forte. If you want what's actually going on in Flushing in real time just ask me.

When a cat meows or a dog takes a sh** in Flushing I'm the first to know.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I read it, seems like they are not forced into it at first.
100k a year to the good ones. No different than Backpage "entrepreneurs".

Most studies have human trafficking at 1-5% of total volume. Time to legalize it.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I walk by this block weekdays during my lunch hour. They are out in the open soliciting massages to any non Asian walking down the block. They are all middle age with heavy make up on their faces, not the least bit attractive. There are undercover cops in a car at the corner of this block as well.
The funny thing is that the cops are not undercover. They have known about 40th road for decades. Vice is not a priority. Traffic tickets on the other hand....

Old 10-25-2018, 06:29 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
I'm sick of the mad bomber so finally read the article. Man, it was long and each time I thought the article was done, it kept getting worse with more bad news!

I remember that incident. It made all the local news, was talked about a lot and I suspected at the time, that the woman was probably a prostitute. I feel bad for the mom & the brother. That was hard to read. You don't often get the family perspective in cases like this.
Don't know what to say...It was a very depressing read...

I don't know if legalization is the answer, however... SMH.

Btw, I was somewhat shocked to read about that cop. I know things like that happen but...I don't know. It still surprised me.
To see it in black & white.

Also, was surprised to read that place was once where the Old Roma Restaurant was. My...have times changed...
I don't go to that area. It looks kinda sketchy and seedy even in broad daylight.

Last edited by Aeran; 10-25-2018 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 06:47 PM

When you legalize it then the Women who are actually being trafficked will come forward.

Also the eye is always on foreigners but remember the Mom pimping out her own daughter during the Giants Super bowl? Yeah just a regular Americana po dunk backwoods townie trafficking her own daughter to pay the bills. She even tried to have her auctioned off in a Black market bidding forum. Plenty of domestic human trafficking of minors right here. No borders being crossed.

The happy ending thing is a false flag politicians use as a checkbox to garner votes from frustrated underemployed housewives. Yet another tool in the political toolbox. Most "stings" happen every other year - Election years. Coincidence?

Follow the money trail.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:38 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Post picked this up a while back.

40th Road has been cleaned up. No more happy endings in downtown Flushing. They ran through the KTV circuit putting pressure on the Korean "mob" ( if you will) as well.

NYT - this is not your forte. If you want what's actually going on in Flushing in real time just ask me.

When a cat meows or a dog takes a sh** in Flushing I'm the first to know.
No, theyre still there. I work near this.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I heard that Flushing was a hot bed for prostitution, but can't say I ever been there. The sad fact is women often place themselves in these situations, when you can make hundreds of dollars in one night or work a 12 shift as a waitress and earn a lot less doing more work, which one you going to pick? The most heartbreaking part of the article is where she called home telling them about how she is being abused, but they tell her she has no choice and has to keep doing it. A lot of the time women in these situations are sending a good part of the money they earn back home to support her family. You have to wonder if the family really cares about them at all, they are just there meal ticket so they can live the good life while these women slave away for the family.
Quite clearly her family cared nothing about her, and their actions now are out of GUILT.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:35 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I heard that Flushing was a hot bed for prostitution, but can't say I ever been there. The sad fact is women often place themselves in these situations, when you can make hundreds of dollars in one night or work a 12 shift as a waitress and earn a lot less doing more work, which one you going to pick? The most heartbreaking part of the article is where she called home telling them about how she is being abused, but they tell her she has no choice and has to keep doing it. A lot of the time women in these situations are sending a good part of the money they earn back home to support her family. You have to wonder if the family really cares about them at all, they are just there meal ticket so they can live the good life while these women slave away for the family.
I disagree, I believe she choose this and was not forced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I read it, seems like they are not forced into it at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I'm sick of the mad bomber so finally read the article. Man, it was long and each time I thought the article was done, it kept getting worse with more bad news!

I remember that incident. It made all the local news, was talked about a lot and I suspected at the time, that the woman was probably a prostitute. I feel bad for the mom & the brother. That was hard to read. You don't often get the family perspective in cases like this.
Don't know what to say...It was a very depressing read...

I don't know if legalization is the answer, however... SMH.
Thank you.
I did warn you though that it was long in my post.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Quite clearly her family cared nothing about her, and their actions now are out of GUILT.
Did you read the article? Where and how did you come to this conclusion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City