Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 03:26 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Not one penny more am I giving to these egits until they sort themselves out.

Arriving Soon: Higher Subway Fares For Worse Service: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 03:29 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
I want a first class train car. Pay $5. No kids. No bums. Gotta show your pass at the door. Maybe a nice bar?

I’m kidding, but I’d go in.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I want a first class train car. Pay $5. No kids. No bums. Gotta show your pass at the door. Maybe a nice bar?

I’m kidding, but I’d go in.
Would never work; the "equality" and "inclusion" brigade would bust that idea before it even got out of the gate.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:12 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Jack the fare up by three times, then have a nfc transit card for nyc residents that’s at 3 dollar a ride or similarly upped weeklies/monthlies. This is essentially what London does. High sticker price that mostly affects non-residents and a much more reasonable effective price for residents. At that rate, it also makes sense to make daily and 3 day passes with dailies at 18 and three days at 40 all geared towards visitors.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Jack the fare up by three times, then have a nfc transit card for nyc residents that’s at 3 dollar a ride or similarly upped weeklies/monthlies. This is essentially what London does. High sticker price that mostly affects non-residents and a much more reasonable effective price for residents. At that rate, it also makes sense to make daily and 3 day passes with dailies at 18 and three days at 40 all geared towards visitors.
So what happens when or if tourism takes a hit? One really bad winter, unfavorable currency exchange and other issues.

Besides MTA doesn't have much wiggle room financially, and am not sure pushing non-residents to pay more while giving away the shop to residents is going to solve the massive financial issues facing that agency.

Subway and bus ridership is down and continues to decline month to month. Am not sure giving NYC residents (who are already avoiding NYC transit) *more* access at reduced prices is going to change things much.

Quite simply between ride shares, Citibike, changes in living and other demographics people are finding less and less use for city buses and subways. None of this even touches fact that increasingly you cannot get from A to B quickly or efficiently. I for one don't give a rat's behind how many free daily passes or whatever is given if have to jump through many hoops just to get from West 81st to West 23rd without transferring twice or more.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:03 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
So what happens when or if tourism takes a hit? One really bad winter, unfavorable currency exchange and other issues.

Besides MTA doesn't have much wiggle room financially, and am not sure pushing non-residents to pay more while giving away the shop to residents is going to solve the massive financial issues facing that agency.

Subway and bus ridership is down and continues to decline month to month. Am not sure giving NYC residents (who are already avoiding NYC transit) *more* access at reduced prices is going to change things much.

Quite simply between ride shares, Citibike, changes in living and other demographics people are finding less and less use for city buses and subways. None of this even touches fact that increasingly you cannot get from A to B quickly or efficiently. I for one don't give a rat's behind how many free daily passes or whatever is given if have to jump through many hoops just to get from West 81st to West 23rd without transferring twice or more.
Then revenues take a hit. It’s not a silver bullet nor is any other plan, but tourists are generally in to spend money and they are now a large segment of who is in the city. I don’t proffer this as what should be the only plan—I’m also in favor of congestion pricing, a lock for transit funds, reforming MTA, making its bidding process more open and transparent, developing areas near stations in order to value capture the premium transit access gives and NY politicans being competent enough to argue on the federal and state level that the city is a golden goose and has contributed far more in tax receipt than it has in tax expenditure for decades if not centuries and it needs those funds.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:07 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
NYC's municipal budget is approaching 100 billion a year. I'm sure within all that cheese the city can pony up for paying for the MTA.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:16 PM

16,074 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Fill in the hole with sand.....................

Old 10-25-2018, 06:49 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
NYC's municipal budget is approaching 100 billion a year. I'm sure within all that cheese the city can pony up for paying for the MTA.
Cuomo and Albany shares 50% of the blame. Don't forget.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

That's because Bill de Boob and city council have been spending money like sailors on shore leave.

For now thanks to increased revenue inflows (mostly tied to property taxes/RE transactions) city is raking in so much money it doesn't know what to do with it all. Well they do really; instead of giving money back to where it came from (those who earned and were taxed) BdeB and his instruments have been busy living democrat/progressive/liberal wet dreams, *redistributing* all that money by funneling it into gifts to their base; the poor, illegals, immigrants, and anyone else who can't afford to live in this city without subsidies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City