U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2018, 10:32 AM
 
1,183 posts, read 439,664 times
Reputation: 3216

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
NYC suburbs are the new banlieues
Indeed, marauding gangs in Scarsdale and the fanatical suicidal religious extremists in Rye.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2018, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,503 posts, read 6,706,356 times
Reputation: 3723
Who wants to do it?

Considering suburban NIMBY attitudes, a lot of good ideas are never implemented because someone is always getting in the way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 AM
 
12,973 posts, read 10,814,192 times
Reputation: 8794
People move to and live in suburbs because they like the existing suburban lifestyle, and don't want it to change. Specifically, they don't want to urbanize it. If they wanted urban, they'd move to the cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Who wants to do it?

Considering suburban NIMBY attitudes, a lot of good ideas are never implemented because someone is always getting in the way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,503 posts, read 6,706,356 times
Reputation: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
People move to and live in suburbs because they like the existing suburban lifestyle, and don't want it to change. Specifically, they don't want to urbanize it. If they wanted urban, they'd move to the cities.
I'm in agreement with you which is why I ask who wants to rebuild broken suburbs. Who says that these suburbs are broken; city people who would want them to build up because they cannot afford to live in the city anymore or suburban people that want things closer together looking for something closer to what they take for granted in the city?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Bronx, New York
3,525 posts, read 6,644,690 times
Reputation: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
NYC suburbs are doing just fine. Westchester, Nassau, North Jersey, Fairfield County, etc. are pretty prosperous overall
See Spring Valley, Haverstraw and Newburg, New York.....!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 11:33 AM
 
12,973 posts, read 10,814,192 times
Reputation: 8794
Urban liberals who dislike everything about the concept of the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I'm in agreement with you which is why I ask who wants to rebuild broken suburbs. Who says that these suburbs are broken; city people who would want them to build up because they cannot afford to live in the city anymore or suburban people that want things closer together looking for something closer to what they take for granted in the city?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Lower East Side, NYC
2,738 posts, read 1,818,018 times
Reputation: 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
See Spring Valley, Haverstraw and Newburg, New York.....!
Hempstead too. Elisabeth and Newark in NJ hehe. Harvey, IL, Gary and East Chicago, IN.

Wouldn't it be amazing if this country would have grown by the rail and we had a grid of railway that would rival the entire EU with small sustainable towns that dotted the land? Like in Kanto; Tokyo, Chiba, Yokohama, Saitama, and Narita are all networked extremely well by rail and you can have a rural mountain life with a train commute that's not unreasonable to the city. I'm looking at a $60k house with a commute of only 30m train ride to Tokyo Station for future retirement. I really hate the invention of the car.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 11:54 AM
 
4,570 posts, read 1,558,292 times
Reputation: 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
See Spring Valley, Haverstraw and Newburg, New York.....!
I'm only familiar with Newburgh. If your point is that Newburgh is run down, so are many places in the boroughs.

Plus Orange County more like an exurb than a suburb.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 11:55 AM
 
4,570 posts, read 1,558,292 times
Reputation: 3633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Hempstead too. Elisabeth and Newark in NJ hehe. Harvey, IL, Gary and East Chicago, IN.


Wouldn't it be amazing if this country would have grown by the rail and we had a grid of railway that would rival the entire EU with small sustainable towns that dotted the land? I really hate the invention of the car.
Most of Nassau County is not like Hemstead, it is one of the wealthiest counties in the country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2018, 02:59 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 10,814,192 times
Reputation: 8794
This is true, I don't consider Newburgh a suburb. It's actually its own little city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm only familiar with Newburgh. If your point is that Newburgh is run down, so are many places in the boroughs.

Plus Orange County more like an exurb than a suburb.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top