Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 04:05 PM

6 posts, read 4,313 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm originally from North Carolina (RDU area) and have been living in the SF Bay Area (specifically Oakland) for the past 7 years.

It's been a good run in Oakland and I've enjoyed my time here. I've met some wonderful friends and adopted a sweet cat. I love the weather and all the fun things to do here.

However, my overall happiness and enthusiasm for living here has been waning over the past few years. I'm ready for a change, and NYC is currently at the top of my list (I've also considered Charlotte, Chicago, and my hometown in NC). The Bay Area is just too expensive and I'm tired of the tech this and that (even though I work in tech)!

I'm single, have a cat and am wondering what I need to know to move to NYC. I've only been once, to Manhattan for a work trip. I'll be planning another trip soon, but here are my specific questions:

1. What are good boroughs to live in for a single woman and a cat? Brooklyn would be my first choice, but are there others? What are some good safe neighborhoods in Brooklyn that are affordable?
2. I currently pay $1031 a month for my rent-controlled studio. I'd be willing to pay up to $1800 for a studio or 1-bedroom. Is that realistic in Brooklyn or any other borough?
3. I might want kids in the future. Can a single mother make it in NYC?
4. How much money do I need to save to move-in? Brokers' fees, application fees, etc?
5. I'm looking at moving at some point in summer 2019. How soon should I look at apartments? E.g. do you pretty much have to be ready to move in right away?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice you can give me! I have a job that lets me work from home, anywhere in the world, so I'm set as far as employment goes (thankfully).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 05:06 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
"I might want kids in the future. Can a single mother make it in NYC?"

WTF!! Our society needs to stop promoting single parenting rearing...

Old 11-10-2018, 05:30 PM

Mr. Ryu, I am seriously looking for practical advice on the questions I posted above, and am not looking to debate. I hope you understand. I don’t want this thread to turn into a debate about single motherhood. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2018, 05:44 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Provide some more background

How much money are you making now?
Do you have any long-term debt?

Also, if you thought the bay area was expensive how do you see NYC?

Also, if you can just work from home then why not pick a city with a low cost of living and bank a lot of money so you can retire early.

I have a job that lets me work from home, anywhere in the world, so I'm set as far as employment goes (thankfully).

Also, one of the questions that you posted was "3. I might want kids in the future. Can a single mother make it in NYC?" Not sure why you would want to raise a baby by yourself?????

Old 11-10-2018, 06:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Very important point -- landlords are hesitant to rent to someone without a job. Google "40x rent requirement" to get more info. Basically the LL wants PROOF that you make 40x the monthly rent gross. So if the apartment is $2000/mo, you will have to prove $80K in gross income. Not sure how this works with self-employment, but it's something you should research.

There may be some exceptions to the 40x rule, but I think the exceptions occur more in areas that are not as desirable/competitive.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:37 PM

I’m not self-employed, I work for a distributed company. I make $107K a year, with annual raises. My job is stable. I have a student loan that I currently am set to pay off by the end of 2019 if I keep up my current monthly payments of $1300.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:41 PM

The reason I’m interested in NYC is because I’d like to live car free, and rely on walking, transit or Lyft/Uber. I also like the diversity and energy that comes with a big city. It’s my kind of place. It’s close enough to home (NC) that I can do quick weekend trips (not feasible in the Bay Area).

Old 11-10-2018, 07:46 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscrayon View Post
The reason I’m interested in NYC is because I’d like to live car free, and rely on walking, transit or Lyft/Uber. I also like the diversity and energy that comes with a big city. It’s my kind of place. It’s close enough to home (NC) that I can do quick weekend trips (not feasible in the Bay Area).
Almost 10 hour drive is quick weekend trip ? NYC is expensive city like San Francisco but bit cheaper

Old 11-10-2018, 07:47 PM

As for raising a child by myself — at 36, I would like to be a parent, and I’m going to go for it, even if it’s on my own. I have my whole life to get married, but only so much time left to have a kid. People have their opinions, but I have mine, too and nothing will stop me from going at what I want. ;-)

Old 11-10-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Almost 10 hour drive is quick weekend trip ?
I would fly, of course! I don’t plan to purchase a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City