Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:55 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

Amazon moving to Queens will eventually effect city residential especially Queens and Brooklyn. Other areas will see sharp increase in prices too. LIC and Downtown Brooklyn is hottest areas in city right now. Harlem and Mott Haven are to watch in few years which are in transition to become upcoming areas.

“Neighborhoods along the G line in Brooklyn will also see a higher price increase compared to the rest of the areas in the borough," says Robert Demeter of real estate data purveyor PropertyShark.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/...mazon-hq2.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 06:59 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Amazon moving to Queens will eventually effect city residential especially Queens and Brooklyn. Other areas will see sharp increase in prices too. LIC and Downtown Brooklyn is hottest areas in city right now. Harlem and Mott Haven are to watch in few years which are in transition to become upcoming areas.

“Neighborhoods along the G line in Brooklyn will also see a higher price increase compared to the rest of the areas in the borough," says Robert Demeter of real estate data purveyor PropertyShark.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/...mazon-hq2.html

Amazon has a will?

Old 11-13-2018, 07:01 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
They should build 25K additional housing units in LIC right now.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:59 PM

7 posts, read 11,363 times
Default Amazon HQ2 affecting Staten Island real estate?

Hello! I am interested in purchasing a home in Staten Island. My interest in real estate properties peaked for these reasons:
1. Amazon HQ2 coming to Long Island
2. Completion of an 825,000 sqft fulfillment center
3. Completion of Empire Outlets - a world class shopping center on the waterfront
4. Homes everywhere else is just too damn expensive. Staten Island is still very much affordable.

My instinct tells me that completion of these projects will mean more jobs, which means more people moving to the local area, which means increase in housing prices.

I know the Amazon HQ2 is a bit far from Staten Island, but homes out in Long Island are already so expensive. I can see people willing to make the extra travel time to save some money on rent or home prices. This is what happened in the Bay Area (I own a house out there too)

I want to ride that wave of buying property on the cheap before the influx of techies and workers flood the area and drive home prices up. Are my spidey senses accurate? I am interested in all feedback on this. Thank you for your time.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:01 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Y'all in Queens/Brooklyn are SO SCREWED! Housing and tax breaks. Honestly, I can't figure out why a supposedly SAVVY business man would pick NYC. You have no real vacant land upon which build, i.e. higher costs because of Re-development. the transportation infrastructure is MAXED out, meaning more miserable commuting. Truly a STUPID move by Bezos boys.

I tell you this, Amazon will be able staff up faster and have happier employees in Nashville than either D.C. or NYC.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:04 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Don't you just love posters from other cities coming in here to **** on NY because their city wasn't picked?

I am on other forum sites and it is the same story there too.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:09 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Y'all in Queens/Brooklyn are SO SCREWED! Housing and tax breaks. Honestly, I can't figure out why a supposedly SAVVY business man would pick NYC. You have no real vacant land upon which build, i.e. higher costs because of Re-development. the transportation infrastructure is MAXED out, meaning more miserable commuting. Truly a STUPID move by Bezos boys.

I tell you this, Amazon will be able staff up faster and have happier employees in Nashville than either D.C. or NYC.

In case you've missed it; Mr. Andrew Cuomo/NYS is going to get the land for Amazon in LIC one way or another. Please keep up.

Same ways they did for Hudson Rail Yards, Columbia University and a host of others. New York State has some of the most powerful eminent domain laws in the nation which stink if you happen to own the property being sized, but is great for those the state is giving the gift of your property.

Pick one; Lincoln Center, Stuyvesant Town-Peter Cooper Village, and many others places all were built on land acquired by the state via eminent domain. Robert Moses made extensive use of that process to bulldoze entire neighborhoods (including what became Lincoln Center), until he was finally stopped.

The "Bezos Boys" aren't stupid; by teaming up with Cuomo to do an end run around NYC's complicated (and costly) land review process Amazon will get that land at far less than it otherwise would have to fork over.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:24 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post

I think it's funny how people talk about these Amazon jobs in a vacuum. These are going to be high tech jobs for people with computer science backgrounds. Show me where the huge tech work force is in Nashville right now. New York City already has a lot of tech professionals so Amazon doesn't have to start from scratch.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:43 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I think it's funny how people talk about these Amazon jobs in a vacuum. These are going to be high tech jobs for people with computer science backgrounds. Show me where the huge tech work force is in Nashville right now. New York City already has a lot of tech professionals so Amazon doesn't have to start from scratch.
Nashville Amazon piece announced today appears to be focused on logistics management which is quite strong in the Southeast.

In addition, the full headcount buildout, from what I read, in all 3 cities is planned on taking 5-7 years.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:54 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Have you seen LIC recently. The developers had at least a five year warning that this was happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
They should build 25K additional housing units in LIC right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City