Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:22 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times

Advertisements

They don't have to do any of that. There employees will be paying taxes in NY. They'll be spending money in NY. Amazon itself will be generating secondary economic activity in NY, instead if that happening in Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
We? What we? What are we getting back? We are giving up a lot for them to be here. This only benefits Amazon and perhaps whoever they hire. Are you planning on getting job with Amazon? Is Amazon guaranteed only to hire native NYers or whoever that counts as? Are they going to send their employees out to lunch only at the small mom and pop restaurants or bodegas already there or get delivery from them only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 11:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Amazon does a lot of cloud service for the government. With Amazon being in Crystal city. Amazon is just a strone throw away from Pentagon, Langley office for the Cia, nsa office. And fbi office across the Potomac. Amazon can store alot of federal data for the government.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:42 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Quote:
Will we get more tax dollars from huge, giant, corporation, or its employees? Potentially speaking. I am sure we get more out of the Corporation and its shareholders than its employees. I doubt Amazon pays its employees that much to offset that difference.

How exactly is bringing in a couple of paper pushers, desk jockies working in online retailing suppose to "grow and change" NYC? We already have plenty of those. Basically in your other posts, you are stating Amazon is coming here for the stuff we already have. So how will it change now?
$100k average per employee is a lot in my books. This isnt their distribution facility.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They don't have to do any of that. There employees will be paying taxes in NY. They'll be spending money in NY. Amazon itself will be generating secondary economic activity in NY, instead if that happening in Washington.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
$100k average per employee is a lot in my books. This isnt their distribution facility.
Doubt the taxes we collect from the new employees will offset the taxes/fees we waived for Amazon to be here. If that easy, then honestly we never have money problems to begin with. NYC has always had lots of big companies here.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:24 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Quote:
Doubt the taxes we collect from the new employees will offset the taxes/fees we waived for Amazon to be here. If that easy, then honestly we never have money problems to begin with. NYC has always had lots of big companies here.
The average income per person in NYC is significantly less than $100,000 per year. That's why it's not that easy....

Old 11-17-2018, 04:19 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times
The budget problems NYC/'S has have nothing to do with lack of revenue. It's because of lack of control of spending due to corruption, mismanagement, and politicians propensity to buy votes with both tax collection's and debt.

Quote:

Old 11-18-2018, 04:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Will we get more tax dollars from huge, giant, corporation, or its employees? Potentially speaking. I am sure we get more out of the Corporation and its shareholders than its employees. I doubt Amazon pays its employees that much to offset that difference.

How exactly is bringing in a couple of paper pushers, desk jockies working in online retailing suppose to "grow and change" NYC? We already have plenty of those. Basically in your other posts, you are stating Amazon is coming here for the stuff we already have. So how will it change now?
You're really bitter, aren't you?

LIC not too long ago was a post industrial wasteland. I'm happy to see it be developed, and I'm happy to see major corporations such as Uber, Lyft, Jet Blue, and now Amazon with operations there.

I'm from Queens originally (not know) and I recall when we had to do long commutes to Manhattan or LI for corporate jobs. Now that isn't necessarily the case.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:19 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm from Queens originally (not know) and I recall when we had to do long commutes to Manhattan or LI for corporate jobs. Now that isn't necessarily the case.
The commute has only gotten longer for most Queens residents over time. A 61 year old commuter said on the daily news his 1 hour trip from Jamaica to downtown eventually evolved into 2 hours over the past 30 years. Now I know, he should have changed employers by now. But the point remains objectively that the commute has lengthened for most.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The commute has only gotten longer for most Queens residents over time. A 61 year old commuter said on the daily news his 1 hour trip from Jamaica to downtown eventually evolved into 2 hours over the past 30 years. Now I know, he should have changed employers by now. But the point remains objectively that the commute has lengthened for most.
In part because the MTA deliberately slowed down the trains. The city also stupidly tore down the 2nd and 3rd Avenue els without replacements. And for that matter the trolleys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: