Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:04 AM

195 posts, read 130,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedThatApt View Post
That's probably it, you look very young and as I said people tend to be condescending with young people, watch how grown-ups interact with kids. It's so freaking weird LOL they get this voice and this expression, and I am not talking about babies I am talking about kids old enough to carry a conversation and know when you are being fake. Try not to let it bother you, but if it does, just say something, don't worry too much what others think of you advocating for yourself, it's their problem, not yours.
I will say something next time, but I don't like confrontations. It's especially not a good idea to possibly upset the waiter or waitress, because again, you never really know if that person is emotionally mature to accept the feedback, or if they will try to retaliate by doing something unscrupulous to your food. For this reason, I will continue to not express my concern with waiters/waitresses, but will show my displeasure by leaving a very small tip.

I will however correct people who call me Sweetie in shops. I stopped off at the magazine stand, before leaving JFK airport. Of course, I had the pleasure of being called "sweetie" by the clerk.

As I waited for my change, I wanted to scream, "My name is not sweetie, please don't call me that," instead, I just waited for my change and left the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 08:05 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
I arrived at JFK yesterday and ordered food at a restaurant. The waitress kept referring to me as "sweety" and "sweet-heart." It was very un-nerving for me, especially since I observed that she was calling other people "Ma'am" and "Sir."

I really wanted to tell her that I strongly dislike being referred to as "sweety," but decided not to, because who knows what she would have done to my food, out of spite.

I know this is not specific to NYC, but it appears that it always happens whenever I'm in NYC *[at restaurants, in shops, out and about, etc]. Keep in mind that I usually dress professionally, and tend to behave in a professional manner as well.

Is there any polite way of addressing the manner, without coming across as obnoxious? Why won't service people simply call everyone, "miss, ma'am, or sir," as a general rule?

You know there are a lot of people who are offended being called ma'am as well, right?

Yikes, I went to a diner yesterday and the waitress called me sweetie and hun. I guess I should've been offended. Nah, I probably have real things to be offended by in this life.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:09 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I would have thrown the plate of food in her face and exclaimed, How DARE you call me sweet. I’m absolutely not sweet. In fact I’m a b@$tch.

Just kidding, I wouldn’t do that because I’m not overly sensitive and not b$&tchy.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Good gravy! Why so sensitive? Maybe you look a little like that waitress' daughter, who just left home and she's killing herself missing her. Maybe you look like the daughter she never had but wishes she did. Maybe you look like the first pleasant person she's seen this morning and she can't help wanting to be around you. Look at it from her viewpoint for a change instead of yours.
I think people who work in service jobs should be respectful to all customers. It should be a rule that waiters and waitresses NEVER call any patrons "sweetie," or "sweet heart," regardless of how they perceive the person. Perhaps she felt that I could have been her daughter, but regardless, the fact is, I'm not her daughter and I should have been afforded the courtesy of being call "Ma'am."

Starbucks' barristers get the name of the customer, while taking the order. When your drink is ready, they simply call you by your name. This is the best approach.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I would have thrown the plate of food in her face and exclaimed, How DARE you call me sweet. I’m absolutely not sweet. In fact I’m a b@$tch.

Just kidding, I wouldn’t do that because I’m not overly sensitive and not b$&tchy.
Why the need for the snarky comments? What have I done to you to warrant this level of disrespect?

Old 11-19-2018, 08:37 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Were you wearing SWEATPANTS that Said JUICY SWEETIE on the BUTT?

Old 11-19-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Were you wearing SWEATPANTS that Said JUICY SWEETIE on the BUTT?
Very funny. I don't even own a pair of sweatpants.

If I'm working out, I wear yoga pants and a tee that always covers my bum. I believe --workout clothes are for the gym, and should not be worn as regular every day attire, outside of the gym.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:59 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
I arrived at JFK yesterday and ordered food at a restaurant. The waitress kept referring to me as "sweety" and "sweet-heart." It was very un-nerving for me, especially since I observed that she was calling other people "Ma'am" and "Sir."

I really wanted to tell her that I strongly dislike being referred to as "sweety," but decided not to, because who knows what she would have done to my food, out of spite.

I know this is not specific to NYC, but it appears that it always happens whenever I'm in NYC *[at restaurants, in shops, out and about, etc]. Keep in mind that I usually dress professionally, and tend to behave in a professional manner as well.

Is there any polite way of addressing the manner, without coming across as obnoxious? Why won't service people simply call everyone, "miss, ma'am, or sir," as a general rule?
As a young person who has been disrespected like that in the past, if you don't like it, speak up. The people calling you "insensitive" can kiss your you know what. You're asking for respect as a human being, the same way she's respecting everyone else that she was serving, and if you want to be called "Ma'am" then that's your right. I find "sweety" to be inappropriate depending on the environment and who is using it. She doesn't know you like that to call you that. People always take it upon themselves to cross the line. Not ok. I'm in my 30s but people remark that I still look like I'm in my 20s, and while it's flattering, I command respect. For people that don't know me, it's "Sir". I can even live with buddy or boss if I speak with the person regularly, but "homes" or any of that other nonsense is not ok. We don't know each other like that. Keep it professional.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
As a young person who has been disrespected like that in the past, if you don't like it, speak up. The people calling you "insensitive" can kiss your you know what. You're asking for respect as a human being, the same way she's respecting everyone else that she was serving, and if you want to be called "Ma'am" then that's your right. I find "sweety" to be inappropriate depending on the environment and who is using it. She doesn't know you like that to call you that. People always take it upon themselves to cross the line. Not ok. I'm in my 30s but people remark that I still look like I'm in my 20s, and while it's flattering, I command respect. For people that don't know me, it's "Sir". I can even live with buddy or boss if I speak with the person regularly, but "homes" or any of that other nonsense is not ok. We don't know each other like that. Keep it professional.
Exactly, +1!

But how would you address them, without creating conflict or a confrontation? I don't really have this problem in my professional life, it's mostly when I'm out and about.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:06 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Could not have said it better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: