U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:13 PM

415 posts, read 805,201 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am from Wisconsin and I am totally shocked when I hear about how expensive it is in NY. Is it really that expensive? New York looks so fast and too crowded, I hope to visit one day. It is just so many people. How do you guys do it? It does look exciting but it looks so cramped. Well God Bless, and Stay Safe!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 07:45 PM

2,541 posts, read 7,826,196 times
Yes it is very expensive, but there are some places that lots of people consider to be less desirable that are still fairly cheap

A great example is Washington Heights. Lots of people think that you have to be rich or have rich parents to live in Manhattan, but it is absolutely false.

Wash Hi is in Manhattan, and has large rooms, and cheap amenities around and for the low rents it is definitely a steal

It is relatively safe now, and has great hole-in-the-wall restaurants all over.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Yes it is very expensive, but there are some places that lots of people consider to be less desirable that are still fairly cheap

A great example is Washington Heights. Lots of people think that you have to be rich or have rich parents to live in Manhattan, but it is absolutely false.

Wash Hi is in Manhattan, and has large rooms, and cheap amenities around and for the low rents it is definitely a steal

I remember when I was a teenager I always wanted to live in Manhattan, one of my favorite shows was Moonlighting, with Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheperd. I guess alot of media has really gave NY a bad rap.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:10 AM

757 posts, read 2,312,493 times
On the other hand, I pay nothing (directly, at least) for gasoline.

My household income is less than the US average. If you live frugally (and I certainly don't feel deprived, but then my wants and needs are modest (clunky old tv is fine, have no iPod, etc.) you can enjoy the city's amenities and cultural offerings. Then again, one of the reasons I can live this way is that I've lived in the same rent-stabilized apartment for over 30 years.

I grew up in a small, quiet suburb. I spent my childhood trying -- and failing -- to fit in a conformist culture. Living in New York, it was not a matter of trying to fit in but of having such a diversity of people, that I could build a circle who accepted me on my own terms. Money can't buy that.

Actually, I guess it can among some types. But who wants to be loved for their money?

Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
On the other hand, I pay nothing (directly, at least) for gasoline.

My household income is less than the US average. If you live frugally (and I certainly don't feel deprived, but then my wants and needs are modest (clunky old tv is fine, have no iPod, etc.) you can enjoy the city's amenities and cultural offerings. Then again, one of the reasons I can live this way is that I've lived in the same rent-stabilized apartment for over 30 years.

I grew up in a small, quiet suburb. I spent my childhood trying -- and failing -- to fit in a conformist culture. Living in New York, it was not a matter of trying to fit in but of having such a diversity of people, that I could build a circle who accepted me on my own terms. Money can't buy that.

Actually, I guess it can among some types. But who wants to be loved for their money?

That is a great way to put it, Money can't buy happiness, just the appearance of it. I totally agree with you!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:28 AM

7,903 posts, read 13,948,073 times
It's expensive. Everything is more expensive here.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:19 PM

332 posts, read 470,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post

This is not true. Washington Heights is "fairly cheap" FOR NEW YORK. Compared to everywhere else in the country, it's still expensive.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:22 PM

67 posts, read 222,050 times
New York City is more expensive then many other American cities....its also more succesfull and popular then many other American cities.

But compared to other international cities New York City is not that expensive. Look at London, the Tube is not cheap and you have to pay more money the farther out you go. They already have congestion pricing. Here in New York swipe your metro card for $2.00 and you can travel throughout the 5 boroughs and into Westchester County

Old 04-06-2008, 04:24 PM

20 posts, read 65,632 times
Moved here from New York in 2006 - Taxes being the biggest issue. Colorado Springs is a wonderful place, but it is NO Manhattan. I miss the hustle/bustle - busses and taxis - but that being said, I love the 4 seasons, I can park my own car in my own garage (without paying 1000/mo+ parking rent) and the people here are as nice as they are in NYC. That's a sad stereotype of NY. We are just more to the point.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:48 PM

257 posts, read 900,324 times
I never found goods in NYC to be that much more expensive than anywhere else (clothing, etc. at chain stores), food, in Manhattan atleast, I always found to be pricey, but you get good quality so it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City