Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:10 AM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicep20 View Post
But the fact is they have already established a small Chinatown on Avenue U over the last 15 years, and all you have to do is ride the Sheepshead Bay trains to see their increasing numbers at the Sheepshead, Neck Road and Ave U stops. The Russian immigration to the area is waning now (not like 10-20 years ago when it was huge every year) while the Chinese immigration is increasing.

They are already established in Sheepshead and moving in. Look what the Chinese have done for Sunset Park and Bensonhurst home values. It has been wonderful. Sheepshead Bay is inevitable
I don’t think it’s inevitable and Chinese immigration numbers are overall going down as well, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 09:26 AM

60 posts, read 58,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don’t think it’s inevitable and Chinese immigration numbers are overall going down as well, no?
20,000 per year compared to 2,000 per year and dropping for the Russian immigration into NYC. I have seen the transformation to Chinese in my Bensonhurst gym over the last couple of years. It's been an incredible number. Just a matter of time for Sheepshead Bay.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:37 AM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
20,000 per year compared to 2,000 per year and dropping for the Russian immigration into NYC. I have seen the transformation to Chinese in my Bensonhurst gym over the last couple of years. It's been an incredible number. Just a matter of time for Sheepshead Bay.
Aren’t Chinese immigration numbers dropping as well?

Old 12-11-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Aren’t Chinese immigration numbers dropping as well?
Where did you get that information? I would be very surprised. Show me.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,501 times
What exactly allows Chinese people to come to NYC and stay here illegally without being deported back? Can someone please break that down for me quick?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:27 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
why do you claim they are illegal? they cannot climb the border walls to enter illegally. most low income immigrants enter through family ties and the high income ones enter with H1B and EB5 visas

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
What exactly allows Chinese people to come to NYC and stay here illegally without being deported back? Can someone please break that down for me quick?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:19 AM

The Best of Brooklyn’s Chinatowns

https://www.whatshouldwedo.com/blog/...wxb_jY9nua8NuU

Old 12-15-2018, 10:58 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
why do you claim they are illegal? they cannot climb the border walls to enter illegally. most low income immigrants enter through family ties and the high income ones enter with H1B and EB5 visas

They over stay their visa's or ignore deportation orders. There are other ways to get her illegally other than physically climbing a wall. I believe the illegal Irish also go undetected though I don't know how large they are in numbers. Ditto Russia.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The Best of Brooklyn’s Chinatowns

https://www.whatshouldwedo.com/blog/...wxb_jY9nua8NuU
"Now it’s time to try the “second” Chinatown, Avenue U, aka Little Hong Kong. You can get there by Q train directly from Manhattan’s Chinatown if you’d like. Restaurants, fruit stalls, beauty and nail salons, and electronics dealers fill the busy streets between Coney Island Avenue and Ocean Avenue"

You look at that quote from the article and every single one of those things (Restaurants, fruit stalls, beauty and nail salons etc) are happening now not just on Sheepshead Bay's Avenue U, but beginning on Sheepshead Bay Road as well, 2 stops further on the Q line.

Last edited by Bicep20; 12-15-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 11:03 PM

313 posts, read 212,678 times
Quote:
"Now it’s time to try the “second” Chinatown, Avenue U, aka Little Hong Kong. You can get there by Q train directly from Manhattan’s Chinatown if you’d like. Restaurants, fruit stalls, beauty and nail salons, and electronics dealers fill the busy streets between Coney Island Avenue and Ocean Avenue"

You look at that quote from the article and every single one of those things (Restaurants, fruit stalls, beauty and nail salons etc) are happening now not just on Sheepshead Bay's Avenue U, but beginning on Sheepshead Bay Road as well, 2 stops further on the Q line.
When calling Homecrest the "second Chinatown" I think it's disputed between Homecrest and Bensonhurst because both started popping up around the same time, also Bensonhurst is much larger. Also I think that Sheepshead Bay overall won't be as much Chinese population as the other Chinatown simply because in both Bensonhurst and Sunset Park, the Italians moved out in the 90s and the Norwegians moved out in the 80s, so the Chinese settled in faster. With Sheepshead Bay, since no one is really moving out, I think it will stay a mix between Eastern Europe, Caucus, Turkish and Chinese with old Italians and Jews for a while. But again I could always be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City