U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM

7 posts, read 391 times

Advertisements

With Bensonhurst taking over as the largest Chinese population in Brooklyn/NYC as Sunset Park becomes more yuppified, is it inevitable that the migration to southern Brooklyn continues for new Chinese immigrants? Avenue U is already Chinatown. I read that there are something around 20,000 Chinese immigrating per year to NYC vs only about 2,000 Russians a year. Is Sheepshead Bay next?

I believe it has been beneficial for Sunset Park and Bensonhurst property values and I believe it would help Sheepshead Bay too. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

55 posts, read 16,846 times
The yuppie in Sunset Park are more toward Greenwood Heights and 3rd,4th, and 5th avenue. My thoughts is that Chinese immigration to the US is slowing down. Chinese will hold onto Sunset Park, Bensonhurst, and just hug Avenue U along Sheepshead Bay. Everything else in Sheepshead Bay is Russian or former Soviet people.

Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,528,052 times
Russians will slowly move away. The 2nd generation just assimilates to American life like the Italians and moves out. There are no new significant waves of immigrants coming from Russia itself anymore either. The only country that will potentially send more immigrants is Ukraine, but they are much smaller.

I think the Russians will be replaced by the Chinese and Pakistanis/Muslims spreading from the Neptune ave area.

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

7 posts, read 391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Russians will slowly move away. The 2nd generation just assimilates to American life like the Italians and moves out. There are no new significant waves of immigrants coming from Russia itself anymore either. The only country that will potentially send more immigrants is Ukraine, but they are much smaller.

I think the Russians will be replaced by the Chinese and Pakistanis/Muslims spreading from the Neptune ave area.
Agreed. 10 times the amount of Chinese coming to NYC each year compared to Russians coming in.

What do you think of Sheepshead Bay ever getting the yuppies and hipsters to come in? I think there is a chance one day. Beach is walking distance. Emmons is restaurant row.

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

261 posts, read 55,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicep20 View Post
Agreed. 10 times the amount of Chinese coming to NYC each year compared to Russians coming in.

What do you think of Sheepshead Bay ever getting the yuppies and hipsters to come in? I think there is a chance one day. Beach is walking distance. Emmons is restaurant row.
Because it's too far South.

Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

3,525 posts, read 1,849,780 times
Agreed, it's a bit too far for yuppies

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Agreed, it's a bit too far for yuppies

Disagree. 40 minute train ride to midtown. When Yuppies and hipsters get priced out of North Brooklyn (and they already are) where else to go? Southern Brooklyn is the next frontier. Won't happen overnight. 5-10 years.

Bensonhurst Gravesend, Midwood, Marine Park, Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach are all on the radar screen.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

261 posts, read 55,808 times
Quote:
Disagree. 40 minute train ride to midtown. When Yuppies and hipsters get priced out of North Brooklyn (and they already are) where else to go? Southern Brooklyn is the next frontier. Won't happen overnight. 5-10 years.

Bensonhurst Gravesend, Midwood, Marine Park, Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach are all on the radar screen.
Bay Ridge is pretty comparable to Bushwick/Ridgewood already in terms of rent.

Marine Park is just not gonna happen with that crowd.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

21 posts, read 2,025 times
Quote:
With Bensonhurst taking over as the largest Chinese population in Brooklyn/NYC as Sunset Park becomes more yuppified, is it inevitable that the migration to southern Brooklyn continues for new Chinese immigrants? Avenue U is already Chinatown. I read that there are something around 20,000 Chinese immigrating per year to NYC vs only about 2,000 Russians a year. Is Sheepshead Bay next?

I believe it has been beneficial for Sunset Park and Bensonhurst property values and I believe it would help Sheepshead Bay too. Thoughts?
That is a scary number that should shock all Americans. No one country should be sending so many people to this country nevermind city.

I'm not sure how Flushing doesn't have the largest Chinese pop. It now has it's own Asian skyline as you pass by Citifield. It's basically a satellite Chinese city at this point and growing day by day. English isn't spoken anywhere.

Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM

20,462 posts, read 22,009,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyLouBlvd View Post
That is a scary number that should shock all Americans. No one country should be sending so many people to this country nevermind city.

I'm not sure how Flushing doesn't have the largest Chinese pop. It now has it's own Asian skyline as you pass by Citifield. It's basically a satellite Chinese city at this point and growing day by day. English isn't spoken anywhere.
Itís true that itís within the great tradition of America to be shocked, shocked I tell you!, with the sheer numbers of foreigners coming on to our beautiful precious soil. Certainly werenít happy with the throngs of Irish who came in massive numbersóor those Italians! Holy crap, those numbers at the peak are as terrifying as anything today and thatís with a proportionally way smaller population! Americaís still on the fence on how all those Italians worked out though. Definitely traveled to a part of the US where Iíve been told the Italians arenít real whites and arenít real Americans, so maybe that day of reckoning where they all get sent back is still a-coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or