Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:33 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
In NYC it's usually Spanish but I am Hispanic and speak it. The misses on the other hand is a Midwestern mixed with black and white and she gets it all the time at least here in NYC, she says this never happened back home. It does annoy her more so because she wishes she knew enough Spanish to answer people back. Some Dominican salon they actually got mad at her because they thought she was Dominican and didn't' want to speak Spanish to them. I sort of have tried to teach her, but c'mon trying to teach an adult a second language is pretty tough.
On a side note, we seem to blend in in most regions of the world we have visited. In India people thought I was Indian and would speak to me like if I was a native (didn't matter Hindi, Bangali even Tamil), they even thought I was Nepalese when I was in the northern region. Same in Morocco and of course in Spain, we seem to have that look that everyone wants to claim us. And than everywhere else people think I am Mexican, like when I visit the Caribbean or in Mexico, I do tend to get really dark when I tan so .
Did you know there are places in Morocco where Spanish is one of the main languages? Look up Tetouan, Morocco. Interesting history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 10:48 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Did you know there are places in Morocco where Spanish is one of the main languages? Look up Tetouan, Morocco. Interesting history.
Yes of course I was in Tangier and you can take a ferry across and you can actually see Spain on a clear day. Spanish and French are dominant languages depending on the regions. I sort of lost my mind when some natives could switch from Spanish, French, Arabic and than English.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:29 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
In NYC, has anyone ever assumed you speak a language that you don't?
Yes of course but very rare. The biggest shock for me was going to a Walmart in Doral near the Miami airport. NOT ONE WORKER SPOKE A **SINGLE** WORD OF ENGLISH. Not one, and I am not exaggerating. Only a manager had the half broken English ability to communicate. You would never have known you were in mainland the United States

Old 12-04-2018, 09:49 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Have you ever been spoken to a language you don't understand in NYC?

Sure. Numerous times in Spanish but also Italian a few times when I lived in Belmont. A few sporadic instances in other languages.

No big deal.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:54 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
All the time.

Usually Spanish, and sometimes Creole.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:11 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Usually, Spanish. If I can, I'll reply in Spanish, but usually one word out of my mouth and they recognize my deficiency.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:17 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm Armenian which puts me in the Turkish/Iranian/Iraqi/Afghani realm I suppose? Maybe even Jordanian and Syrian?
Do you speak Armenian?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:23 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
No. My great-grandfather died before my father was born and he had never taught my grandfather. My best friend is marrying an Armenian girl who speaks it fluently and who’s mother is a retired language professor so maybe I can learn some.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Armenians I know own gas stations and really really don't care for the Turks, Genocide will do that to people...

Old 12-04-2018, 09:22 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No. My great-grandfather died before my father was born and he had never taught my grandfather. My best friend is marrying an Armenian girl who speaks it fluently and who’s mother is a retired language professor so maybe I can learn some.
Awesome about that opportunity! I grew up partly in Los Angeles where there was a large Armenian community and have always had Armenian friends. I love that Zankou Chicken out there--sure, not representative of an entire culture, but real good chicken (and of course a regional fast food chain doesn't encompass a culture)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: