Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:47 PM

31,657 posts, read 26,531,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Have you thought about sending it out (having laundry picked up and dropped back off)? I have never done this but I've heard there are some that are quite reasonably priced.

No business is going to allow/send their workers to make deliveries or collections that involve that sort of madness. Just think of the liabilities; God forbid that worker is injured or worse falls to his/her death. The family/estate would own that building and the employer's business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 06:51 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,595,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Have you thought about sending it out (having laundry picked up and dropped back off)? I have never done this but I've heard there are some that are quite reasonably priced.
It's actually very convenient. I started doing drop off/pick up instead due to a laundromat on my block being cheaper. It saves me a Sunday of having to watch my laundry downstairs in the basement, or spending more money just to have the luxury of doing my laundry in my apartment. I'm paying $10/wk.

I wouldn't trust delivery if the delivery guy could get hurt ala that ramp though, that just sounds terrible.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,034,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
It's actually very convenient. I started doing drop off/pick up instead due to a laundromat on my block being cheaper. It saves me a Sunday of having to watch my laundry downstairs in the basement, or spending more money just to have the luxury of doing my laundry in my apartment. I'm paying $10/wk.

I wouldn't trust delivery if the delivery guy could get hurt ala that ramp though, that just sounds terrible.
I have no idea what ramp anyone is talking about. Chava said he can't use his basement laundry for some time, so I suggested pick up/drop off. I imagine they would just go in his building and up his stairs to his apartment, I don't think there would be a ramp involved in that. But anyway he's not keen on the idea so that's not going to happen.

I would definitely consider drop off/pickup if I were living in my old situation, which was a walkup building with no laundry. But now with laundry in the basement, I can just go down there kind of late like 9:30 pm when no one else is there, throw in a few loads and come back up to my apartment instead of waiting for it down there. No one will bother it. It's not too bad although I would love to have in-home laundry someday.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:49 PM

4,740 posts, read 6,440,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't know that I like the idea of unknown people doing my laundry besides the factor of the cost.
I've been sending my laundry out for 15 years. It's a great service. The laundry comes back all clean and expertly folded.

Do you eat in restaurants? It would bother me a lot more for unknown people to be handling my food.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:54 AM

15,872 posts, read 6,676,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
No reference to our awesome mod intended, but have you ever lived in a 7 story walkup? There are quite a few of them in Manhattan and I wonder if it takes more of a toll on your knees than the usual 4-6 story buildings.

Done this my entire life. It all boils down to the shape you are in.
I was fortunate to be in extraordinary health and did not suffer any of the repercussions.
My friend who for a lack of a better word was always extremely overweight his entire life had
both knees replaced and suffers other medical complications which no longer allows him to
walk any flight of stairs period.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 12-10-2018 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-10-2018, 09:42 AM

5,289 posts, read 6,104,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I've been sending my laundry out for 15 years. It's a great service. The laundry comes back all clean and expertly folded.

What laundry service do you use? In the hinterlands, there are almost no old fashioned commercial laundries left. See link.

Any Old Fashioned "Full Service" Laundries Left in NYC?

Old 12-11-2018, 12:50 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,989,521 times
I have a friend who lives in a 6th floor walk up in the W Village. Her rent is less than $100/mo so she is going nowhere despite advancing age.
That's the great thing about many of those apartments....rent control.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:40 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,546,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I have a friend who lives in a 6th floor walk up in the W Village. Her rent is less than $100/mo so she is going nowhere despite advancing age.
That's the great thing about many of those apartments....rent control.
That is insane, her landlord is probably waiting for her to die.

She must be locked into a 1950s rent

Old 12-11-2018, 03:43 PM

7,874 posts, read 7,773,485 times
wouldn't live in a walkup EVER

not even with joan rivers estate money...

Old 12-11-2018, 03:46 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,546,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
wouldn't live in a walkup EVER

not even with joan rivers estate money...
Not even a brownstone or detached house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: