Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 10:55 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times

Advertisements

I've seen it stated many times that The Bronx is just a continuation of upper Manhattan. I don't personally agree with that, and I find there to be large differences even between upper Manhattan and the West Bronx. The East Bronx is completely different from Manhattan, it's more like Queens if anything. Even comparing upper Manhattan and the West Bronx, they're too different for me to think of the two as a continuation.

The West Bronx clearly has a higher concentration of standalone homes, twin homes, and elevator buildings. While upper Manhattan is mostly brownstones and walkup buildings.

Sure, the Bronx has street numbers that seem to be a continuation of Manhattan, but they don't match up neatly (to be fair though, that could be because of The Bronx's hills).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 11:57 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
Nope.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:41 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,575,584 times
I’m sorry, but my answer is....helllllllll no....you crazy man?

Old 12-08-2018, 03:29 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,353 times
From what Ive seen of The Bronx it flows more naturally with Manhattan than Manhattan does with Queens and Brooklyn.

Its all about those Plate Tectonics folks.. oh and river systems..

Old 12-08-2018, 03:38 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
hell no

ratchet?

yes

Old 12-08-2018, 03:42 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
It might as well be. They look pretty similar and don't have crazy out of whack differences in demographics. I think a lot of people get caught up with comparing ritzy Manhattan to the dumpy Bronx (no offense to those who live in Riverdale, etc.), but northern Manhattan isn't all that different from parts of the south Bronx IMO.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It might as well be. They look pretty similar and don't have crazy out of whack differences in demographics. I think a lot of people get caught up with comparing ritzy Manhattan to the dumpy Bronx (no offense to those who live in Riverdale, etc.), but northern Manhattan isn't all that different from parts of the south Bronx IMO.
The West Bronx is filled with elevator buildings though, while upper Manhattan is not. Harlem is also filled with brownstones while nowhere in The Bronx is.

The South Bronx looks even less like upper Manhattan, it has too much new (mostly tacky) construction.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:31 PM

313 posts, read 212,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The West Bronx is filled with elevator buildings though, while upper Manhattan is not. Harlem is also filled with brownstones while nowhere in The Bronx is.

The South Bronx looks even less like upper Manhattan, it has too much new (mostly tacky) construction.
Upper Harlem above 145 has pre-war buildings so does most of Washington Heights.

I would say the Bronx neighborhoods along the Harlem river and Mott Haven are a continuation of Manhattan. Mott Haven still has some townhouses partly made out of brownstones which can look similar to Harlem's brownstones, but the new construction doesn't look much like upper Manhattan but I think it did when Mott Haven was mostly townhouses.

I also think Williamsburg is a continuation of L.E.S at least at one time, both were geographically and demographically similar.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:41 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,353 times
When you fly over the city and see The Bronx and northern Manhattan you definately notice some of the differences in housing and other structures.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
Upper Harlem above 145 has pre-war buildings so does most of Washington Heights.

I would say the Bronx neighborhoods along the Harlem river and Mott Haven are a continuation of Manhattan. Mott Haven still has some townhouses partly made out of brownstones which can look similar to Harlem's brownstones, but the new construction doesn't look much like upper Manhattan but I think it did when Mott Haven was mostly townhouses.

I also think Williamsburg is a continuation of L.E.S at least at one time, both were geographically and demographically similar.
Upper Manhattan doesn't have nearly as many prewar elevator buildings as the West Bronx. Mott Haven might have looked like East Harlem before the 1970s though, I'll give you that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: