Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 10:41 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,381,298 times

Advertisements

If I found this purse 20 years ago I would have kept the money and had myself a bast. Today I would have returned it. I believe in karma and I have a feeling that if I kept the money, it would come back to haunt me two fold.
However when it came time to meet the person that lost the money I wouldn't be playing the part of a nice, friendly, good Samaritan. In fact I would take the time to reprimand the careless woman for not being A LOT more careful with this large amount of cash. For many people that is their life savings and if that money is very important to you, you should have it close to you at every second. It's foolishness and carelessness that caused this woman to lose her money. I would have also informed her that many other people would have taken the money and I would have no issues with that. Instead of playing the "Nice Guy" why not give the careless people in this city who are distracted by their phones all day a kick in the butt?

What good is being a nice guy going to do? People need to wake up and be more aware of their surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
A couple of thoughts. First, after learning about the NYPD's sting called "Operation Lucky Bag" I probably would not pick up a purse at all. Tourist Sues City For $1 Million After Getting Arrested In NYPD "Operation Lucky Bag" Sting: Gothamist

I hope this guy wins the settlement. Forcing people to be honest is a waste of money and resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 03:52 PM

31,733 posts, read 26,676,659 times
Today nearly all if not most subway stations have cameras, thus whoever picked up that purse may have been recorded on film.

Few probably are aware of NY's bizarre laws mandating return of "lost" property to LE, so this woman is lucky finder decided to do the right thing. At 125th street considering much of the traffic that goes through that station things could have been very different.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:09 AM

12,751 posts, read 8,213,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Partner was waiting for a bus and noticed two $50's on the sidewalk. He put one foot on each and let the next bus go by, then picked them up when he was alone.
$2.75 versus $100...

Old 12-24-2018, 11:52 AM

5,441 posts, read 5,674,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Someone carrying $10k in a purse is a tad shady.
Nothing shady. It was a Russian woman going back to Russia. $10k is the legal amount you can bring across the border without declaring it to US customs.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:14 PM

1,121 posts, read 587,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Nothing shady. It was a Russian woman going back to Russia. $10k is the legal amount you can bring across the border without declaring it to US customs.
Walking around with $10,000 cash is def shady.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:19 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,558,768 times
If something doesn’t belong to you, don’t think about possessing it because it doesn’t belong to you. Simple as that. Do t be tempted, be the one in control. This would probably only happen in my dream, as in reality, most people would just keep it to themselves. Bravo to the person who return this 10k cash.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:04 AM

25,367 posts, read 36,939,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Today nearly all if not most subway stations have cameras, thus whoever picked up that purse may have been recorded on film.

Few probably are aware of NY's bizarre laws mandating return of "lost" property to LE, so this woman is lucky finder decided to do the right thing. At 125th street considering much of the traffic that goes through that station things could have been very different.

Bugsy,

Partner's little windfall was on Palisade Avenue in Jersey City, at Bowers Street...no cameras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: