Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 09:08 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times

Advertisements

When the Manhattan DA announced that the MTA would stop prosecuting fare beaters, in the minds of many, in made fare beating essentially legal.

That decision needs to be reversed. Prosecute every fare beater, and make it a felony with six month mandatory prison sentance, and fare beating will drop to next to nothing.

They could also rework the physical setup. Make all turnstiles iron maidens, and get rid of the unprotected doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 09:57 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
As with everything else fare beaters have not changed YoY. It's the same subway stops in impoverished areas. No one fare beats in my neighborhood because it is well lit, newly renovated and several station agents and cameras. Meanwhile deeper into Queens in the 7 line the deeper you go the more fare beaters. Same with any other crime.
No, now it's spread. Now I see it everywhere, even in my "well lit, newly renovated and several station agents and cameras" stations. The worst part of these "new stations" is the fact that the exit doors are so low, people can just put their arms over them, press the bar and let themselves onto the platform. Which person created this brilliant design?

Now I see non-stop fare beating, which was not the case before, everywhere I go. Yesterday I was getting off the train for work and one person swiped, went to the door and let the rest of her group in---all nicely dressed, in their 20s/30s and not hurting for $2.75. I even see the bus drivers letting people on without paying---right through the front, not coming up the back door. Letting people know that fare beating was no big deal anymore was the most moronic thing to spread.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:14 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Letting people know that fare beating was no big deal anymore was the most moronic thing to spread.
Exactly. Like on one could see this coming a mile away.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:34 PM

286 posts, read 210,588 times
Next thing to come is law suits demanding removing of the turnstiles because it is unfair that only physically fit can take advantage of this new policy by jumping over them. Clearly discriminates against overweight and women.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:37 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
I was on the select bus Monday, 4 transit cops on, they chatted away for my whole ride, not one stop did they ask to see anyone's tickets. MTA needs to get their sh*t together!

Old 12-26-2018, 06:45 PM

190 posts, read 128,880 times
Who cares if people steal from The State of NY, little thieves stealing from biggest thieves in America corrupt NYS.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:48 PM

190 posts, read 128,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I was on the select bus Monday, 4 transit cops on, they chatted away for my whole ride, not one stop did they ask to see anyone's tickets. MTA needs to get their sh*t together!
That is good, I want police protecting us and not wasting their energy protecting the revenue stream of the elites who don't give a crap about us.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:52 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Perhaps this is a case where the MTA should be looking at underlying problems. I can see that when fares keep increasing, and services keeps deteriorating, people lose any respect for the system.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:17 PM

782 posts, read 526,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
According to NYT piece fare evasion has gone through the roof with seemingly people not giving an eff and just jumping turnstiles, walking through gates, etc..., and some times in groups.

Buses are even worse, especially SBS, where everyone and their mother justifies their nonpayment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/24/n...e-evasion.html
Fare evasion rates on SBS are actually much lower than on regular buses. The MTA estimated 2.2% fare evasion on SBS buses vs. 19.5% on NYC Transit buses for the first three quarters of 2018. There is greater enforcement on the SBS with the “eagle teams” periodically checking for payment receipts.

The data is on slide 7 of the MTA presentation: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/d...doc_181130.pdf

Old 12-27-2018, 08:38 AM

1,121 posts, read 590,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
That is good, I want police protecting us and not wasting their energy protecting the revenue stream of the elites who don't give a crap about us.
It's not they don't give a crap about us, they just think much differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City