U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 10:25 PM

18,743 posts, read 12,189,024 times

Advertisements

According to NYT piece fare evasion has gone through the roof with seemingly people not giving an eff and just jumping turnstiles, walking through gates, etc..., and some times in groups.

Buses are even worse, especially SBS, where everyone and their mother justifies their nonpayment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/24/n...e-evasion.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 07:32 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,634,046 times
Doesn’t MTA has their own police force? Why not deploy those people and have them standby to give out summons and tickets? This way, it will bring some money into the system, and they won’t say no one is paying.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:54 AM

336 posts, read 234,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Doesn’t MTA has their own police force? Why not deploy those people and have them standby to give out summons and tickets? This way, it will bring some money into the system, and they won’t say no one is paying.
While that sounds like a great plan it is unrealistic to think you can have police everywhere. People not paying goes on all the time. It really is unbelievable. On some routes in some areas almost no one pays. This is especially true about the young.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:34 AM

623 posts, read 153,878 times
I dont care about MTA fare evasion. They decided to allow it now so why should anyone care?

Your whole theory about how MTA needs to act in the peoples better interests, is futile...

Old 12-26-2018, 08:39 AM

20,364 posts, read 26,945,172 times
Patrolling cops cost a LOT more than fare beaters.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:42 AM

85 posts, read 53,368 times
I’m so tired of hearing about fare-beating when that’s not even the primary or secondary issue with the MTA these days, but congrats to their press department for so successfully shifting the conversation away from the agency’s responsibility for bad subway service.

Fare evasion isn’t why express trains average 10-12 miles per hour at rush hour or why 10-minute off-peak headways on crowded routes is “good service” or why signals keep failing or why technology upgrades standard the world over will take decades to implement.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:45 AM

18,743 posts, read 12,189,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post

Went through this before; MTA has their own police force yes, but only for the railroads (Metro-North and LIRR) which includes their various properties such as stations, terminals, yards, etc... New York City subways and buses as part of NYCT get their protection from NYPD.

This largely stems from the MTA being made up of two former private railroads: PennCentral (who owned LIRR, Boston and New Haven, etc..). Private railroads long has their own police forces to protect their property, passengers and freight. Not surprising when you consider back in the day nearly all freight moved by train. Everything from mail to packages and onto larger things. Long before UPS railroads would pick-up (or you delivered to their depot/offices) packages or whatever in say Boston. They would crate, pack and ship it to wherever (say New York City), where it would be sent along to your nephew on Park Avenue...

New York City Transit police who once were responsible for subway, bus and other transit LE were merged into the NYPD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...Transit_Police

MTA also pays the NYPD to provide those undercover or whatever officers on SBS routes that check for tickets both onboard an or as passengers exit buses.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:19 AM

1,757 posts, read 1,142,462 times
Now that there is no worry about getting ticket I literally see full grown men in business suits jumping the turnstile. The other day I was out of funds on my card in there was a massive liners get a new one. I said, f it, and did the same. Free ride!

Old 12-26-2018, 09:22 AM

623 posts, read 153,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Now that there is no worry about getting ticket I literally see full grown men in business suits jumping the turnstile. The other day I was out of funds on my card in there was a massive liners get a new one. I said, f it, and did the same. Free ride!
MTA announced that it's okay. Nobody needs to pay anymore. Why is this an issue? If you make $40K per year, and your subway tickets cost almost $2K per year... that is some savings!

I could get like 12 nice big juicy steaks per year at that sort of price (from a nice Steak House too) all just for jumping a turnstyle. I can almost smell my free steaks from here......

Old 12-26-2018, 09:47 AM

1,231 posts, read 307,588 times
As with everything else fare beaters have not changed YoY. It's the same subway stops in impoverished areas. No one fare beats in my neighborhood because it is well lit, newly renovated and several station agents and cameras. Meanwhile deeper into Queens in the 7 line the deeper you go the more fare beaters. Same with any other crime.

MTA needs to stop trying to move the goal post. Andy Byford keep your eye on the wheel!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City