Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 11:17 AM

190 posts, read 129,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Some states have mandatory staffing ratios - has there been any progress on that in NY? 1199 is a big union, but their power seems to be limited. I spent my whole life hearing about how powerful unions are and how union employees write their own tickets, but that doesn't seem to be the case with that union. The hospitals cut more and more staff and patient care is definitely affected.
1199 brainwashes its members to be miserable. Its like they inflict a mental disorder where they sit around the break room and smoking areas and blame everything that's wrong in their life on the employer. Day in day out year after year decade after decade with the senior members bragging "I worked here for 25 years and hated every day of it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 12:14 PM

254 posts, read 391,331 times
Study for your boards and pass your nclex.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:37 PM

606 posts, read 419,500 times
Yeah a lot of the 1199 nurses I've seen are older and miserable. They are worked to death and get paid crap. It doesn't help that they are slowly being replaced by agency nurses who get paid several dollars more with no benefits (only advantage they have) I guess as a new grad getting paid more than them I found myself in a bad spot of these burnt out underpaid experienced nurses trying to help out me, a new grad.

I can't speak for outside of nyc, but I think conditions for any middle class NYer is getting bad. Unions here are a joke.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:54 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Maybe because the profession is dominated by women, who as a sex aren't happy it seems on average unless they are moaning about something, but nurses rarely ever are "happy".

They weren't happy back in the day when pay stunk and working conditions were what they were; now they aren't happy with improved conditions and dramatically better wages.

Staring salary for a new graduate/licensed RN in NYC ranges from about $73k to nearly $92k plus bennies.

Know a few guys who are RNs and they are making bank. Some are travelers, others do their three 12's at one place then pick up OT elsewhere. Either way all are earning six figures and seem quite happy. Neighbor from down the block just bought a house with his husband in NJ and will commute.

Guys tell me they all go in, do their work, then go home. They stay away from the female RN kaffee klatsch with all the gossiping, backstabbing, moaning and commiserating.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:36 PM

606 posts, read 419,500 times
If they find 1:30 or 1:40 acceptable I suppose this is it. I have an RN friend who complains of her workload at the hospital so they must be affected too.

I won't be surprised if this eventually becomes a headline because there is no way this can continue forever unchecked or without big trickle down effects.

I always thought I was getting taxed a lot for a single female. But I assume the burdens are easier if you are married. Unless you own a business I suppose.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:58 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
If they find 1:30 or 1:40 acceptable I suppose this is it. I have an RN friend who complains of her workload at the hospital so they must be affected too.

I won't be surprised if this eventually becomes a headline because there is no way this can continue forever unchecked or without big trickle down effects.

I always thought I was getting taxed a lot for a single female. But I assume the burdens are easier if you are married. Unless you own a business I suppose.

If you live in NY and earn, you are going to be taxed, it just isn't for nurses. Again reasons why have do with they are paid more than in past. Would you rather go back to the days when RNs made $23k to $30k per and LPNs *much* less?

Sent a male RN friend link to this thread. His response was a majority of the drama is because women put up with conditions and thus things don't change.

Also related that ER at his hospital made a point of transferring patients during shift changes. The female RNs moaned and complained among themselves, but otherwise said nothing, so nothing changed. Once he became nurse manger made some phone calls and basically told ER to knock it off as he wasn't having his nurses abused like that. Emergency room stopped transferring patients up during shift changes, or at least gave a heads up to see if things could be worked out. Problem solved.

Not picking on the sex in general, but women do tend to internalize things and or avoid confrontation. In the business world that often gets you walked on like a doormat. Of course if you talk the talk, you've got to be ready to walk the walk. A guy in general no matter what his job/profession when he finds things he can't have, will simply quit (or threaten to). If he is a key player that usually brings management around to a sit down.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I've heard nurses at my job happy that their workload was better than many other places. LTCs have always been known for being understaffed. And nursing isn't the only problem---my field is starting to feel the shortage and it is only going to get worse in the next five or ten years. Many places have a different union besides 1199 at their facilities.

People complain and it's a matter of perspective. I hear people at my job complain about how busy they are and I laugh because compared to where I have worked before, it is light and way less stressful. But their perspectives are skewed.

Again, the comment on taxes makes no sense, because we're all taxed regardless of our professions. You might be taxed but RNs with four year degrees are making more than any other health profession with a four year degree.

Sorry Bugsy, I am a female and I tell people crap all of the time (management, directly to coworkers) and still nothing changes. Once I hopefully move later in the year, I'll start looking for something new. And I told my bosses I will be leaving, no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City