Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:47 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,557,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Ding ding ding. And NONE of us have pensions and job security. Rather than going to law school right now and being saddled with more debt I would rather have a moderately paid city job with benefits and a pension.
Most people don’t think about it in the long run. Most people just want high salary right now, and the only place they can get it is at private sector. Even private sector now has gone cheap, unless you know people higher up in the management team or else you risk of getting laid off or fire because they no longer want to pay you a high salary when they can find someone equivalent skill and expertise with much much lower pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 05:53 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,932,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Ding ding ding. And NONE of us have pensions and job security. Rather than going to law school right now and being saddled with more debt I would rather have a moderately paid city job with benefits and a pension.
Im fortunate to have one. Was never in my mindset through my college years that I would work for a government job but it worked out that way thanks to the wall street economic collapse in 2008. I was looking to work in investment banking at the time. Went to scores of interviews and zero job offers. After doing the whole job search and interview thing for 9 months, this was not meant to be and I said enough is enough, I have a kid on the way and will take any decent paying job which required a bachelors or business degree. Ended up working for the City comptrollers at 23 and have bounced around a few times since from getting picked from civil service lists. Been with the city for 10 years now, lucky to have got in Tier 4 as well. Pay is obviously less thsn private sector, but I also dont have take home work, work a 35 hr week with zero surprises, can get approved most requested leave time, have some level of job security with my union, am not being worked to death and have good benefits and hopefully a pension when I retire.

The few here who complain that being white is a negative for working in a government job have no clue. There are plenty of white employees in agencies, especially in management positions where I feel they are favored and have it better off.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:54 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,557,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Im fortunate to have one. Was never in my mindset through my college years that I would work for a government job but it worked out that way thanks to the wall street economic collapse in 2008. I was looking to work in investment banking at the time. Went to scores of interviews and zero job offers. After doing the whole job search and interview thing for 9 months, this was not meant to be and I said enough is enough, I have a kid on the way and will take any decent paying job which required a bachelors or business degree. Ended up working for the City comptrollers at 23 and have bounced around a few times since from getting picked from civil service lists. Been with the city for 10 years now, lucky to have got in Tier 4 as well. Pay is obviously less thsn private sector, but I also dont have take home work, work a 35 hr week with zero surprises, can get approved most requested leave time, have some level of job security with my union, am not being worked to death and have good benefits and hopefully a pension when I retire.

The few here who complain that being white is a negative for working in a government job have no clue. There are plenty of white employees in agencies, especially in management positions where I feel they are favored and have it better off.
There goes someone with the right attitude. For those of you who are seeking monetary value in life, I feel sorry for you. Also, if you think only private sectors have competent people, think again. As for those of you who complaint why is so hard to get a job with the city, think about what you contributed to the community. If everything in your life all you did was nothing but for yourself, then maybe is time for you to rethink about what you can do to give back to the community.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:37 AM

25,364 posts, read 36,930,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post

It was nice to read your story, nyccs.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:07 AM

37 posts, read 57,565 times
My Hispanic friend with less education and the same score received a higher list number than me (I'm white). I accept that it's the way it is, but you can't tell me that it's not discriminatory.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:23 AM

1,121 posts, read 587,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisholla View Post
My Hispanic friend with less education and the same score received a higher list number than me (I'm white). I accept that it's the way it is, but you can't tell me that it's not discriminatory.
Oh what's this all about?? This goes against the narrative of this forum.

Try this project: apply for jobs and check the box that asks if you are Hispanic. See how long it takes to get called in for interviews. They will call with urgency because discrimination is the true key behind online job applications. The companies just masquerade as "Equal Opportunity" and diversity and all that mumbo jumbo.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,932,944 times
Quote:
Its not, in event of a tie they go based on social security.

4.4.11. Candidates With Same Final Examination Rating.

Whenever two or more candidates in an examination receive the same final examination ratings, their respective place on the resulting eligible list shall be determined for administrative reasons*only by a sequence of the number derived from the last five and then the first four positions of their social security numbers.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 PM

1,486 posts, read 979,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Oh what's this all about?? This goes against the narrative of this forum.

Try this project: apply for jobs and check the box that asks if you are Hispanic. See how long it takes to get called in for interviews. They will call with urgency because discrimination is the true key behind online job applications. The companies just masquerade as "Equal Opportunity" and diversity and all that mumbo jumbo.

Checking the box can hurt or help depending on if the employer have met their diversity quota.

Ive been in corporate for over 10 years and in my experience once they reach their diversity quota its back to hiring all whites. From what ive seen it goes in this order of priority: white male, white female, black male, black female. Asians are usually lumped in with whites and Hispanics are lumped in with the blacks. Indians come last unless its in the tech department.

Now this is where the real BS comes into play and people use the diversity role to their advantage. Such as if a company hires a black, Hispanic, or an Asian female they actually fills 2 diversity roles as both a female and a minority and the hired candidate knows this and will play it to their advantage by not allowing anyone else of the same gender or minority status to join their department. Ive seen it over and over again when a position opens up and the they are reviewing resumes for the position they will google the person and see how they are on facebook, linkedin, Instagram, and other social media sites and toss candidate resumes in to the trash if the candidate will threaten their diversity role or have higher education.

Its a messed up world out there and most will not believe a lot of things until it happens to them or they see it happen to someone else.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:52 AM

34 posts, read 52,229 times
Quote:
What if I'm a temp working in a city agency and my list number is 1267? I've already been informed that I'll be converted into provisional in the near future, which will probably hold me over until I take the next clerical associate exam? I'm far from a stellar test taker and probable could've received extra time due to having a disability, but I wanted to be on equal footing with everyone else. My final adjusted score was 82.60.
As a former temp with a City agency don't hold your breath waiting for that provisional appointment. I've been repeatedly promised a provisional title from different agencies and worked with other temps and college aides the same. Fact of the matter is that the City is cutting down on the number of total provisionals (because of the Long Beach decision, not BdB) and only STEM professionals are getting those appointments. They too will eventually need to pass a test to keep their jobs. The whole point of hiring provisionally is if they need workers that aren't available on an established list or via a temp agency, and there is certainly no shortage of clerical workers. Besides, if you are a provisional you will be the first out the door come layoff time.

Your agency may be able to take you off the list into a civil service appointment, but that will likely require you to be reachable on the list. They must be willing and able to bypass over 1,100 people on that list. I suggest you ask your manager to talk to HR about that.

As for your list number, I'm sorry to say I wouldn't anticipate getting called in.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 AM

34 posts, read 52,229 times
As for as the OP, to get a clerical job you have to wait for the next exam, prepare for it (because a score of 90 is about the bare minimum you need to get appointed), wait until the list is established, then go to hiring pools. You'll still have to interview well -- the hiring managers are looking for new blood who can pick up the slack of lifers.

The most important quality you'll need as a clerical associate is following protocol so make sure you don't talk about how you like to do things your way or go reinventing the wheel at every job you take. When they ask you what would you do if you saw a coworker accepting a bribe/stealing money you'll report it to DOI. If you get a confrontational customer you have to immediately tell your supervisor.

The best part of being a temp: I used to get away with certain breaches of protocol.

If you want to get experience with the City (and the slight possibility of a foot in the door) in the meantime register with GoodTemps and hope for an assignment (they give preference to people with disabilities so if you have one, bring in paperwork. If you don't have one, get one.) You won't get the bennies but you'll get exposure to the culture and contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City