Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 03:47 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times

Advertisements

I've applied to probably about 30 jobs now through the NYC jobs portal. These are positions for which I am qualified--for example, a job advertisement says 53 WPM is a must but I can type almost twice as fast. I only apply for jobs that my current skills make me an excellent fit for as well as my education (B.A. in Jurisprudence, MSc in Law and Legal Policy). I am great at legal research, drafting, analysis, clerical duties, etc. I am also fluent in two languages (Spanish and Italian) and all these jobs postings say "foreign languages an asset."

In the past I have worked as a legal translator, an executive assistant, and I now work as a consultant in a niche legal-related field.

I've applied for positions like investigative analyst with the CCRB, production typist for the law department, trial preparation assistant, clerical support etc. These are entry level positions whose requirements meet my qualifications and whose salaries are actually lower than what I earn now but I want to work for the city because of the work/life balance and pension.

I've not been called back for any of them. And yet when I have to deal with these places in person or with other city officers/workers, I can't help but see that the people are so woefully incompetent. For example I was in the Queens county clerk's office and had to practically battle with someone to get up from their desk and notarize a document for me (!). My dad worked for the DOT for 33 years and he said some of his coworkers sleep all day, and he's even shown me video.

Why is it so hard to get a call back from the city? And why does it seem like people who DO work for the city are awful? Is anyone hiring?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:19 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Since your dad works for the city, he should have these insight for you as how it is like to work for the city. If not, that simply mean you dad stayed in one position forever and never apply for any other position with other agencies.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:24 AM

He has no insight lol. He got the job more than 30 years ago, bless his heart. He's stayed there forever.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I was lucky. Back when I got hired, no one wanted my job because it paid crap compared to similar nearby jurisdictions. I was hired in about 6 months. Now, it takes 2-3 years and they look to disqualify anyone with my background because the pay is very competitive and political tides have turned against hiring people who look like me.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-01-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
He has no insight lol. He got the job more than 30 years ago, bless his heart. He's stayed there forever.
I see...
Here is my $0.02 on city job.
Most entry job with the city, you have to see if there is a civil service title requirement. You can usually tell by that if the type said “competitiveâ€, that is usually an indication that there is a civil service title for this specific title classification.
There are a lot of small things to understand, but to simply answer your question as to why no one ever get back to you, that is normal.

I had applied over hundreds and hundreds of job with city, and they don’t ever call me for an interview, even when I know I definitely qualify.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:58 AM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
I guess the way these things work is you supposed to sign up as soon as you graduate highschool then go start working elsewhere and wait for the city to call years later for a job you no longer want

Old 01-01-2019, 09:27 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
There was an article last year that stated that even though NYC GOV had tons of job openings posted, most of them never get filled. They argued that the DeBlasio admin inflated the amount of jobs actually available for some political reason. I sort of believe it.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
I guess the way these things work is you supposed to sign up as soon as you graduate highschool then go start working elsewhere and wait for the city to call years later for a job you no longer want
Hahaha...
I feel like this statement is so true...
I took a Staff Analyst trainee back in 2012 or 2013, and I just got invited to a hiring pool right before the end of 2018. On top of that, the job description was like a lot of responsibilities, is just crazy.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I was lucky. Back when I got hired, no one wanted my job because it paid crap compared to similar nearby jurisdictions. I was hired in about 6 months. Now, it takes 2-3 years and they look to disqualify anyone with my background because the pay is very competitive and political tides have turned against hiring people who look like me.
What do you look like?

If you ask me, most city employees are minorities. No?

Old 01-01-2019, 10:06 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
If you ask me, most city employees are minorities. No?
Basically my point. Any family members of mine who've attempted to get city jobs over the last 5 years have had terrible experiences. Only one was hired and even he had issues with his impeccable record and education. Put bluntly, the city does not want to hire white people anymore unless it absolutely has to.

Let the process be color blind, that's fine, but blatant, "acceptable" bias does not solve anything.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City