Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 07:47 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,591,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
This is to actually save the city money. They want people to stop going to the ER.
I wonder how much you can make to qualify. I used to not have insurance and would go to city hospitals. They would see you on a sliding scale based upon your income. You'd bring your taxes and depending upon what you made was, what you paid for each appointment.
Has he even claimed it will save money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Europe does not use anyone to do field work. People on their own free will choose to migrate there and accept these jobs. And if they hadn't, Europe would do just fine as well. Maybe perhaps even better without all the problems that come with them. Europe (as a civilization) has been in existence for thousands of years. They seem to have fruits and milk in all that time just fine. You are telling me that all of a sudden in the last few decades, they wouldn't be able to pick fruits and milk cows without Africans, Arabs and Latinos?

If we were back in the days of slavery, somene like you would claim that the country would go into ruins without the cheap labor that the slaves provide, yet the country actually got richer after slavery was eliminated.

You run your mouth a lot around here with mostly nonsense. I am not the first to share this sentiment either.
And there are given legal status precisely because they USE people to do fieldwork. I see it DAILY.

European nations were facing demographics shortages. Too few children, plus those with good educations don't want to work in the fields and many can get better jobs. Thus they import Africans, Arabs, and Latinos to do the fieldwork.

I'm not saying that there are no Europeans today who do fieldwork, but they do indeed GLADLY accept immigrants who work in the types of jobs where there are labor shortages.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosenza View Post
Why bother being a citizen when I can get the same (or more) benefits and rights as an undocumented resident? Where's the advantage?
Voting, passport, ability to get mortgages, access to much better jobs, etc.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:59 AM

766 posts, read 507,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Voting, passport, ability to get mortgages, access to much better jobs, etc.
Almost half of citizens never vote, they can get a passport from their own country, most Americans can’t even afford a mortgage, being a citizen does not mean you have access to better jobs.

You have many non citizens living well in America. Many are business owners. The only people that benefit are business owners who gets cheaper labor by not having to pay for healthcare and benefits to the undocumented. NYC taxpayers are taking care of that for them with NYC care.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:38 AM

8,329 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
FINE.

May it be a template for making the United States into a First World Country.

Nope. In the First World countries nearly everyone pays a premium to national health insurance. As I just discussed extensively with some other people on the Retirement forum, the United Kingdom (population a little under 67 million) has a total of only 15,000 households on welfare (which is very likely much less than in NYC only), and everyone above 16 who earns more than equivalent of about $800 per month pays a mandatory national insurance contribution. Even temporarily unemployed people pay it to avoid lapse of benefits. THAT is a First World country. You cannot have a comprehensive national insurance without a large pool of insurance premiums, without almost everyone in the country paying into that pool. Nearly everyone pulling their weight is what makes a country a First World country.

Now, in the 7th paragraph of the originally posted article, it says that in the new "free healthcare for all" De Blasio plan patients will be charged on a sliding scale with the poorest ones being charged nothing. Obviously, this health care program is free only for the poorest, incl illegal immigrants (legal immigrants pay their own insurance, as I know from the first-hand experience - that is among many other things what is "legal" in the immigration procedure) - everyone else except the poorest patients pays (and pays more than before, because someone has to cover the health care of those who do not pay). What an interesting definition of free.

This is ultimately not my problem as I am domiciled in Massachusetts, but the idea has no chance of flying unless the working people of NYC are okay with the tripling cost of their health care. And no, Seventh, healthcare is not a human right, it is a commodity. You can breath air, forage for edible plants and animals, and sleep where you find it suitable - that, and pursuit of happiness, - is a human right. Whenever you obtain services from other people (like healthcare workers, providers of medication and medical devices), you always either barter something for the service or pay for it. If you want a medical spell from a tribal sorcerer, he doesn't tell you it is your right to have it, but to bring him a chicken (or whatever else his fee is).

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-11-2019 at 06:55 AM..

Old 01-11-2019, 09:12 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
This is to actually save the city money. They want people to stop going to the ER.
I wonder how much you can make to qualify. I used to not have insurance and would go to city hospitals. They would see you on a sliding scale based upon your income. You'd bring your taxes and depending upon what you made was, what you paid for each appointment.
Since this now covers illegals, they won't ask for taxes or proof of income. Illegals don't file with the IRS/NYS/NYC because they don't have Social Security numbers, so they have nothing to show.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:29 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Hence the reason why people are voting for Trump. As narcissistic, megalomaniatic and as, "grab 'em by the cat" as he may be, at least he's working to actually do something about the struggling middle class who are already being taken advantage of.
Anyone voting for Trump who thinks he gives a damn about the middle class is mentally deficient. He is not doing a single thing to help the middle class. Not one. Tax cut? Helps the rich. Border wall? Temper tantrum. I don't know anyone who think we should just open our borders all willy nilly but the wall is not the solution. Neither is shutting down the government until he gets his way.

DeBlasio takes it too far in the other direction. Can we just find some moderates?!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:03 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,628,912 times
We should just move on to universal health care for everyone. I don't begrudge the poor or even illegal immigrants having healthcare, because I think it's a human right, but I do feel resentment when so many middle class people are paying so much for bad plans. A system where the poor get one thing and middle class gets something worse just creates resentment. I think we should have a universal system paid by income tax contributions. I feel the same about college btw.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,334,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
We should just move on to universal health care for everyone. I don't begrudge the poor or even illegal immigrants having healthcare, because I think it's a human right, but I do feel resentment when so many middle class people are paying so much for bad plans. A system where the poor get one thing and middle class gets something worse just creates resentment. I think we should have a universal system paid by income tax contributions. I feel the same about college btw.
Amen x infinity

Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,540,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizfromthebronx View Post
anyone voting for trump who thinks he gives a damn about the middle class is mentally deficient. He is not doing a single thing to help the middle class. Not one. Tax cut? Helps the rich. Border wall? Temper tantrum. I don't know anyone who think we should just open our borders all willy nilly but the wall is not the solution. Neither is shutting down the government until he gets his way.

Deblasio takes it too far in the other direction. Can we just find some moderates?!
+1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City