Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:29 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
NY politicians as of late have become overzealous about their national profile in calculating their chances at the Presidency. And just to note, it didn't begin with Deblasio. Guilliani thought that being "America's Mayor" carried some national cache too because he got rid of a few squigie men and *claims* that he got NYC all the resources following 9/11 and threw his hat in the ring. Bloomberg is heavily weighing his chances right now; he's been itching to get in there for a few years now--he just hasn't tried thus far because focus groups and other polling consistently says "No" to him. After seeing Trump win, I think he feels that he's a billionaire who can do it as well. Cuomo is definitely weighing his options, his policies constantly have "we did it first, it works, and I'll spread it everywhere else", he's traveled abroad to speak as well with foreign leaders on certain issues, but I think he's waiting until 2024 because he believes Trump will do 8 years and he doesn't want to tarnish his brand. Deblasio was on the road during speaking engagements with the CLinton campaign along with all the other stuff he's been doing, he's been trying to nationalize and interntionalize his profile for a few years now.

Bloomberg set in place the gentrification that is going on in New York today.
So if you are happy with that then he is your man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 07:30 PM

179 posts, read 109,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Maybe he dreams of it - but why should I care at this point?

In general, I don't think a mayoralty is enough of a qualification for the presidency, although I suppose Giuliani and Bloomberg might have had a shot. I like that you chose the word "balance," though - as opposed to leadership, strength, or power.
Yeah --- it seems like he dreams of it but it will never happen. I also think part of the reason for the tension between Andy C. and Bill is rooted in their struggle to be top Democratic dog.

No one outside New York cares.It's amazing really how small both their national profiles are.

Fun facts --- Cuomo got 738K to write his memoir HarperCollins printed up 200,000 copies of the book.After 2.5 years it had only sold 3200 copies with Cuomo pocketing 245 bucks per book.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
I sure hope not

Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 PM

931 posts, read 801,748 times
Trump would destroy Big Bird De Blasio and/or Cuomo. Not even close! There a lot of Trump supporters and even more Trump fsupporters on the low who publicly stay quiet out of fear of being harassed by Liberals for liking Trump. You know how that goes.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:30 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Bloomberg set in place the gentrification that is going on in New York today.
So if you are happy with that then he is your man.

Actually no, Bloomberg did not.

Real ground work for the "gentrification" of NYC (in particular Manhattan) goes to David Dinkins. He was the one who got the ball started on cleaning up Times Square among other things. That Rudy G. used some nasty tactics to get DD chucked out of office and then proceeded to not only carry out those plans and expand is often why he gets much of the credit.

City was already bouncing back before 9/11/01. Bloomberg merely built upon what his two predecessors began. What Bloomberg did do was drive nails into the coffin of working class NYC. His progressive nanny state "do as I say, not as I do" policies laid the groundwork for transplants, SJW and progressive extreme liberals to take over this city and that includes government. It gave us the current hot mess of a mayor Bill de Boob for a start.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Actually no, Bloomberg did not.

Real ground work for the "gentrification" of NYC (in particular Manhattan) goes to David Dinkins. He was the one who got the ball started on cleaning up Times Square among other things. That Rudy G. used some nasty tactics to get DD chucked out of office and then proceeded to not only carry out those plans and expand is often why he gets much of the credit.

City was already bouncing back before 9/11/01. Bloomberg merely built upon what his two predecessors began. What Bloomberg did do was drive nails into the coffin of working class NYC. His progressive nanny state "do as I say, not as I do" policies laid the groundwork for transplants, SJW and progressive extreme liberals to take over this city and that includes government. It gave us the current hot mess of a mayor Bill de Boob for a start.
Ironically it was under de Blasio where housing costs started getting really out of control. Compare prices from 2013 to now.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
he's problably run with trump as his VP. balance their wackiness out.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:49 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
He's been testing the waters, which is why he has been visiting the midwest and rust belt the past years. At least he understands the need to make the electoral map work if he wants to win. Unlike some other candidates out there who spent the past 2 years discharging progressive ideologies from the pulpit and expecting voters nationwide to comprehend by the time they head for the ballot.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:59 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
He's been testing the waters, which is why he has been visiting the midwest and rust belt the past years. At least he understands the need to make the electoral map work if he wants to win. Unlike some other candidates out there who spent the past 2 years discharging progressive ideologies from the pulpit and expecting voters nationwide to comprehend by the time they head for the ballot.

It's funny because it will never happen.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:08 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,506 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City