Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 AM

15,880 posts, read 6,679,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Can you be more specific as to which agencies and what titles? Is that base pay or with crazy OT added?
I find that really hard to believe. Although I work in city government for almost 10 years now, I make nowhere near $100k. To be at $100k at base pay, one would have to be a supervisor or manager at most city agencies.

Many skilled jobs pay competitive wages................It is the potential to earn way and
beyond by sheer sacrifice of time which few want to commit that wealth is earned.
If one takes the time to knit pick.......................the job is already taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
One thing to note is that many non civil service Govt Jobs prefer foreign nationals as well. They are viewed as less expensive, less threatening and more complacent. American born citizens (that are culturally American) need not apply.

I have countless examples but one being my Japanese friend who was born here went to Japan for HS but is culturally American. You would think he is a shoe in for Chamber of Commerce role looking for Bilingual Japanese to attract Japanese Investment and business. Instead they pick Fresh Off the Boat Tatsuya who barely can speak a lick of English and doesn't know the taste of real bacon (bacon in Japan is simply not bacon). They pay him 35k (10k under the advertised rate) take advantage of his Japanese work ethic and work him 60 hours a week, give him the latest gutted Okie Doke Tier 6 Pension scheme (if any) etc.

U.S. Government loves dreamers and immigrants because they are in a vulnerable position to be accepting anything and everything. They even fight and die for this country in our armed forces. They can't use Blacks for almost free labor anymore so now it's indigenous Mexicans and Central Americans.

However, they don't understand. Once your kids are born they are viewed as too difficult to deal with because now they have American expectations. People need to realize our own wool is being pulled over our eyes, don't be sheep... 2nd generation Mexican Americans are not much better off than Grandma and Grandpa.

People need to realize our own wool is being pulled over our eyes,

This is atypical business modus operandi .
It has been in place for over 1,000 years.
No ethnicity nor culture has escaped its' grasp.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
If you think city jobs are hard to get, take that and multiply it by 3. That's federal work. It's like finding a unicorn. Not as easy as just applying and being handed a job.

Absolutely correct.
One of the most difficult jobs for civilian applicants.
One of the easier jobs if you have a military background.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Parents sending me the money..

And those poor unrefined young adults
who think they know it all because they have a degree
spending it on $1,000 dollar iphones........................
You know there are phones for $100 bucks that can do the same thing?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:54 AM

425 posts, read 388,668 times
I did okay and could say it was due mostly to my drive, but in reality timing was everything. Older millennial who got jobs and kept them through 2008 did pretty well. But many either lost jobs or came out of school around the recession and either couldn't find one or took one out of field.

That delayed their progress into the career they wanted, and getting back in is also tough because as jobs came back, companies could just give those positions to fresh grads. So there is a band of Millenials that got the short end of the straw.

I came out of college in 2005 and managed to keep my position through the hump. That afforded me the opportunity to keep career development going, and also take advantage of deeply discounted properties. I grew up here and have come and gone for 3-4 years to two different cities. I wound up buying in a two fare zone, but both my Wife's job and mine can be driven to.

NYC has gotten expensive. The influx of foreign money has created this elevated value that I don't know will be recoverable from. I love and hate NYC. It will always be a home to me, but I have lived elsewhere and seen that my lifestyle can be planted in many places. I plan to stay around for 4-5 more years and then think about moving out.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:05 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,929,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Any agency with an automatic promotion to gs 12 or gs 13 pay scale.

Many start at gs 9, then move to GS 11, GS 12.
Throw in locality pay for working in NYC. Saturday and Sunday pay. Night differential.

Alot of agencies have tons of overtime. Plus bonuses. You speak a foreign language? That is an additional 4 % on your pay.

HSI, FBI, DEA, IRS, USCIS. Secret service. Department of State. Pay rate is not as high but you work overseas in the embassies and your housing and kids school are paid for.

Many of these agencies spend millions to recruit.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...eral-schedule/

Select New York annual rate. In 4 years you move from GS 7 to GS 12 or GS 9 to GS 13 with many agencies.

Go to usajobs.gov. SELECT a region. Narrow it down to the pay grade that you would like to start at and it brings up tons of jobs with different agencies.
I was asking for job titles, not pay grades. Pay grades are often very large ranges which few employees receive. For example, the payrange for my civil service title is 64k-189k....I'm no where near even raking 100k. I have seen no one at my agency close to the max salary, most are near the minimum salary.

Also, now you mentioned having to work overseas, that's not going to cut it for most folks here, especially ones with families and kids.

As another poster mentioned, these jobs are not easily attainable. I have been with city government for 10.5 years now and have seen how long and difficult it is to get that first foot in the door job and get promoted within government. People are applying to government positions in record numbers since the 2008 recession as they value job security over higher pay. These federal jobs that pay more are going to be even tougher to get. Turnover is very low and supervisor/managerial openings are few and far between for me to apply to.

Last edited by nyccs; 01-18-2019 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,285,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
If you think city jobs are hard to get, take that and multiply it by 3. That's federal work. It's like finding a unicorn. Not as easy as just applying and being handed a job.
You have to be in it to win it. Take the test if test are required. See what areas of study are heavily recruited and study that. Study for the test. Do well. Speak to a recruiter if possible. Practice for your interview. Ace training. Think failure is not an option.

I know enough to know that it is not as hard as people make it seem. U have to be willing to put in a little leg work. A $100k+ job with pension is not going to fall in your lap.

Trust me. I work with enough co-workers who i constantly wonder how the hell they got the job lol. It is definitely not that hard. My husband works for the state and he can barely find a plate in the kitchen we have lived in for 4 years lol.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
One thing to note is that many non civil service Govt Jobs prefer foreign nationals as well. They are viewed as less expensive, less threatening and more complacent. American born citizens (that are culturally American) need not apply.

I have countless examples but one being my Japanese friend who was born here went to Japan for HS but is culturally American. You would think he is a shoe in for Chamber of Commerce role looking for Bilingual Japanese to attract Japanese Investment and business. Instead they pick Fresh Off the Boat Tatsuya who barely can speak a lick of English and doesn't know the taste of real bacon (bacon in Japan is simply not bacon). They pay him 35k (10k under the advertised rate) take advantage of his Japanese work ethic and work him 60 hours a week, give him the latest gutted Okie Doke Tier 6 Pension scheme (if any) etc.

U.S. Government loves dreamers and immigrants because they are in a vulnerable position to be accepting anything and everything. They even fight and die for this country in our armed forces. They can't use Blacks for almost free labor anymore so now it's indigenous Mexicans and Central Americans.

However, they don't understand. Once your kids are born they are viewed as too difficult to deal with because now they have American expectations. People need to realize our own wool is being pulled over our eyes, don't be sheep... 2nd generation Mexican Americans are not much better off than Grandma and Grandpa.

That has not been my experience working with the Federal gov't. Infact i was the only black person in a training class of 20 something. More than half the class were regular white Americans. Only 6 of us were immigrants.

I no longer inform friends and family when my agency is hiring. The only person that ever applied for the job was a white college grad that I met through a chance encounter. Everyone has one million excuses and disqualifies themselves without even applying.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
In addition the job security in the fed is not what it used to be. You CAN get fired for political BS on the job increasingly in many departments now which makes it riskier than private sector.

In public they pay you less in exchange for pension. But if you lose your job in year 17 because a new supervisor lied about something you did, you lose the pension and lost higher wages you could have earned in the Private sector.

PLUS you'll be subject to age discrimination AND the black mark of being a public employee and associated lower work ethic and ingenuity, making it difficult if not impossible to find another meaningful middle class job ever again.

I beg to differ. I could tell stories of people who should have been long gone who are being given 'busy work'. For the most part most are competent. Many excell.
Some law enforcement position require you to be hired by age 40, right in line with millennial age bracket.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I was asking for job titles, not pay grades. Pay grades are often very large ranges which few employees receive. For example, the payrange for my civil service title is 64k-189k....I'm no where near even raking 100k. I have seen no one at my agency close to the max salary, most are near the minimum salary.

Also, now you mentioned having to work overseas, that's not going to cut it for most folks here, especially ones with families and kids.

As another poster mentioned, these jobs are not easily attainable. I have been with city government for 10.5 years now and have seen how long and difficult it is to get that first foot in the door job and get promoted within government. People are applying to government positions in record numbers since the 2008 recession as they value job security over higher pay. These federal jobs that pay more are going to be even tougher to get. Turnover is very low and supervisor/managerial openings are few and far between for me to apply to.
There are so many jobs. USAJOBS.GOV. Narrow it down to your field of intrest. You can beleive or you can do the leg work yourself. I know enough people in different agencies to know that that I am not an anomaly. Like I said it may take you one to 2 years to get hired due to slow pace of gov'ts hiring process. But having one of these jobs is a long term strategy. Once you are in you are golden.

Department of State jobs with the embassy are usually overseas.

The people I met had spouses within the embassy. They try to accomodate and provide administrative jobs. Your housing is paid for, your kids go to the best private schools paid for by the gov't and you are paid per diem.
Many live a pretty cushy lifestyle.

For the other agencies overseas assignment are temporary. They come with all the above. A good salary. Some of my co-workers are even provided a chauffeur when they go overseas.

Like i said. You have to be in it to win it.

Last edited by LOVEROFNYC; 01-18-2019 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City