U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:03 AM

12 posts, read 3,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray0919 View Post
I was called yesterday & they told me that they reached my log number (I'm in the 600's) & they asked if I wanted to proceed. Long story short, it turns out they had calculated my income incorrectly so they had me down in the 130% AMI units when I'm supposed to be in the 80% ! They said they would look into my file and get back to me. So now I'm back in the waiting game! =\
I have a log of 8XX- in 80% too- but they have not reached out to me. I am a municipal employee but I don't think they have that preference in this lottery. Anyone else see a studio yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 09:04 AM

162 posts, read 219,164 times
Im curious. My log number is in the 9xx and I qualify for both the 1 bedroom and studio, and have disability preference. The management company rejected me Bc my income fluctuated for two months (I had major hip surgery- and took fmla and short term disability which) but have been employed for the same company and my HR has had to do a ton of paperwork. Iím back at work but dealing with MHANY has been a pain. Despite the fact that Iím in my appeal time frame it looks like they have moved past me which I donít believe they can 😒. I am in the 80% ami. Iíll reach out to HPD.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 1,107 times
Hi all,

This is our first ever experience with NYC hosing lottery so do not know much about the process.

The rough timeline:

Dec 2018: Received email saying our log number (36,xxx) has been reached. We should come for an interview and submit required documents.

Jan to mid-Feb: Did the interview. Submitted all required documents. Some back and forth about missing documents and explanation for bank transactions they raised concerns about.

Satisfied all requirements and went through above process successfully so that by Feb 15:
- we were invited to view the unit that was assigned to us (i.e. we would get if approved)
- signed documents so that MHANY could send our application to HPD

Emailed the go-ahead that weekend for MHANY to send our application to HPD. Followed-up with a call next day and was told on Feb 19 that our application will be sent to HPD today.

Did not hear back for a few days. So called again on Feb 28 and received a shocker.

I was told that MHANY has not, in fact, sent our application to HPD. After whatever final review they need to do, they were told by supervisors to go through more lower log numbers (our log number was too high). This additional review of lower log numbers is now happening and our application will be sent to HPD only if they do not find 5 other qualified applicants. If they do, we will most likely wait-listed.

This is appalling. They raised our hopes by telling us that we were at the very last step and by showing us the actual unit that they are going apply for on our behalf. And now, we will most likely not be getting processed further.

The cynical side of me thinks that something fishy is going on. Someone influential or better-connected is trying to steer the outcome into a certain direction. How could you not have realized since Dec (when we were first contacted) that our log number is too high and other lower numbers need to be reviewed first.

Frankly, we would have been OK if they had never contacted us or disqualified us on some technicality. But to confirm that we qualify, and show us the unit, give us so much hope and then to pull the rug from under our feet just seems cruel, to say the least. We are a family with two school going kids. Anyone with kids knows how difficult and agonizing a decision to move can be. Not to mention that our current lease expires 3/31, so we need some clarity NOW!

So, to come to the crux of the matter:

1. Do lower log numbers get preference?
2. What should we do to fight for our case? What recourse does one have? I feel like going to the office and talking to our case manager or their supervisor.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by bkperson; 03-03-2019 at 05:19 PM..

Old 03-03-2019, 07:37 PM

846 posts, read 387,710 times
This happened with Ashland Place, too. I think it reflects a ****-up at the administrative level--they skipped over some numbers they should not have.

Most of these agents have a level of competence that wouldn't hold up working a McD's cash register.

If you get waitlisted, you should complain to HPD. These agents get away with being so crappy because they deal with people who won't complain.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:29 PM

11 posts, read 4,821 times
FYI: 15 Bridge Park Drive officially opened on Tuesday 2/26 with a ribbon cutting ceremony. I dont know how to add the photo on this forum. I saw it in newspaper on wednesday.

Update: I was contacted on Friday 3/1 by MHany and asked to sign Request for Tax Transcript - this time for 2018, and a TIC (Tenant Income Certification). Signed, scanned and emailed everything back same day. The wait continues.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Called MHany today for an update, and was told they are trying to get all applications to HPD this week. However, also stated there is no guarantee, but they are trying. If you read the Management to HPD process online, it states the Management company must submit fully completed and approved applicant files in batches of 50 files each, in log number order (lowest to highest). With 100 apartments, there should only be two submissions. So applicants who've handed in all required paperwork I suppose are waiting until everyone, within their log grouping of 50, has handed in all required paperwork.
Anytime I call them, the ladies who I speak with are pleasant - I am sure it's not an easy job.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 PM

11 posts, read 3,348 times
Hi everyone, thanks for posting your experiences dealing with this specific lottery. I wanted to ask how you know apartments at the 80% AMI are already filled? My situation is that we applied for apartment thinking we qualified for 80% but was told we qualified for the 130% AMI; Strange too is that we received qualification email before submitting missing documents; we said we wanted to appeal and person told us you haven't been rejected so you can't appeal. We were told we only have two options: proceed or withdraw. So we're going to proceed and going to look at apartment today and just see if they actually offer us a unit at $2,472. Do you think they offered us the more expensive one because they're no more 1 bedrooms at the lower rate?

Old 03-05-2019, 01:22 PM

162 posts, read 219,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlau24 View Post
FYI: 15 Bridge Park Drive officially opened on Tuesday 2/26 with a ribbon cutting ceremony. I dont know how to add the photo on this forum. I saw it in newspaper on wednesday.

Update: I was contacted on Friday 3/1 by MHany and asked to sign Request for Tax Transcript - this time for 2018, and a TIC (Tenant Income Certification). Signed, scanned and emailed everything back same day. The wait continues.
I'm very curious - since I have a significantly lower log number than you (9xx vs. 4xxx) and also have disability preference. They aren't allowed to move past me. I am in the 80% AMI and i qualify for both the studio and 1 bedroom units. MHANY did botch my application so i'm in the appeal process, I 100% qualify for these units. If they have moved past me thats a HUGE no no. I may reach out to HPD to complain.

From the marketing handbook:

B. ORDER OF PROCESSING
1. The first applications that the Marketing Agent processes from the log and
submits to the Agency for review must be those that meet the approved
set-aside categories or preferences. For more information on processing
of preferences, see Section 5-1, ďSet-Asides and Preferences.Ē
2. Set-aside and preference categories, when applicable, must be processed
in the following order:
(1) People with disabilities (five percent mobility; two percent
vision/hearing)
(2) Community Board residents
(3) New York City municipal employees (paid by the City of New York)

8. The Marketing Agent must offer units only to applicants who meet
eligibility requirements, and only in numbered order from the lottery log
(after first processing applicants for set-asides and preferences), for whom
units of appropriate size are available.

10. Applications should be processed for submission to the Agency in batches
to prevent getting too far ahead in the lottery and potentially bypassing
eligible applicants who are placed earlier on the log and appeal
successfully within the two-week appeal timeframe. A general rule of
thumb is to process applications in batches of 50, although the number
may vary based on project specifics. Even within those batches, attention
must be given to remaining available units based on bedroom sizes and
(for mixed-income buildings) income levels to allow for such appeals. If the
Marketing Agent has questions about appropriate batch size, it should
consult the Agency.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:34 PM

While your log is less than mine, I am not looking at the Studio or 1 Bedroom apartments. Also in a different AMI. Lauren

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstwahine View Post
I'm very curious - since I have a significantly lower log number than you (9xx vs. 4xxx) and also have disability preference. They aren't allowed to move past me. I am in the 80% AMI and i qualify for both the studio and 1 bedroom units. MHANY did botch my application so i'm in the appeal process, I 100% qualify for these units. If they have moved past me thats a HUGE no no. I may reach out to HPD to complain.

From the marketing handbook:

B. ORDER OF PROCESSING
1. The first applications that the Marketing Agent processes from the log and
submits to the Agency for review must be those that meet the approved
set-aside categories or preferences. For more information on processing
of preferences, see Section 5-1, “Set-Asides and Preferences.”
2. Set-aside and preference categories, when applicable, must be processed
in the following order:
(1) People with disabilities (five percent mobility; two percent
vision/hearing)
(2) Community Board residents
(3) New York City municipal employees (paid by the City of New York)

8. The Marketing Agent must offer units only to applicants who meet
eligibility requirements, and only in numbered order from the lottery log
(after first processing applicants for set-asides and preferences), for whom
units of appropriate size are available.

10. Applications should be processed for submission to the Agency in batches
to prevent getting too far ahead in the lottery and potentially bypassing
eligible applicants who are placed earlier on the log and appeal
successfully within the two-week appeal timeframe. A general rule of
thumb is to process applications in batches of 50, although the number
may vary based on project specifics. Even within those batches, attention
must be given to remaining available units based on bedroom sizes and
(for mixed-income buildings) income levels to allow for such appeals. If the
Marketing Agent has questions about appropriate batch size, it should
consult the Agency.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 1,107 times
UPDATE: Spoke to the main point person at MHANY for this lottery. Here is what happened with our case:

Our log number came through Housing Connect website at the highest income band. So it was being processed at that income level up until the final review before sending to HPD (raising our hopes to the sky). That is when MHANY realized that we do not qualify for the highest income band and should go the next lower level (which we do qualify for).

However, there are lower log numbers at that lower income level that must be reviewed and processed before our case. Our file is complete and ready to go but will be sent to HPD only if MHANY does not find six (not five) other qualified applicants among the lower log numbers.

This review of lower log numbers will take about one month, so essentially our case is ON HOLD for one month (sigh!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or